The Bible makes complete sense

stashlazarus

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 09:47 am
Setanta wrote:
In essence, what "real life" and Stash are saying is that whenever there is a contradiction in scripture, one is to discard that version which contradicts the dogmatic version to which they wish to adhere.

I smell **** . . . in fact, i suspect that what i am smelling is bullshit.

Disregarding a contradicting passage in the Bible is what Traditional religions do.

What I'm saying is you don't have to discard anything.

There are two main ideas that reconcile most contradictions in the Bible.

1. We are "redeemed" to eternal life by Christ discarding His flesh on the Day of Judgment.
2. There is a heaven and hell in this world. In the afterlife there is only a Heaven and no hell, but all evil is destroyed.

With these two ideas, there is no contradiction in the Bible concerning "redemption", judgment, or who goes to heaven.

Find me a contradiction.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 09:52 am
Quote:
Disregarding a contradicting passage in the Bible is what Traditional religions do.

fascinating.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 09:53 am
Perhaps you could describe what it is about pointing out that you have posted this drivel in more than one place which constitutes an argumentum ad hominem? An ad hominem argument dismisses someone's thesis on the basis of invidious personal observations. I know nothing about you, and have not commented on you personally. Nothing which i have written constitutes an ad hominem argument. In fact, i specifically addressed your bullshit about Washington, and addressed in general the ludicrous proposition that scripture has ever been successfully predictive. I didn't miss the point at all that you failed to make with your erroneous observations about Washington--your analogy failed, and i pointed out why it failed.

You, however, rather that defend your proposition, whine that you have been personally attacked--when no one here has made an unflattering observation on your personal character. This kind of whine is common among people who wade into a forum such as this and find themselves unable to defend their thesis, or deal with the criticism of the thesis.

Once again, no one has attacked you pesonally. No one has stated that your thesis is flawed because you are stupid, or that your character is flawed. The objections which have been advanced against the nonsense which you have posted have been based on the content of the post--which is bullshit.

Finally, your point of view is neither new nor unique.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 09:55 am
stashlazarus wrote:

1. We are "redeemed" to eternal life by Christ discarding His flesh on the Day of Judgment.
2. There is a heaven and hell in this world. In the afterlife there is only a Heaven and no hell, but all evil is destroyed.

With these two ideas, there is no contradiction in the Bible concerning "redemption", judgment, or who goes to heaven.

Find me a contradiction.

The first one is pure Paul and the second one is Judaic which is known to have blended two early traditions (Yahwist and Elohist). How is this 'new'?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 10:04 am
stashlazarus wrote:

Find me a contradiction.

Your point one in no way offers a logical basis upon which to allege that any contradictions have been reconciled. This is important, because internal contradictions make suspect a claim that scripture is divinely inspired and inerrant. If there are contradictions, then one or the other of a set of contradictory passages is incorrect, and the scripture cannot be said to be inerrant--and the proposition that scripture is divinely inspired is beggared by the very existence of contradiction.

Additionally, your point one appears to be a confused and ill-considered contention. You allege that your boy Jesus will give up the flesh on the day of judgment. Therefore, it follows that your boy Jesus is presently incarnate--that is, that he exists in the flesh. Got any reasonable basis for a contention that the boy currently exists in the flesh more than 2000 years after he is alleged to have been born?

You point two is based entirely upon statements from authority on your part about whether or not a "heaven" and a "hell" exists. Leaving aside, however, the issue that no one here knows you to be an authority on such matters--your point two in now serves to reconcile any contradictions.

In short, you claim that two things reconcile the contradictions of the text of scriptures, but you fail utterly to provide any basis upon which to believe that any contradictions have been reconciled. What you offer in extenuation of the contradictions are nonsequiturs which in no way address the issue of scriptural contradiction.

Finally, you are attempting to define contradiction more narrowly than it has been used. You are limiting the subject of contradiction to ". . . 'redemption', judgment, or who goes to heaven." That was not the point that anyone was making. Ignoring that you offer no evidence that your claim about a narrower definition of contradiction, i would remind you that any contradiction of any description throws into doubt the propositions that the scripture is divinely inspired and inerrant.
0 Replies

stashlazarus

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 10:06 am
Setanta wrote:
Perhaps you could describe what it is about pointing out that you have posted this drivel in more than one place which constitutes an argumentum ad hominem? An ad hominem argument dismisses someone's thesis on the basis of invidious personal observations. I know nothing about you, and have not commented on you personally. Nothing which i have written constitutes an ad hominem argument. In fact, i specifically addressed your bullshit about Washington, and addressed in general the ludicrous proposition that scripture has ever been successfully predictive. I didn't miss the point at all that you failed to make with your erroneous observations about Washington--your analogy failed, and i pointed out why it failed.

