What form of government do you prefer?

Mr Phil

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 04:03 pm
Instead of initiating a poll, I much prefer to read the responses to this topic.

What is your preference in forms of government?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,140 • Replies: 26
No top replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 04:08 pm
pacifistic empathic anarchy.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 04:17 pm
tinygiraffe wrote:

Give PEAs a chance...
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 04:39 pm
ha! that was awesome.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 05:30 pm
The United States Constitution says it all. We have an imperfect system, administered by imperfect leaders for an imperfect People. The system is generally responsive to the People, yet slow enough to blunt the feverish demands of fashionable mobs. Compared to all other systems, this one has proven exceptionally robust and capable of balancing the needs of society with the desires of individuals. It is a system of government worthy of giving up one's life to preserve.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 06:05 pm
monarchy... me in charge..
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 06:10 pm
Asherman wrote:
The United States Constitution says it all. We have an imperfect system, administered by imperfect leaders for an imperfect People. The system is generally responsive to the People, yet slow enough to blunt the feverish demands of fashionable mobs. Compared to all other systems, this one has proven exceptionally robust and capable of balancing the needs of society with the desires of individuals. It is a system of government worthy of giving up one's life to preserve.

The rest of the world tends to disagree in my estimation.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 07:31 pm
That's probably why so many smuggle themselves out of the U.S. and into Russia, Iran, Mexico, China, etc.

But, what the hey! Folks who prefer a different sort of government can immigrate where to some place they believe is better. Where do YOU prefer to live, and are you living there now?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 07:42 pm
Once George Bush is out of office and the stench is gone, this country may once again be habitable.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 07:47 pm
Asherman wrote:
............yet slow enough to blunt the feverish demands of fashionable mobs........
The source of said sluggishness perhaps best befits the US legal system not the US government. As to whether such unresponsiveness (the criminalization of marijuana comes to mind) is a definitive plus I question. I would like to see you argue that modern US marijuana prohibition is more than ignorant fear mongering as compared to the negative consequences of its criminalization. In this case any presumption of feverish and fashionable mobs would be rather absurd.
Asherman wrote:
Compared to all other systems, this one has proven exceptionally robust and capable of balancing the needs of society with the desires of individuals.
Having made the above expansive yet unsubstantiated claim you should have no difficulty demonstrating the Canadian system less robust and less capable of "balancing the needs of society with the desires of individual".

I also question the US integration of church and state contrary to the US constitution as compared to it Canadian counterparts.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 08:05 pm
I favor the government which governs least. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be what conservative means, anymore.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 08:09 pm
Asherman wrote:
It is a system of government worthy of giving up one's life to preserve.
You might be willing to believe that without question but the skeptical man would want to know what the particular fight is about firstly.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 08:12 pm
roger wrote:
I favor the government which governs least. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be what conservative means, anymore.
I agree but I'll take it one step further by suggesting that the ideals of conservatism may never have embraced minimal interventionism as much as the popular notion.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 08:19 pm
A constitution republic worked pretty well.

Too bad we didn't heed Franklin's warning, and keep it.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 09:40 pm
Asherman wrote:
That's probably why so many smuggle themselves out of the U.S. and into Russia, Iran, Mexico, China, etc.

But, what the hey! Folks who prefer a different sort of government can immigrate where to some place they believe is better. Where do YOU prefer to live, and are you living there now?

A lot of people go to wal-mart too; doesn't make Wal-Mart any better than other stores.

But on the whole I agree with you; our constitution and system of checks and balances does make America a great country. Ideally. Luckily we still have in place elections and term limits for presidents.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 09:57 pm
Government is actually the worst failure of civilized man. There has never been a really good one, and even those that are most tolerable are arbitrary, cruel, grasping and unintelligent. -- H. L. Mencken
0 Replies

Mr Phil

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 01:31 pm
The above statement from Mencken ought to be revised. Government proper is not the "worst" failure of civilized man, and the reasons for an absence of a "good" government are equivalent to the very source of government itself. This relation is obvious.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 06:59 pm
Are you suggesting we get the government we deserve?

If so what about the circumstances where people en mass fight for their rights and freedoms but are suppressed cruelly for the trying?
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 08:28 pm
I do believe people get the government they deserve.

I also agree it is a tragedy when people who are opressed struggle for their freedom, and suffer for it. But if there is one thing I have learned about human nature - you just can't give anything, especially freedom, to people. They have to fight for it and earn it themselves. Just look at Iraq.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 02:12 am
tinygiraffe wrote:

Well this is about as likely to occur as pigs taking wing, or Bipo ruling from a throne.

But then the posting question allow for fancy.
0 Replies