Ronnie and the Republicans

JTT

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 10:02 pm
"More than a few jelly beans short of a jarful" Ronnie was a racist?

Quote:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 562 • Replies: 11
No top replies

JTT

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 06:03 pm
Quote:

Nixon on Tape: Reagan Was "Shallow" and of "Limited Mental Capacity"

President Nixon: What's your evaluation of Reagan after meeting him several times now.

Kissinger: Well, I think he's a--actually I think he's a pretty decent guy.

President Nixon: Oh, decent, no question, but his brains

Kissinger: Well, his brains, are negligible. I--

President Nixon: He's really pretty shallow, Henry.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojoblog/archives/2007/11/6218_nixon_on_tape_r.html

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 06:25 pm
Re: Ronnie and the Republicans
JTT wrote:
"More than a few jelly beans short of a jarful" Ronnie was a racist?

Quote:

Ronald Reagan typified what many Americans wanted in a President; he knew who were our adversaries, and who were our allies.

Most Americans liked Ronald Reagan being our President. I've heard that some gays didn't like him for some reason relating to AIDS? I don't even know if that is true or a canard, since I have no contact with the gay community/sub-culture.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 12:00 am
A lot of Americans loved Reagan. He provided, for many, a father figure, someone who they could turn to for answers and for comfort in the manner that children do. I suspect that in many ways he was a decent fellow if clearly suffering from a moderate level of mental illness not associated with the Alzhieimers which showed up later in his life. He had, of course, sought celebrity in the manner typical to Hollywood types because it provided an emotional buoyancy related to being worshipped as someone more than merely equal. In retrospect, it ought not to surprise that he actually began to believe that he had lived some of the heroic roles which he'd only portrayed in movies. That heroism, though false, matched his own emotional needs and the emotional needs that are demonstrated in countless American myth stories from Johnny Appleseed through Davy Crockett and Chuck Norris movies. It is infantilism, for sure, but it all seems to serve the needs of many americans.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 02:40 am
I saw Shirley Chisolm speak live on campus at East Carolina University in 1976. I'll never gorget how she characterized Reagan. She said that he was the kind of guy who would give you the shirt off his own back, then go into an office and sign legislation that would cause millions of people to lose theirs.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 05:53 am
So he was a racist because he said, "I believe in states' rights?" You find this level of proof convincing? Specify in detail any single racist thing that he ever did.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 06:09 am
snood wrote:
I saw Shirley Chisolm speak live on campus at East Carolina University in 1976. I'll never gorget how she characterized Reagan. She said that he was the kind of guy who would give you the shirt off his own back, then go into an office and sign legislation that would cause millions of people to lose theirs.

One of my great regrets in politics is that I voted for this guy Reagan. He was racist, anti poor, foolish in so many ways. Remember when he went to the USSR and gave away the store, negotiating one on one, and then his handlers had to take it all back next day?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 07:18 am
I prefer to remember Ronnie as these people recall his legacy.

RICHARD NORTON SMITH: Well, everyone this weekend has talked about winning the Cold War, that will be part of the historical debate, that certainly is an enormous part of the legacy. Let me suggest something that people haven't talked about very much.

Norton SmithHe really probably more than any president since FDR transformed the political landscape, and that's not easy to do. FDR shattered the political consensus that he found in place in 1933, and he left behind a new consensus and an army of followers who for 50 years really defined American politics. And Ronald Reagan really followed in his footsteps, even if they charted a different course.

American conservatism before Ronald Reagan, conservatives were people who were fighting a rear guard against the 20th century. They invited caricature; they were overfed men in bat wing collars and little old ladies in tennis shoes who worried about fluoridation in their water. Ronald Reagan not only put a smile on the face of conservatism, his conservatism was not only optimistic, it was futuristic.

And that I think is an enormous part of his legacy, one that is still unfolding and, don't forget, there's a whole generation of young people who came of age during the Reagan years, many of whom are in this White House, others in all other sorts of fields, so the Reagan legacy marches on into the 21st century.

GWEN IFILL: Michael, if you use Richard's term of the new consensus that was formed, does that constitute the Reagan Revolution we hear about, and if it does, how would that manifest itself in policy?

MICHAEL BESCHLOSS: It does a little bit, although, you know, a large part of the Reagan Revolution was reduce the size of government. Reagan couldn't do it, nor could any later president, nor could any Republican today who might run now or in four years, so it didn't quite happen.

At the same time Richard is right in terms of there are certain things now that are centrist that 25 years ago were conservative. Bill Clinton who was a Great Society liberal when he started out was the one in 1996 who said the era of big government is over, and also signed a welfare bill that was anything but liberal.

