Where did The Bible originate from?

spendius

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 12:23 pm
@Pamela Rosa,
Was that shot on Planet Smegma Pam? Directed by Mr Rimmer?

Is it an outake from Rectal Smegma - Bizarre Cannibalistic Lust Split Rectal Smegma & Namek - Sex, Drugs & Rock 'n Drol & Excremental Lesbophonic Putremageddon .

Do you mind-- this is a family forum.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:13 pm
I still think "where did the bible originate from" is bad english...
spendius

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:22 pm
@Cyracuz,
The Big Bang isn't it?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 09:01 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

So you profoundly believe in god, but do not know where this information you base your faith on comes from?
You know nothing of the intent of those who compiled the bible?
How do you then know that your beliefs create a profound spirituality, not just a profound fantasy?

Considering the source, I find this profoundly funny.
raprap

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 10:09 am
Campfire Stories

In the time before WiFi and IPods people had to entertain themselves when catching the buzz. So in the late evening when the children were asleep and the adults were sitting around the campfire telling stories and looking at the sky, one or two or a million stories arouse about wherewench we came about.

Most were poor, but some caught the imagination of others and were passed down word to mouth until paper and pencil became available and became holy scripture, the written word of the Big Kahuna.

Rap
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 10:16 am
@joefromchicago,
How so, joe?
Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 10:18 am
@raprap,
Hehehehehehehehehehehehehe . . .

Big Kahuna . . . hehehehe . . .

(Good to see you again, M. Raprap)
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 10:36 am
@Gilbey,
Watch this (please be just a little patient the beginning is supposed to be like that)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-594683847743189197#
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 11:42 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

How so, joe?

Well, in your interactions on other threads, you struck me as one of the non-dualist types, a sort of intellectual companion of JL Nobody and his ilk. I find that your positions are backed up by nothing more than profound belief, so your challenge to somebody else about whether his/her positions are backed up by any evidence is rather amusing. Surely your own beliefs wouldn't stand up to the same test.
spendius

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 12:07 pm
@raprap,
Quote:
Most were poor, but some caught the imagination of others and were passed down word to mouth until paper and pencil became available and became holy scripture, the written word of the Big Kahuna.

So we can assume that the latter were "good". Possibly "excellent".

Same thing happened I suppose with items to cover our private parts up which resulted in the excellent survivals we see in the streets.

In fact rap you have described evolution quite well. All the good preserved and the not so good extinct.

When are atheists going to start campaigning for breech clouts and fig leaves?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 12:12 pm
@joefromchicago,
They would, actually. I explore consciousness, and all concepts are clearly defined and require no blind faith in any incomprehensible information.

But how about your beliefs? Would they stand up to the test of truth?
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 01:54 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

They would, actually. I explore consciousness, and all concepts are clearly defined and require no blind faith in any incomprehensible information.

I'm sure you believe that.

Cyracuz wrote:
But how about your beliefs? Would they stand up to the test of truth?

That depends: what beliefs are you talking about?
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 02:26 pm
@joefromchicago,
Any belief that you would relate to the experience of existence.
Is what you believe the actual truth? If so, how can you know?
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 04:04 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Any belief that you would relate to the experience of existence.
Is what you believe the actual truth? If so, how can you know?

What do you mean by "actual truth?"
spendius

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 06:39 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
That depends: what beliefs are you talking about?

That the Fed is off the gold standard. I bet that is something you believe Joe.

Quote:
Honour, like impressions on coin, may give an ideal and local value to a bit of base metal; but Gold and Silver will pass all the world over without any other recommendation than their own weight.

The Dedication of Vol IX of Tristram Shandy.

Bits of printed paper were unknown in those days.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 09:30 am
@joefromchicago,
By "actual truth" I mean what is actually the case.

For instance, some people believe the united states is being run by legitimate democratic processes. Others believe it is a totalitarian regime as ruthless as any that has existed in known history. What's the truth?
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 10:04 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

By "actual truth" I mean what is actually the case.

I'm surprised you actually believe in this sort of thing. How can one determine what is "actually the case?" Is it by induction or by deduction?
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 10:35 am
@joefromchicago,
No, it's by choice, and that's my point. The world is as you believe it to be, and what you believe is what you chose to believe, consciously and subconsciously.
So any position is defended by profound beliefs, which makes the desicion of what you want to believe very important.
And that was my motive for asking the questions you found amusing. If you believe something and cannot supply the information you based your choice on, how can you know that how you percieve the world to be is the world you would be happiest in?
This is the essence of humanity. We possess the power to question our reality and to some extent alter it according to our wishes. But only if we understand this. If we don't we are slaves to those who do and chose to abuse this knowledge.

And back to the topic of the thread, those who understood this essence of humanity and saw that they could profit on others not understanding made the bible.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 11:24 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

No, it's by choice, and that's my point. The world is as you believe it to be, and what you believe is what you chose to believe, consciously and subconsciously.

How do you know that?
spendius

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 11:28 am
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
And back to the topic of the thread, those who understood this essence of humanity and saw that they could profit on others not understanding made the bible.

Those who make up the railway timetables do so for profit Cyr. Does that discredit the timetables. Those who make laws do it for profit. Does that discredit the law. Rock musicians do it for profit.

Democracy might be said to mean that those who make Bibles, railway timetables and laws for profit must ensure the voters benefit. If it upsets you so much having your strings jerked why don't you work harder and become a jerker. Think of something nice for us all and those of us who are not control freaks will let you jerk our strings as much as you want and will not bother how little we understand about it.

There is hardly a scientific fact more certain than that the Bible has been voted in by our culture and stood the hardest test of all--time. Don't tell me that we are the final culmination of 2,000 years of idiocy.

Methinks you might be trying to undermine the Christian attitude to female chastity. I hope it isn't abortion.