The Bible makes complete sense

vikorr

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 07:07 am
That's a rather generic statement, which makes it erroneous.

Much of the bible makes sense, and there's a number of contradictions, and other parts that don't make sense, and other parts that do or don't make sense depending on if you take them literally or not.
0 Replies

bellsybop

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 09:47 pm
vikorr wrote:
That's a rather generic statement, which makes it erroneous.

Much of the bible makes sense, and there's a number of contradictions, and other parts that don't make sense, and other parts that do or don't make sense depending on if you take them literally or not.

Well then Vik~~ welcome to the posts of erroneous statements! I can't quite beat the one you just posted :wink:
Somehow I think we just said the same thing, just differently Razz
I just think it's a bunch of hullaballub.
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 11:53 pm
As a young child I found Alice in wonderland more "believable" and a dam site more interesting.
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 11:54 pm
As a young child I found Alice in wonderland more "believable" and a dam site more interesting.
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 11:54 pm
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 10:29 pm
Hoover Dam perhaps? Shocked
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 11:34 pm
Yipes! I'm falling into the young people's way of spelling as it's pronounced, shows u r never 2 old 2 learn.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 09:59 am
neologist wrote:
JPB wrote:
stashlazarus wrote:
This was written by someone who lived in the Roman Empire and was read by many thousands of Christians who also lived in the Roman Empire.

What I find ludicrous is the idea that "thousands of Christians" were reading Luke's gospel. "Thousands" of Christians didn't read the bible at all until the mid-1400s and numerous copies of the bible were printed. As soon as folks actually started reading the gospels, they started questioning their accuracy and authority, which ultimately led to the Reformation.

If the thesis is based on the premise that 'no one complained' then the thesis is bogus.
If the gospels had not been widely read, they would not have been repeatedly copied and could not have survived.

Maybe many did complain. The Christians, when they came into power, destroyed both literature and places of worship of their competitors. Those beliefs they couldn't destroy they incorporated into their own belief system.

Ever hear of Celcus? Wonder how many other Celcus' were out there that we will never know about?
0 Replies

bellsybop

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 11:21 pm
I have never heard of Celcus. Please tell more.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 06:57 am
For information on Celcus, or more commonely Celsus, see;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celsus_the_Platonist

Quote:
Jesus had come from a village in Judea, and was the son of a poor Jewess who gained her living by the work of her own hands. His mother had been turned out of doors by her husband, who was a carpenter by trade, on being convicted of adultery [with a soldier named Panthéra (i.32)]. Being thus driven away by her husband, and wandering about in disgrace, she gave birth to Jesus, a bastard. Jesus, on account of his poverty, was hired out to go to Egypt. While there he acquired certain (magical) powers which Egyptians pride themselves on possessing. He returned home highly elated at possessing these powers, and on the strength of them gave himself out to be a god.

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~humm/Topics/JewishJesus/celsus.html
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 08:06 am
Re: The Bible makes complete sense
stashlazarus wrote:
In fact, this revelation of the truth will cause Armageddon.

I Thessalonians 5:4,9-10 "For you yourselves know full well that the day of the Lord will come just like a thief in the night. For God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us, that whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him."

Fail.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 08:08 am
Re: The Bible makes complete sense
stashlazarus wrote:
If this theory is correct, and it leads to Armageddon, I must say that I apologize and it will never happen again.

<snork>

Behold! He hath a sense of humor.
0 Replies

bellsybop

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 09:20 pm
xingu wrote:
For information on Celcus, or more commonely Celsus, see;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celsus_the_Platonist

Quote:
Jesus had come from a village in Judea, and was the son of a poor Jewess who gained her living by the work of her own hands. His mother had been turned out of doors by her husband, who was a carpenter by trade, on being convicted of adultery [with a soldier named Panthéra (i.32)]. Being thus driven away by her husband, and wandering about in disgrace, she gave birth to Jesus, a bastard. Jesus, on account of his poverty, was hired out to go to Egypt. While there he acquired certain (magical) powers which Egyptians pride themselves on possessing. He returned home highly elated at possessing these powers, and on the strength of them gave himself out to be a god.

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~humm/Topics/JewishJesus/celsus.html

Thank you.. gonna read more on this.
0 Replies