Where did The Bible originate from?

Gilbey

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 03:42 pm
Where did the Bible come from?

The reason I ask this is because I don't Know, and I tend to agree with the arguments against Gods existence, but ultimately, I am undecided about whether God exists or not, so finding the answer to this question could hold some interesting results for me.

fresco

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 03:59 pm
http://www.bibleorigins.net/
JPB

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 04:16 pm
The Christian Bible is generally thought to represent the written text of the oral stories of the ancient Hebrews (Old Testament) and the writings of selected individuals of the first few centuries of the common era that appropriately satisfied specific criteria for inclusion (New Testament). The New Testament was heavily influenced by Paul and, in fact, only the small letter of James pre-dates Paul. Martin Luther apparently once indicated that he wished the letter of James had been excluded because it doesn't conform with the rest.

I'm much more interested in the books that were excluded (and why) than the ones that were included.

I don't think the "Truth" of the Bible is adequate to wholly determine whether or not God exists. I think it's good to question, but don't restrict yourself to an all-or-nothing answer.
0 Replies

4john

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 06:07 pm
Re: Where did the Bible come from?
The Bible itself at 2 Timothy Ch.3 verse 16 claims to be inspired of God.
In order to believe that to be true, you no doubt have to carefully study its contents, and make up your own mind.

Archaeologists have uncovered a great deal of evidence that the bible has been around for a few thousand years, or more. the last of the 66 books making up the bible having been completed in the latter part of the year 90 AD.

There are things that impress me into believing that it is an unique book.
for example: How did the writer of bible book of Job recorded at Ch. 26 verse
7, know back then that the Earth was suspended in the air, with nothing holding it up?
and also in the book of Isaiah Ch. 40 verse 22, How did writer know the Earth was in fact Round, since it took scientists another 2 1/2 thousand years to discover the truth of this statement? Regards 4john
JPB

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 06:15 pm
4john wrote:
In order to believe that to be true, you no doubt have to carefully study its contents, and make up your own mind.

Attributed to Paul, but probably an attribution dating around 90 - 110 CE

Paul (or his ghost writers) claiming inspiration doesn't make it so.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 11:20 pm
JPB wrote:
4john wrote:

A claim, nevertheless, upon which the integrity of the entire bible rests.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 11:50 pm
neologist wrote:
JPB wrote:
4john wrote:

A claim, nevertheless, upon which the integrity of the entire bible rests.

And, therein lies my rub with Paul and his ghost writers.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 11:52 pm
In mother Russia, bible writes god.

T
K
O
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 12:45 am
I don't think Gilbey is interested in "internal" origins. The question imples possible historical origins prior to monotheism such as the Epic of Gilgamesh. This is discussed extensively on the link I cited above.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 01:04 am
Good link!
0 Replies

Gilbey

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 01:21 pm
I'm interested in what everyone has to say, I just want to hear as many opinions and answers as possible.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 04:54 pm
Quote:
The Bible itself at 2 Timothy Ch.3 verse 16 claims to be inspired of God. In order to believe that to be true, you no doubt have to carefully study its contents, and make up your own mind.

I would have thought the latter sentence would more accurately read along the lines of "In order to believe that to be true, you must first believe in God, then know his nature, then carefully study it's contents and make up your own mind."

However, that concept by itself would be a catch 22.
muslim1

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 05:42 am
Re: Where did The Bible originate from?
Gilbey wrote:
Where did the Bible come from?

To answer your important question, I guess the first origin of the Bible is God Almighty.

Today's Bible, may still contain words of God, but it also contains words of Prophets, historians, obscenity as well as scientific errors.

Since God does not make errors, I think instead of following the old or the new testament, one should follow the last and final testament, free from errors, and that is the Glorious Qur'an.

Regards.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 06:30 am
Muslim1,

According to that "logic" you should be following the B'hai texts !

You merely demonstrate yet again the adage "where ignorance is bliss tis folly to be wise".

Regards fresco. :wink:
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 04:25 am
Started out as myth and folk-history. This ancient Sumarian text contained bizarre burial rites, funerary incantations and demon resurrection passages. It was never meant for the world of the living. The book awoke something dark in the woods.

Here's where its path diverges from that of other epics/theosophical texts; it contains a formula that turns people from egoists into termites-creates a resilient but aberrant and I'd say pointless mode of civilization.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 05:56 am
What do you suggest to give it a point?
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 05:39 pm
To give it a point-add a final chapter-God turns against Humanity and must be euthanized. Humanity turns on itself in an orgy of pent-up egoism, empowerment, and disillusionment, the greratest survive through superior corporeal strength, imagination, and communion with reality. We build Heaven for ourselves, each and every gets what they bring to themselves, nobody ever whines about anything again.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 03:42 pm
JPB wrote:
4john wrote:

.... probably an attribution dating around 90 - 110 CE

Based on what?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 12:26 pm
real life wrote:
JPB wrote:
4john wrote:

.... probably an attribution dating around 90 - 110 CE

Based on what?

I have a least a dozen sources that identify the letters to the Ephesians (80 -95), 1 and 2 Timothy (90-110), 2 Thessalonians (85-100), and Titus (90-110) as probable attributions including the introduction to the Letters of Paul in the NRSV bible.

Quote:
Like the author, the addresses are pseudonymous. The Letters [1 and 2 Timothy] could thus have been written anywhere in the Pauline mission field, though the frequent references associated with Ephesus make that city a strong possibility. The author seems to know the book of Acts (see 2 Tim 3:11), which was probably written around 80-90 CE... The Letters thus were probably written early in the second century. It is likely that the three Pastoral Letters were conceived as a corpus and intended to be read together. The canonical order was probably based simply on their lengths.

General discussion on the authorship of all of the letters may be found here.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 12:35 pm
vikorr wrote:
Quote:
The Bible itself at 2 Timothy Ch.3 verse 16 claims to be inspired of God. In order to believe that to be true, you no doubt have to carefully study its contents, and make up your own mind.

I would have thought the latter sentence would more accurately read along the lines of "In order to believe that to be true, you must first believe in God, then know his nature, then carefully study it's contents and make up your own mind."

However, that concept by itself would be a catch 22.

To be precise, it is begging the question (petitio principii), not a catch-22.
0 Replies