Where did The Bible originate from?

Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 10:06 am
We got a foot of snow here yesterday . . . don't come snivelin' to me for sympathy.

I do believe i'll go make a cup of coffee, though . . .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 10:10 am
Considering how far north we are in Seattle, I was at first surprised, upon moving here, that our weather is quite temperate. Although, one has but to travel 50 miles or so to be knee deep in the white stuff.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 10:17 am
Look to the west, Neo, old boy . . . the ocean. Ocean currents are the primary source of coastal climates, not the relative latitudinal position. Ireland, for example, which is as far north as Labrador, has a very mild climate--thanks to the Gulf Stream.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 10:19 am
Our name for it is the 'pineapple express.'
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 02:35 am
I quote from "The God Delusion":

Quote:
To be fair, much of the Bible is not systematically evil but just plain weird, as you would expect from a chaotically cobbled-together anthology of disjointed documents, composed, revised, translated, distorted and "improved" by hundreds of anonymous athours, editors and copyists, unknown to us and mostly unknown to eachother, spanning nine centuries.

There is a whole chapter on the Bible in Richard Dawkins' book which I found very well written, supported and convincing. Just read it, ok? In fact, read the whole book.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 07:04 am
And if your interested in finding out the good, the bad and the ugly about the Bible, The Book of Mormon and the Koran visit this site;

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/index.htm
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 10:29 am
"Where did the bible originate from"...

Isn't that a case of mixing two phrases.

"Where does the bible come from" and "where did the bible originate"

Or is this another case of me missing something because english isn't my main speak? I don't mean to make fun of anyone. Just curious.

And pardon the digression.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 05:08 pm
Those two (three) phrases are just different ways of saying the same thing.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:07 pm
Re: Where did the Bible come from?
LDM wrote:
xingu wrote:
LDM wrote:
4john wrote:
How did writer know the Earth was in fact Round, since it took scientists another 2 1/2 thousand years to discover the truth of this statement? Regards 4john

I'd just like to point out that as far back as Pythagoras learned men believed the earth to be spherical (in which they were only slightly off.) In fact the famous experiment by Eratosthenes in 240 BCE where he used shadows and geometry to determine the circumference of the Earth with only about 2% error, occurred approx. 300 years before the bible was completed. So to claim that this is some kind of secret knowledge imparted on the writers by God is a bit disingenuous.

So if we still have religious people believing nonsense today why should we think all the people of the Middle East and Europe suddenly believed the earth was round because of what a few learned men believed?

And one last thing to consider. How would the authors of the Bible know what these few learned men believed? Television? Radio? Or were books being published throughout the Middle East in the 6th Century BCE for all to read describing the wonderful insights of Pythagoras? Pythagoras believed the earth was a sphere for aesthetic reasons. No hard evidence was made to support his belief.

Just because the only records we have of people stating things like "the earth is round" and the like are from Ancient Greece doesn't mean that that was the only place it occurred, the Greeks were simply *really* big on keeping records. To assume that that kind of advancement only occurred in Greece is rather Euro-centric for my tastes.

Also, just because Pythagoras believed the earth was round for the wrong reasons doesn't mean he was wrong. Similarly, just because some writers in the bible may have guessed that the earth was round doesn't mean they have some sort of esoteric knowledge handed to them by God.

No, Greece is not the ONLY place where someone is on record as stating the earth is round.

Both of you seem to miss 4john's point.

The book of Isaiah (about 700 BC) states this. It is isn't Isaiah stating the opinion of learned men of his day (not of Pythagorus either since the book PREdates him). It is Isaiah attributing what he said to the inspiration of God. He didn't claim to be reporting the opinions (or discoveries ) of men.

Moreover, the statement from Job that the earth was suspended 'upon nothing' certainly wouldn't have agreed with the learned men of his day either. Job is widely regarded as one of (if not THE) oldest books in the OT.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 10:11 am
Of course, Isaiah doesn't say that the earth is a sphere--in the King James version, Isaiah 40:22 reads:

It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in

--circles are round, but they are not spherical.

