Two Years After 9/11: 25 Things We Now Know

PDiddie

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 11:20 am
http://www.democraticunderground.com/articles/03/08/19_25.jpg

Bernard Weiner, Ph.D., has taught government & international relations at various universities, was a writer-editor with the San Francisco Chronicle for nearly two decades, and is co-editor of the progressive political website www.crisispapers.org

Last year, close to the time of the first anniversary of the 2001 terror attacks, I wrote "Twenty Things We've Learned One Year After 9/11." Now we're approaching the second anniversary, and it's time for an update.

Things we could only speculate about a year ago have taken place - to name just three: an invasion and occupation of Iraq (based on misleading intelligence and outright lies), an administration that may have committed the treasonous act of deliberately revealing the identity of a CIA agent, and shocking revelations about the computer-screen voting system now being put into place around the country for the 2004 election.

The list below can be used both as a reminder to all of us why we're fighting this fight, and as a place to start from when organizing and talking to others about why you will be voting for someone other than George W. Bush in the presidential race next year.

The Iraq War

1. We know that a cabal of ideologically motivated Bush officials, on the rightwing fringe of the Republican Party, were calling for a military takeover of Iraq as early as 1991. This group included Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Perle, Woolsey, Bolton, Khalizad and others, all of whom are now located in positions of power in the Pentagon and State Department.

They helped found the Project for The New American Century (PNAC) in 1997; among their recommendations: "pre-emptively" attacking other countries devoid of imminent danger to the US, abrogating agreed-upon treaties when they conflict with US goals, making sure no other country (or organization, such as the United Nations) can ever achieve parity with the US, installing US-friendly governments to do America's will, using tactical nuclear weapons, and so on. In short, as they put it, the goal is "benevolent global hegemony."

All of these extreme suggestions, once regarded as lunatic, are now enshrined as official policy in the National Security Strategy of the United States of America, published by the Bush Administration in late 2002.

2. We know that Bush and his highest officials - notably Rice, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Perle, and, to a lesser extent, Powell - lied outrageously about Iraq's weapons capabilities in order to get their war plans endorsed by the Congress and the American people. The biggest of many whoppers involved were the made-up stories about nuclear "mushroom clouds" over America, unleashed by the Iraqi drone air force.

These lies have fooled many Americans, but other countries, especially in Europe, smelled the rotten evidence and the imperial ambitions and would have nothing to do with the invasion of Iraq, denouncing the Bush Administration to its face. Up to 10 million citizens (mostly organized via the internet) marched worldwide on the same day to try to stop the invasion before the war had even started; something that had never happened before in world history.

3. We know that Rumsfeld wanted to move on Iraq just hours after 9/11, even though he was informed that it was an al-Qaida operation and that there was no evidence of Iraqi involvement. When the CIA and other intelligence agencies said the same thing about a supposed al-Qaida link - and Iraq's alleged nuclear program and other WMD - Rumsfeld set up his own intelligence-gathering unit inside the Pentagon, the Office of Special Plans, and installed a number of PNAC hardliners to tell him what he wanted to hear. Their cooked-books "intelligence" became the basis for invading Iraq.

4. We know that Bush and his highest officials, their lies having been exposed by their own contradictory words, first decided to blame others: The patsy this time was the CIA, and Tenet fell on his sword, sort of, in accepting the blame. (Angry elements in the CIA then began leaking damning information about administration involvement in other WMD lies.)

When Karl Rove and the others snookered the media into focusing on 16 words in Bush's State of the Union Speech about supposed uranium sales to Iraq, they looked at the polls showing a majority of Americans not caring about the lies as long as the evil Saddam had been removed, and began telling even more whoppers. (Meanwhile, in the UK, Tony Blair could lose his job because he lied even more blatantly than did Bush, if such is possible; he trumpeted that Iraq could launch biochemical agents at British sites within 45 minutes, and now he's been found out as well.)

5. We know that Bush and Blair felt compelled to "sex up" their justification for going to war against Iraq by focusing on the WMD issue because the real reason - to bomb and take over a weak nation in that area of the world as a demonstration warning to other Middle East, oil-rich countries that they'd better come on board or face the same consequence - would never win the support of the American people. Americans aren't big on overt imperial rule, and the bullying and arrogant militarism that go with such rule, preferring more subtle means of influence and control.

Read the other twenty at Dr. Weiner's website, The Crisis Papers.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 767 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Hazlitt

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 05:39 pm
Right on PDiddie

We also know that Bush is in way over his head. The latest indication of this is the Iraqi attack today on the UN Embassy in Bagdad.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/19/international/middleeast/19CND-ISRAEL.html?hp

The Neo-cons have always been hard headed in their view of human nature and have always berated Liberals for being unrealistic about how people think. Yet, in the run up to the war, every Liberal I know of warned that an attack on Iraq would inflame every existing terrorist, would be the cause for recruiting new terrorists, and would create a hardened Iraqi resistence. We said this while the Neo-cons were preaching that we'd be welcomed in Iraq with open arms, a western style democracy friendly to the US would be quickly established, and terrorism would be dealt a lethal blow.