You, however, rather that defend your proposition, whine that you have been personally attacked--when no one here has made an unflattering observation on your personal character. This kind of whine is common among people who wade into a forum such as this and find themselves unable to defend their thesis, or deal with the criticism of the thesis.

Once again, no one has attacked you pesonally. No one has stated that your thesis is flawed because you are stupid, or that your character is flawed. The objections which have been advanced against the nonsense which you have posted have been based on the content of the post--which is bullshit.

Finally, your point of view is neither new nor unique.

Actually, I'm responding to you because you have been respectful (at least to me, although not to my views). You have disagreed with me, but that's okay. I respect that. It's on Bill Maher's forum and other places that I don't respond because of ad hominem attacks, and by not responding on those forums my post would be labeled spam, even though I'm not responding because I have nothing to respond to but ad hominem attacks
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 10:17 am
I refer to your post as spam because of the evidence that you have posted this long screed in more than one place.

As for whether or not i have shown "respect" for your ideas, no one is guaranteed in life that their beliefs and what they say will be treated with respect. This is true whether you post on-line, or are simply speaking to someone else in a face-to-face conversation. To allege that you have been subjected to ad hominem arguments at another forum than this forum is irrelevant to the response you have received here. It is possible for people to disagree with your ideas, even to the point of derision without being said to have attacked you personally.
0 Replies

stashlazarus

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 10:41 am
JPB wrote:
stashlazarus wrote:

Find me a contradiction.

The first one is pure Paul and the second one is Judaic which is known to have blended two early traditions (Yahwist and Elohist). How is this 'new'?

True, the idea that heaven and hell can be found in the earth is a idea that predates Jesus, but it does explain many (not all) of the contradictions concerning heaven.

Paul often talked about the "spiritual" and the "physical" or the spirit and the flesh, but there has not been a Christian theology that believes we have eternal life in Heaven by these two being separated.
0 Replies

stashlazarus

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 10:48 am
Setanta wrote:
stashlazarus wrote:

Find me a contradiction.

Your point one in no way offers a logical basis upon which to allege that any contradictions have been reconciled. This is important, because internal contradictions make suspect a claim that scripture is divinely inspired and inerrant. If there are contradictions, then one or the other of a set of contradictory passages is incorrect, and the scripture cannot be said to be inerrant--and the proposition that scripture is divinely inspired is beggared by the very existence of contradiction.

Additionally, your point one appears to be a confused and ill-considered contention. You allege that your boy Jesus will give up the flesh on the day of judgment. Therefore, it follows that your boy Jesus is presently incarnate--that is, that he exists in the flesh. Got any reasonable basis for a contention that the boy currently exists in the flesh more than 2000 years after he is alleged to have been born?

You point two is based entirely upon statements from authority on your part about whether or not a "heaven" and a "hell" exists. Leaving aside, however, the issue that no one here knows you to be an authority on such matters--your point two in now serves to reconcile any contradictions.

In short, you claim that two things reconcile the contradictions of the text of scriptures, but you fail utterly to provide any basis upon which to believe that any contradictions have been reconciled. What you offer in extenuation of the contradictions are nonsequiturs which in no way address the issue of scriptural contradiction.

Finally, you are attempting to define contradiction more narrowly than it has been used. You are limiting the subject of contradiction to ". . . 'redemption', judgment, or who goes to heaven." That was not the point that anyone was making. Ignoring that you offer no evidence that your claim about a narrower definition of contradiction, i would remind you that any contradiction of any description throws into doubt the propositions that the scripture is divinely inspired and inerrant.

The Bible does make the claim that Jesus was resurrected in the flesh. This certainly doesn't prove anything, but that is the claim that is made…that Jesus was raised in the flesh, and carried His flesh back to "Heaven".

The two ideas I presented do make it possible to reconcile verses in the Bible that contradict each other concerning Heaven and how we get there, so that no verse needs to be discarded or redefined. It doesn't deal with alleged contradictions concerning other subjects, nor does it attempt to explain any verses that deals with prophecy. I believe an idea that can explain (let's say) 40% of the Bible should not be rejected based on the fact that it does not explain 100% of the Bible (unless it contradicts with something in that other 60%). I don't claim to have authority, but I am merely a student of the Bible. I do try to look "outside the box"
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 10:51 am
Quote:
I don't claim to have authority
Truely?
0 Replies

stashlazarus

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 11:02 am
dyslexia wrote:
Quote:
Truely?

God has never spoken to me. I don't know if God exists.

But I do see how the Bible can be made to fit together, and any interpretation of the Bible that makes the Bible fit would have to be more creditable.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 11:08 am
stashlazarus wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Quote:
Truely?

But I do see how the Bible can be made to fit together, and any interpretation of the Bible that makes the Bible fit would have to be more creditable.
Ok, I can go with that however, your opening post seems to suggest otherwise.
0 Replies

stashlazarus

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 11:18 am
Setanta wrote:
I refer to your post as spam because of the evidence that you have posted this long screed in more than one place.

