The Bible makes complete sense

stashlazarus

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 01:23 pm
Re: The Bible makes complete sense
Chai wrote:
stashlazarus wrote:
Now that the world is about to end the truth can be told. In fact, this revelation of the truth will cause Armageddon.

Wait, so this post is going to cause Armageddon to start?

I think we need a stricter screening process for our members, like "Are you planning on triggering Armageddon"?

If this theory is correct, and it leads to Armageddon, I must say that I apologize and it will never happen again.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 01:45 pm
stashlazarus wrote:
This battle between Michael and Satan is not a physical battle, it is more of a debate or a battle of words…a battle over the spirit, intent and letter of the Law. What would trigger such a debate? Why, after all this time, did Michael and Satan suddenly have something to fight about?

We have those debates here on an on-going basis. Pick any random thread in this or the philosophy forum. You even get to run a side bet on who represents Michael and who represents Satan.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 03:00 pm
Some scholars contend that Revelation is not a "book of prophecy" but rather a literary depiction of the chaos that was going on at the time it was composed.
0 Replies

stashlazarus

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 04:04 pm
wandeljw wrote:
Some scholars contend that Revelation is not a "book of prophecy" but rather a literary depiction of the chaos that was going on at the time it was composed.

This is certainly possible, but it's really just another interpretation of Revelation. Those who believe this will say that the "beast" mentioned in Revelation was Nero. The number 666 seems to point to Nero, but it also seems to point to a lot of people.

What about Ronald Wilson Reagan? Reagan had 666 in his name in a more impressive way since it doesn't require the use of numerology. There are many methods of numerology, which is why 666 points to so many people. Not only that, Revelation says one of the heads of the beast survives a fatal head wound. Nero was wounded in the neck, not the head; and Nero didn't survive that wound. One of the heads of the Reagan administration (James Brady) survived a bullet through the brain.

Another theory is that John (of Revelations) ate some mushrooms and saw all kinds of weird sh*t.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 04:11 pm
stashlazarus wrote:
The two ideas I presented do make it possible to reconcile verses in the Bible that contradict each other concerning Heaven and how we get there, so that no verse needs to be discarded or redefined. It doesn't deal with alleged contradictions concerning other subjects, nor does it attempt to explain any verses that deals with prophecy. I believe an idea that can explain (let's say) 40% of the Bible should not be rejected based on the fact that it does not explain 100% of the Bible (unless it contradicts with something in that other 60%). I don't claim to have authority, but I am merely a student of the Bible. I do try to look "outside the box"

You have missed the point entirely. Many of the more strict adherents of Christianity claim that ever word of the bible is divinely inspired and inerrant. That claim is beggared by any contradiction which can be shown. Furthermore, it doesn't matter if the contradiction which was first brought up (the creation account) is one which you care to deal with or not. The fact that there would be any contradiction in scripture is sufficient to cast doubt on the accuracy of the entire body of scripture. If any part of scripture is false, then we are left unable to assert that any part of scripture is true. This extends to the entire Jesus fairy tale as well, which begins with an allegation that a census was held to count people who were not Roman citizens--something the Romans never did, it defies the very definition of census in Roman usage--and that a census was held for which there is no record, and we have a record of Caesar Augustus telling of each census and each lustrum which he conducted after your boy Jesus is alleged to have been born.

The fact that there are internal contradictions in scripture, and that scripture makes claims which cannot be supported historically, is sufficient to cast into doubt any authority which you or anyone else might wish to claim for scripture.
0 Replies

stashlazarus

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 04:30 pm
Setanta wrote:
stashlazarus wrote:
The two ideas I presented do make it possible to reconcile verses in the Bible that contradict each other concerning Heaven and how we get there, so that no verse needs to be discarded or redefined. It doesn't deal with alleged contradictions concerning other subjects, nor does it attempt to explain any verses that deals with prophecy. I believe an idea that can explain (let's say) 40% of the Bible should not be rejected based on the fact that it does not explain 100% of the Bible (unless it contradicts with something in that other 60%). I don't claim to have authority, but I am merely a student of the Bible. I do try to look "outside the box"

You have missed the point entirely. Many of the more strict adherents of Christianity claim that ever word of the bible is divinely inspired and inerrant. That claim is beggared by any contradiction which can be shown. Furthermore, it doesn't matter if the contradiction which was first brought up (the creation account) is one which you care to deal with or not. The fact that there would be any contradiction in scripture is sufficient to cast doubt on the accuracy of the entire body of scripture. If any part of scripture is false, then we are left unable to assert that any part of scripture is true. This extends to the entire Jesus fairy tale as well, which begins with an allegation that a census was held to count people who were not Roman citizens--something the Romans never did, it defies the very definition of census in Roman usage--and that a census was held for which there is no record, and we have a record of Caesar Augustus telling of each census and each lustrum which he conducted after your boy Jesus is alleged to have been born.