What a stupendous object lesson this all has been about the perils of cooking up a policy on the basis of personal belief and then supporting the policy with lies and contorted facts.

If ever we had a president who ought to resign, along whth his henchmen, out of pure shame, Bush is the man.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 09:57 pm
Another thing we know about Bush is how he will take advantage of an emergency situation in order to ram through pet legislation that is either irrelevant or overkill.

Current example: He's trying to get his Alaska oil drilling bill passed as a remedy for blackouts like the one we just experienced in the east.

We all need to write our representatives demanding that they not be bushwhacked into voting for his energy bill. What is needed is some federal guidence and money to repair and update the grid.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 11:08 pm
Well, I think more things. I think we need to play in the same league. It's all very well to be lofty about high moral ground, but if you lose the election and the country, that ground won't be high enough.

The Bush league has had a major advantage that they've used every time. There's a seasoned group of pros in the advertising and PR fields who have helped push the agenda. Roger Ailes (Fox, Republican Party) trained with Lee Atwater, who had a dark genius for the down and dirty ads and PR. And Rove was one of their boys. So they lie, then they manipulate their lies and sit heavy on the press. Grover Norquist has been one of the evil kings in all this. And they all use 9/11 as much as possible. The republican convention will be in New York, and they will milk it dry.

So what we need are the players, the ones who aren't afraid to come out. And they need to get their own message out about 9/11. So many of the affected families are angry, because the government never lived up to their promises. That's a lesson. All the jobs lost, and never replaced by anything, and the benefits cut off. Surely there's a 9/11 lesson to be paraded there. The lives being lost in Iraq; the cost of the war; the continuing lack of meaninful help from meaningful allies - these are all direct results of 9/11. Was that a message that died?

The republicans are going to play up 9/11 and patriotism and national security for all they're worth. But we can counterattack, if we have the guts.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 08:39 am
Thanks, PDiddie, for starting this discussion. Much needed. Will read every word later when there's a little more time! If we now look at what we didn't know a year ago (but believed), and try to imagine what we believe now and may well know a year from now, it could change the landscape of our expectations.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 06:02 pm
http://www.buzzflash.com/contributors/03/08/cw/cw-795.jpg

Quote:
With permission of the author and his publisher (Farrar, Strauss and Giroux), the second section we are reproducing (beginning on page 795 of the book) finds Blumenthal reflecting on Bush's White House stature before and after 9/11. It includes information on how the Bush team was fully briefed by Clinton staffers about the imminent threat posed by terrorism. Blumenthal reveals shockingly how the Bush national security team ignored an explicit warning about al-Qaeda and Osama Bin Laden before 9/11 from within the National Security Council itself -- and how the official who gave them that red alert was isolated as a result.

Was it a plan all along, to follow up the charade of lack of 9/11 knowledge with a concocted war Question Linkage, what linkage Question A criminal act Question YES Exclamation

Don't ever forget Bush's actions at the grade school and his oft repeated comments, "I hit the trifecta!" He knew where he stood and what he had <sigh> Men and boys are still dying...................
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 06:12 pm
Works for me. Anyone who doesn't at least consider this scenario has what I'd call a closed mind.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 10:15 pm
Bill - I remember reading about that some time ago. Somewhere in my head is a memory of Rice being interviewed, and when asked about this, stated that she didn't have the time.

And I have never heard Kofi Anan get angry, or accusatory, but he was tonight. It was quite plain that he holds the U.S. to account for the bombing, and said that there hasn't yet been a successful case of nation-building without U.N. support. He was also pretty upset about the security problem they face. And I think it's worth noticing that there really didn't seem to be that much upset among the Iraqis.

Bush rode high on 9/11, and milked it. Who remembers that he didn't get to New York until a week later, while Clinton was here right away? And the papers have been taking some notice of him sitting in his ranch, reluctant to give up his month vacation. For some not-so-subtle digs, read Elisabeth Bumiller in the New York Times. She rarely mentions Bush in Texas without noting the size of his ranch, or having lunch with Powell last week at the local eatery. Bet you thought Powell was a guest at the ranch. And today she quoted him, and said he was speaking from in front of the gas station. I don't know whether or not this will mean much, but there is a decidedly different tone to some of the reporting about the Bush league now. And this morning, one of my neighbors sarcastically talked about Bush's month-long vacation. Nothing about a working vacation, or the fact that the poor man deserved it. I agreed. Last year this same neighbor was telling me how hard he worked. This time, she asked me what I knew about Dean.

I wonder how New York will really take to the republican convention? The money it brings in is always welcome, but we're not all that crazy about republicans in these parts.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 12:27 pm
Something which will create a tectonic shift, I think, is the breakdown of the "road map" in Israel.
0 Replies