BeschlossHe did that because the consensus had moved, he was afraid not to. He wanted to run for reelection. And the other thing that Reagan did that I think did buck this is one test of a leader is if he or she creates an institution that carries on his or her ideas after they leave the stage. The Republican Party in 1980 was moderate and even liberal enough so that the elder George Bush almost got that nomination in 1980, he was a moderate from the Northeast.

Nowadays, the Republican Party is 90 to 100 percent a Ronald Reagan party, conservative southwestern, and also very religious. He changed it, and it is in a way an engine of Reaganism that carries that on.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/remember/jan-june04/historians_reagan_6-7.html
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 09:54 am
Quote:

If you want one example of hard proof of the CIA's involvement in this, and their approach to it, dig up `The Sabotage Manual', that they were circulating throughout Nicaragua, a comic-book type of a paper, with visual explanations of what you can do to bring a society to a halt, how you can gum up typewriters, what you can pour in a gas tank to burn up engines, what you can stuff in a sewage to stop up the sewage so it won't work, things you can do to make a society simply cease to function.

Systematically, the contras have been assassinating religious workers, teachers, health workers, elected officials, government administrators. You remember the assassination manual? that surfaced in 1984. It caused such a stir that President Reagan had to address it himself in the presidential debates with Walter Mondale. They use terror. This is a technique that they're using to traumatize the society so that it can't function.

I don't mean to abuse you with verbal violence, but you have to understand what your government and its agents are doing. They go into villages, they haul out families. With the children forced to watch they castrate the father, they peel the skin off his face, they put a grenade in his mouth and pull the pin. With the children forced to watch they gang-rape the mother, and slash her breasts off. And sometimes for variety, they make the parents watch while they do these
things to the children.

This is nobody's propaganda. There have been over 100,000 American witnesses for peace who have gone down there and they have filmed and photographed and witnessed these atrocities immediately after they've happened, and documented 13,000 people killed this way, mostly women and children. These are the activities done by these contras. The contras are the people president Reagan calls `freedom fighters'. He says they're the moral equivalent of our founding fathers. And the whole world gasps at this confession of his family traditions.

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Stockwell/StockwellCIA87_2.html

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 12:20 pm
I think part of the Reagan mystique results from his coming into the Presidency on the heels of the Iran hostage situation that ended as soon as he was to be the President. I tend to believe that set the stage for him, that gave his Presidency an impetus that made his Presidency fairly positive to the American public.

After the collective feeling of humiliation, in my opinion, that the American public felt with the Iranian hostage situation dragging on, and the prior administration seeming unable to address it to a positive conclusion, Reagan then made many people, I believe, feel good again about being an American. Just my own opinion.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 12:28 pm
Foofie wrote:
... Reagan then made many people, I believe, feel good again about being an American. Just my own opinion.

And so much to feel proud about.

++++++++++++++++++++++

"Systematically, the contras have been assassinating religious workers, teachers, health workers, elected officials, government administrators. You remember the assassination manual? that surfaced in 1984. It caused such a stir that President Reagan had to address it himself in the presidential debates with Walter Mondale. They use terror.

I don't mean to abuse you with verbal violence, but you have to understand what your government and its agents are doing. They go into villages, they haul out families. With the children forced to watch they castrate the father, they peel the skin off his face, they put a grenade in his mouth and pull the pin. With the children forced to watch they gang-rape the mother, and slash her breasts off. And sometimes for variety, they make the parents watch while they do these things to the children. "
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 12:44 pm
JTT wrote:
Foofie wrote:
... Reagan then made many people, I believe, feel good again about being an American. Just my own opinion.

And so much to feel proud about.

++++++++++++++++++++++

"Systematically, the contras have been assassinating religious workers, teachers, health workers, elected officials, government administrators. You remember the assassination manual? that surfaced in 1984. It caused such a stir that President Reagan had to address it himself in the presidential debates with Walter Mondale. They use terror.

I don't mean to abuse you with verbal violence, but you have to understand what your government and its agents are doing. They go into villages, they haul out families. With the children forced to watch they castrate the father, they peel the skin off his face, they put a grenade in his mouth and pull the pin. With the children forced to watch they gang-rape the mother, and slash her breasts off. And sometimes for variety, they make the parents watch while they do these things to the children. "

I was only saying how, I believe, he made many Americans feel about being an American after the Iranian hostage situation. And, a large segment of Americans only relate to our collective consciousness as Americans, I believe. So, if you have a more acute awareness of the world's ills, bless you.
0 Replies