health insurance

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 09:35 pm
I have a question about insurance...I currently have a job with all benefits. I no longer think I'm cut out for it to make it a career. Not also that, but i have a feeling that a lot of people there don't like me, so it does make it harder to go to work like that. I am also currently 4 months pregnant and was thinking about changing careers with another job that also has benefits. Or just slowing down cause I'm also working two jobs. I was told that once you are pregnant you can't get insurance. But I heard that if you already have insurance and quit or lose your job then there is an exception. I'm soo lost and confused. I want to be happy without having to go to a job that i know that no one wants me there.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 709 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 09:39 pm
You need to carefully read the paperwork part of the insurance policy at your current employer.

I doubt this is the time to change jobs...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 09:41 pm
I think Hillary has a plan for you...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 10:48 pm
If your employer has over 20 employees, you are entitled to continue your insurance coverage at your own expense, for 18 months. This is a part of COBRA, or the Ominbus Budget Reconciliation Act. They are also required to notify you of this right within something like 30 or 60 days after your departure. If they don't, you may have them by the short hairs, but it's best (simpler) to determine those rights at the time you leave. You will be required to pay the entire amount yourself, but the entire 18 months are at the group rate. If you have some special medical condition that would otherwise make you uninsurable, you should take it.

Good luck out there.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 10:09 am
I can make this easy for you. You should not (read: cannot) leave your job for at least a year, maybe longer if the baby has any health problems. No one is going to hire a pregnant woman and put them on their insurance. Pregnant women are expensive, new mother's are expensive - insurance companies charge premium rates for both and corporate America knows it. You would have to be a spectacular worker for it to be worth their bottom line.

Roger is correct about COBRA, but it will cost you somewhere between $500-$750 per month depending on your current benefits. I assume you are not married or you do not have a spouse with benefits or you would switch on to their plan. Maybe you can scale back the 2nd job you have without benefits to make your job with the benefits less stressful.

Unless you are wealthy or want to go on welfare, your only choice is to stay where you are and pray they don't fire you or lay you off anytime soon.

Really, don't risk it, stay put.

Good Luck.

(Personally, I would vote for Attila the Hun if I felt he was offering a viable fix to America's health care problems)
0 Replies