But that source is not either conclusive or definitive. The oldest copies of the text of the Bobble are not older than the Greek sources for a spherical earth. We cannot know for certain what any "learned men" thought of this in 700 BCE.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 11:08 am
It has always seemed to me that any one observing the ocean would soon conclude the earth is spherical. Or that any one observing the stages of the moon would conclude likewise for the moon.

How the priests of the world have befuddled the masses over same is another story.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 11:29 am
The ancient Jews were not near an ocean, and only ever briefly near a major sea. Quite apart from that, most vessels of the size common in trade in the eastern Med two or three thousand years ago would have dwindled into a mere speck long before they dropped beneath the visual horizon.

The Noah story is very compelling evidence that the fairy tale writers who cobbled together the bible didn't know jackshit about seas and oceans.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 11:56 am
The noah story is an old fable told again. Don't remember the specifics, but I think a version of it has existed in every civilization from the ancient egyptians...
0 Replies

robzon69

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 12:37 am
Man made God and Bible, God did not make man
The headline says it all. Man has created over 4000 Gods, none so inhumane as the allmighty Yahweh of the Holy Bible. This all knowing, all seeing, omnipotent, omniscient being premeditates mass murder because he doesn't like how what he created turned out--but being all knowing, he knew this would happen. Killing babies for the sins of parents (Pharoah's son, for just one example), saying we have free will then laying out a huge rule book that is a book of contradictions, whose only purpose is to foist undeserved guilt on the populace to turn them into mindless blind sheep to be controlled by those in unearned positions of high power. I know I'm not the only one who gets it, but my questiion is, when do we stop the madness??!
0 Replies

ShirleyD

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 08:51 am
Where did the Bible come from?

I wondered that as well, all of the books of the bible where written by people who believed and followed in Gods way and some of Jesus' deciples (I think).

However, back in the time of Constantine, it is said that Christianity was growing faster than any other relegion, so in order to keep peace with the people Constantine gathered all the judicial priests and so forth to put books written by the above mentioned so that the Christians would have a book of law to live by, however many books written by the deciples, including Mary Magdeline was kept out, It is also said that some of these books were written in a way to make Mary Magdeline and Jesus look bad, but in instamce Mary Magdeline was a decendant of King David himself and as well as Jesus so they found them to be a threat that is why Jesus was Crucified. Please so not quote me, I have learned most of this by watching history chanels and National Geographic, so please do more research as there is much more out there to go along with the Bible.

Please remember man wrote the Bible not God altough the Bible is supposed to be what God wants us to learn, but I say that if you want to have a good life and want to follow in Gods way, follow his Ten Commandments as these speaks the truth, no matter what way you put them.

Here is a link to get you started, Hope this helps.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ch/131christians/rulers/constantine.html
0 Replies

gold einstein

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 10:52 am
Ro 1:20 - Since his invisible [qualities], even his eternal power and Godhead are clearly seen since the creation of the world, because you understand the things done, so that they are without excuse;
0 Replies

Peggy33

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 11:07 am
I profoundly believe in God. My question is : where and who found the scriptures and why was so much eliminated from the bible as we know it? I do not know enough of the bible history to pinpoint the origination. Peggy
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 11:38 am
@Peggy33,
So you profoundly believe in god, but do not know where this information you base your faith on comes from?
You know nothing of the intent of those who compiled the bible?
How do you then know that your beliefs create a profound spirituality, not just a profound fantasy?

And what is the only reason ever to modify or edit a body of information? Control of the flow of it. That is always the reason, wether it is for the sake of poetic expression or for the sake of political power.
Pamela Rosa

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 11:42 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir1-A209boQ
spendius

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 12:15 pm
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
whether it is for the sake of poetic expression or for the sake of political power

Yes indeed Cyr but we need poetic expression and political power.

Hence the real question, unless you say we don't, is the quality of both and the results they produce.

And it is a very common error to confuse those results with the results of human nature and to blame the former for the latter. The reason it is common is that it is easy and useful for certain purposes.
0 Replies