As for whether or not i have shown "respect" for your ideas, no one is guaranteed in life that their beliefs and what they say will be treated with respect. This is true whether you post on-line, or are simply speaking to someone else in a face-to-face conversation. To allege that you have been subjected to ad hominem arguments at another forum than this forum is irrelevant to the response you have received here. It is possible for people to disagree with your ideas, even to the point of derision without being said to have attacked you personally.

I may have posted this in several forums, but this was only done looking for those who would have a reasonable discussion…agree or disagree.

Actually, if you're a reasonable person, and you're looking for a message board, one idea is to go to different boards and post a radical new idea. See how the members respond to it. (Would this be considered spam?)

Democratic Underground is really about the only other place where members could have a respectful conversation with someone they disagree with, and I still go back there often.

There have been no ad hominem attacks against me on this board, and I didn't say there has been any such attacks on this board, but I was referring to other boards.
0 Replies

stashlazarus

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 11:31 am
dyslexia wrote:
stashlazarus wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Quote:
Truely?

Sorry about that. We have a tendency to state our beliefs as if we have authority when none of us has any real authority, or knows if God exists or not.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 11:43 am
stashlazarus wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
stashlazarus wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Quote:
Truely?

Sorry about that. We have a tendency to state our beliefs as if we have authority when none of us has any real authority, or knows if God exists or not.
Just so as not to confuse my limited understanding, are you saying that you are the author of the initial post on this thread?
0 Replies

stashlazarus

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 11:48 am
dyslexia wrote:
stashlazarus wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
stashlazarus wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Quote:
Truely?

Just so as not to confuse my limited understanding, are you saying that you are the author of the initial post on this thread?

Yes
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 11:59 am
Ok; I was wondering who the "WE" was in
Quote:
We have a tendency to state our beliefs as if we have authority
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 12:11 pm
honestly, guessing the date of armageddon has got to be one of the world's oldest pastimes.

so far, every single prediction has been wrong and readjusted to compensate. it could go on forever, or at least until the sun explodes. by then, hopefully we'll have moved, so we can go to another planet and be hysterical.

obsession with armageddon is a great way to measure the cult status of your "religion." it's great for controlling people, hell might not be all as bad as they say, it might not even exist according to some christians, but the end of the world, holy ****! now that's something to piss your pants about.

fear controls people, it turns them into backstabbing morons. go and baa all you like, we'll just feel sorry for you, and a bit annoyed. the end of the world is such old news. at least try to be more original than picking a new date!

tell us that something bizarre will happen that hasn't been pounded out for the billionth time about revelations, like maybe our cars will become sentient like in maximum overdrive, or pizza will take over the world and enslave us all. with all the e.coli and gen-mod crap going around, that's a doomsday scenario that's relatively easy to swallow.
0 Replies

stashlazarus

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 01:19 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Ok; I was wondering who the "WE" was in
Quote:
We have a tendency to state our beliefs as if we have authority

We, as in most people will state their beliefs with certainty that they are correct (whatever they believe).
0 Replies

stashlazarus

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 01:21 pm
tinygiraffe wrote:
honestly, guessing the date of armageddon has got to be one of the world's oldest pastimes.

so far, every single prediction has been wrong and readjusted to compensate. it could go on forever, or at least until the sun explodes. by then, hopefully we'll have moved, so we can go to another planet and be hysterical.

obsession with armageddon is a great way to measure the cult status of your "religion." it's great for controlling people, hell might not be all as bad as they say, it might not even exist according to some christians, but the end of the world, holy ****! now that's something to piss your pants about.

fear controls people, it turns them into backstabbing morons. go and baa all you like, we'll just feel sorry for you, and a bit annoyed. the end of the world is such old news. at least try to be more original than picking a new date!

tell us that something bizarre will happen that hasn't been pounded out for the billionth time about revelations, like maybe our cars will become sentient like in maximum overdrive, or pizza will take over the world and enslave us all. with all the e.coli and gen-mod crap going around, that's a doomsday scenario that's relatively easy to swallow.

I haven't set a date. What I've introduced is an idea that, if correct, will trigger the end. The idea assumes that God exists and that Satan exists. The idea is that Satan has been careful not to openly violate the Law, but hidden in the Bible there are clues that indicate how Satan messed up and violated the Law. If the idea is correct, it will trigger the end once it is sufficiently distributed so that Satan takes it seriously enough to confront Michael.

Revelation talks of a battle between Michael and Satan. Satan is cast out of Heaven into the Earth and this causes great distress in the Earth. This battle between Michael and Satan is not a physical battle, it is more of a debate or a battle of words…a battle over the spirit, intent and letter of the Law. What would trigger such a debate? Why, after all this time, did Michael and Satan suddenly have something to fight about?
0 Replies