The fact that there are internal contradictions in scripture, and that scripture makes claims which cannot be supported historically, is sufficient to cast into doubt any authority which you or anyone else might wish to claim for scripture.

Actually, it is claimed that the Romans were collecting a tax. This was written and distributed at a time when the Roman Empire still existed. People who lived in the Roman Empire didn't have a problem with this story, but some people today will say that this is not the way the Romans did things.

I am sure you see thousands of contradictions in the Bible, and I do not feel obligated to address each and every one of them. I realize I would be wasting my time and yours. Okay, so you don't believe in the Bible. That's fine with me.
0 Replies

stashlazarus

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 04:41 pm
wandeljw wrote:

One question,

According to this theory, the author of Revelation concealed references to Nero because to bad mouth the emperor could get you killed. Yet the author of Revelation made no effort to conceal the Christian nature of the book. So…if you are found in possession of this book, you are going to be killed anyway. So…why bother to conceal references to Nero?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 04:45 pm
Romans did not collect capitations (head taxes, which means a tax based upon a population). Within their own polity, they collected a hearth tax, but that depended upon the number of households, and not the actual numbers of people living within the polity. Iudeaea was a district within the province of Syria. The Legate of Syria was responsible for remitting a certain amount of money based on the excise--which means a tax on commerce and commercial goods. No one actually gave a rat's ass how many Jews there were, so long as the excise was collected and remitted.

If you are going to make horseshit claims like that, try to provide some evidence. You're going to have a problem, though, because Octavian, a.k.a. Caesar Augustus, conducted three censii, and none of them take place on the relevant dates, leaving aside the fact that no census counted anyone who was not a Roman citizen. This is really a case of put up or shut up--if you can't provide your evidence, then you shouldn't make such claims. From the Deeds of the Divine Augustus:

Quote:
When I was consul the fifth time (29 B.C.E.), I increased the number of patricians by order of the people and senate. I read the roll of the senate three times, and in my sixth consulate (28 B.C.E.) I made a census of the people with Marcus Agrippa as my colleague. I conducted a lustrum, after a forty-one year gap, in which lustrum were counted 4,063,000 heads of Roman citizens. Then again, with consular imperium I conducted a lustrum alone when Gaius Censorinus and Gaius Asinius were consuls (8 B.C.E.), in which lustrum were counted 4,233,000 heads of Roman citizens. And the third time, with consular imperium, I conducted a lustrum with my son Tiberius Caesar as colleague, when Sextus Pompeius and Sextus Appuleius were consuls (14 A.C.E.), in which lustrum were cunted 4,937,000 of the heads of Roman citizens.

Note that not only do none of the dates coincide with the dates alleged for the birth of the putative Jesus, but note that Augustus only concerns himself with the number of Roman citizens, and your boy Joseph was not a Roman citizen, nor was his teenaged, unwed mother Mary.

It's fine with me that you or anyone else does "believe in the bible." It is also fine with me to point out when they are peddling bullshit based of poor to no logic and a devout desire to "believe in the bible" despite evidence which contradicts their song and dance.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 04:46 pm
stashlazarus wrote:
Actually, it is claimed that the Romans were collecting a tax. This was written and distributed at a time when the Roman Empire still existed. People who lived in the Roman Empire didn't have a problem with this story, but some people today will say that this is not the way the Romans did things.

Which Romans at what time? Are you suggesting that the gentiles didn't contradict the birth story of Luke? The gentiles were hearing the word of Paul and you'll have to show me where Paul spoke of the birth story.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 04:51 pm
... and what do you mean by, 'distributed'?
0 Replies

stashlazarus

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 04:58 pm
Setanta wrote:
Romans did not collect capitations (head taxes, which means a tax based upon a population). Within their own polity, they collected a hearth tax, but that depended upon the number of households, and not the actual numbers of people living within the polity. Iudeaea was a district within the province of Syria. The Legate of Syria was responsible for remitting a certain amount of money based on the excise--which means a tax on commerce and commercial goods. No one actually gave a rat's ass how many Jews there were, so long as the excise was collected and remitted.

