What the World Eats, Part I

cyphercat

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 12:31 pm
I agree with you about taste, Chai, and that goes back to all the processed foods too-- they just wreck your taste buds for being able to taste fresh and simple foods, IMO. I never appreciated all the flavors of vegetables and grains and stuff until I quit eating processed foods... Your sense of taste really does change once it's recovered from being glutted with sodium.

Anyway, I've only had a chance to look at the first part, going to go check out the next two...

(Oh, and p.s. I agree with you about the Sicilian dad too-- mrow!)
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 04:28 pm
Canada and Greenland eat polar bears and narwhales? I thought those were protected species? Or am I just batty?

Anyway, very interesting!

My husband was born and raised in Siberia (very close to the northern tip of the Japanese islands) and he tells me all sorts of interesting things about the food over there.

Like how he and his cousin once got into a wrestling fight about who got the last orange of a bag of oranges his grandfather had procured. They are just so rare over there as, of course, most tropical fruit would be.

Also the radishes they grew were sweet, not hot like here in the states. The onions they grew were large and sweeter as well, his grandfather used to eat them like apples.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 05:01 pm
Green Witch wrote:
The penguins lying dead on the table in Greenland made me sad.- and I'm pro hunting. Penguins will probably be extinct in the wild in less than 50 years based on current population declines.

Um ... penguins only inhabit the Southern Hemisphere. Not sure what was on the Greenland table, but it's highly unlikely to be penguins.

In Canada, and probably Greenland as well, indigenous people are generally exempt from wildlife conservation laws, provided that they consume or use their prey for their own use. The philosophy is that their low and generally scattered populations do not pose a serious risk to endangered species, and that hunting for food is an intrinsic part of their culture.

I also found the photo essay fascinating. By the time I got to parts II and III, I tried guessing the country of origin before reading the caption. I was more often wrong than right.

Along with Coke (which was no surprise), Ritz crackers seem to be strangely ubiquitous.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 06:59 pm
Tico wrote:
Green Witch wrote:
The penguins lying dead on the table in Greenland made me sad.- and I'm pro hunting. Penguins will probably be extinct in the wild in less than 50 years based on current population declines.

Um ... penguins only inhabit the Southern Hemisphere. Not sure what was on the Greenland table, but it's highly unlikely to be penguins.

Definitly a sea bird of some kind. Mutton bird?
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 09:03 am
I feel a bit guilty after looking at this.

I think this is useful for making some changes. Thanks.

The family in Iquilat. I'm surprised there wasn't more junk food there.
0 Replies