If you are going to make horseshit claims like that, try to provide some evidence. You're going to have a problem, though, because Octavian, a.k.a. Caesar Augustus, conducted three censii, and none of them take place on the relevant dates, leaving aside the fact that no census counted anyone who was not a Roman citizen. This is really a case of put up or shut up--if you can't provide your evidence, then you shouldn't make such claims. From the Deeds of the Divine Augustus:

Quote:
When I was consul the fifth time (29 B.C.E.), I increased the number of patricians by order of the people and senate. I read the roll of the senate three times, and in my sixth consulate (28 B.C.E.) I made a census of the people with Marcus Agrippa as my colleague. I conducted a lustrum, after a forty-one year gap, in which lustrum were counted 4,063,000 heads of Roman citizens. Then again, with consular imperium I conducted a lustrum alone when Gaius Censorinus and Gaius Asinius were consuls (8 B.C.E.), in which lustrum were counted 4,233,000 heads of Roman citizens. And the third time, with consular imperium, I conducted a lustrum with my son Tiberius Caesar as colleague, when Sextus Pompeius and Sextus Appuleius were consuls (14 A.C.E.), in which lustrum were **** 4,937,000 of the heads of Roman citizens.

Note that not only do none of the dates coincide with the dates alleged for the birth of the putative Jesus, but note that Augustus only concerns himself with the number of Roman citizens, and your boy Joseph was not a Roman citizen, nor was his teenaged, unwed mother Mary.

It's fine with me that you or anyone else does "believe in the bible." It is also fine with me to point out when they are peddling bullshit based of poor to no logic and a devout desire to "believe in the bible" despite evidence which contradicts their song and dance.

In the first place, we aren't sure when Jesus was born.

If statements in the gospels contradicted with procedures in the Roman Empire, you would think some of those people would have noticed.

It would be like would someone today writing a book that claims the IRS uses your driver's license number instead of your social security number. Over a period of centuries the book is very widely distributed.

Nobody notices the error.

Then…two thousand years later, somebody finally spots it.
0 Replies

stashlazarus

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 05:02 pm
JPB wrote:

The Roman Empire was converted to Christianty. By that point, if not before then, all the gospels would be available throughout much of the empire.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 05:19 pm
I suggest that the beginning of wisdom is "I do not know".

I argue that the problem with religion in general and Christianity in particular is reliance on the logical fallacy called Argument By Authority.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 06:08 pm
stashlazarus wrote:
JPB wrote:

The Roman Empire was converted to Christianty. By that point, if not before then, all the gospels would be available throughout much of the empire.

You're kidding, right? Who do you think had copies of the gospels?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 06:27 pm
In fact, there are no copies of the "bible" as it is known to Christians which are any earlier than the late 3rd century, and even those only exist in fragments of copies--no original documents survive from the period in which the putative Jesus was alleged to exist. So as far as your drivel about what someone would or would not have noticed more than 1500 years ago, for several centuries after the cult started, the Romans took no notice, or very little notice of them.

Despite claims of the Christians, there is no evidence that Christianity became the state religion of the Roman Empire any earlier than the late 4th Century. Constantine was succeeded by Constans, Constantine II and Constansius II, and that later was succeeded by Julian. Julian was known as "Julian the Philosophers" in his own lifetime, but has since been called Julian the Apostate by the Christians, because he not only was not a Christian, but he attempted to curtail the spread of Christianity.

After Christianity was finally established as the state religion of the Roman Empire, which was not until well into the 5th century, it would have been all someone's life was worth to have attempted publicly to cast doubt on the official accounts. You are very naive if you think that anyone until quite recently in history in an ostensibly Christian nation would have been free to publicly doubt the account of the "gospels." Anyone doing so would have done so at his own peril.

Nevertheless, criticisms of claims of the historical basis for much of the "testaments" as well as of the very existence of your boy Jesus dates back at least to the 16th century. If any were objecting before then, it is likely that they died in a bonfire for their troubles--Christian charity, you know.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 07:01 pm
I have long found it as difficult to accept a living, breathing, Jesus, as any form of a god. I just don't see anything worth considering.
0 Replies

stashlazarus

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 08:21 pm
A lot of Roman records were destroyed over the centuries. With the records that survived scholars have been able to piece together a very clear, but not complete picture of life in Roman. Scholars today do not know as much about life in the Roman Empire as the scholars of the Roman Empire who lived at a time when Roman documents were plentiful.

The Romans would arrest Christians, have them imprisoned or executed, they would take these gospels that the Christian possessed and destroy them, although they might not always destroy these documents. Since scholars are curious by nature and always have been, it is only common sense that some Roman scholars would want to study this growing phenomenon called Christianity and this study would occur at a time when criticism of Christianity was tolerated and welcome. It is hard to believe that no Roman scholar would be curious about Christianity, or that Roman scholars could not lay their hands on a copy of the gospels.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 08:26 pm
What's god done for us lately?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 11:27 pm
Whew! Give folks a few extra days off for the holiday and there is no telling what mischief may result.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 01:04 am
Razz
0 Replies