Favorite foods: spaghetti, potatoes, sesame chicken
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,920 • Replies: 44
No top replies

Mame

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 05:24 pm
I found it interesting to note how some families eat primarily packaged foods while others ate a lot of fresh veggies and fruit. Even the Japanese family had a lot of packaged goods, and that surprised me.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 06:05 pm
How many of those photos have coca cola in them.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 06:11 pm
The people in NC may have more calories, but the family in Chad gets more nutrition. Ironically, when it comes to food - wealth can kill you.

There's a similar book of photos that show people standing outside their homes with all their possessions. Everything from a family in front of a yurt with some rugs and cooking pots to what looks like the biggest lawn sale ever somewhere in the USA.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 06:20 pm
very interesting!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 08:00 pm
portion control is needed in most of the first world/ Im amazxed at the crap we eat, and as dadpad noted, sweetwater fizzy sodas are just tablespoonsful of sugar in a glss.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 08:19 pm
Is food in Germany really expensive? The German family was spending $500 per week, that was high even compared to the Americans and British. Is it the beer tab? (I also noticed their food display was the most organized- like rows of little soldiers).
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 08:45 pm
Mexicans had the most Cokes (only second to Icelanders in per capita consumption). I found the picture quite accurate...
... should I add that diabetes is a national health problem?

Another question: Which food displays appealed to you? Which didn't?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 08:58 pm
fbaezer wrote:
Mexicans had the most Cokes (only second to Icelanders in per capita consumption). I found the picture quite accurate...
... should I add that diabetes is a national health problem?

The Middle eastern and Mexican food appealed the most.....but not the coke!!!

The African foods appealed most after that.

I had to exclude sheep flesh and cattle flesh from my thinking when I looked at those pictures, btw, as I eat only chicken and fish....but the lovely variety of vegies and fruit in the Mexican, and the lovely earthy pulses and such in the Middle Eastern...mmmmm....

The American appealed least, closely followed by the British and German.

That's ironic, as, had Australia appeared, it might have looked a lot like them.......only, I hope, with more fresh food...including fruit and veg...but I don't know if it would. Surely Americans don't eat so much pizza????
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 08:59 pm
fbaezer wrote:

Most appealing: the Italian table (minus the Ragu, oh the shame of it!) and the Polish (good veggies and sausage).

Least Appealing: Ecuador (I'm not big on potatoes and plantains) and the American family in NC, no greens just all processed fat, starch and sugar.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 09:14 pm
Too many Americans eat poorly - I agree. It's much better to hunt and fish for your own food whenever possible, and make smart decisions when shopping and eating out.

I'd like to point out that in the two pics zip posted, the Africans are sitting in front of about 75 lbs of dried rice, beans, and peas. Reconstituted that goes up to about 150 lbs. Just for perspective that much dried goods would cost at least $20 or more in the U.S. Also note the myriad of jugs of water behind the Africans that they hauled from a source somewhere as they have no running water.

I like flush toilets.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 09:21 pm
The most appealing to me was the Mexican table (yes, too much Coke, and they are the chubbier family), after that, the Cairo and Kuwaiti.

The Italian table looked too Americanized, compared to the ones in my friends' homes.

The least appealing to me were: by far Peru (the Andean family), then the American ones (the NC was unhealthier, but it seemed at least American-like tasty; California seemed fake-healthy), and the Brits. The German didn't look so bad: would choose it over the Japanese, or the poor Africans and village Asians.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 09:24 pm
They would have been in for a surprise at my house or if they'd picked a hunt/fish/gather/garden family in the USA. They picked supermarket dependent families (not that we don't shop in stores, but we eat heavily from what we harvest ourselves).
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 09:53 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Is food in Germany really expensive? The German family was spending $500 per week, that was high even compared to the Americans and British. Is it the beer tab? (I also noticed their food display was the most organized- like rows of little soldiers).

Yes it is expensive! Especially fresh produce and fruits, also fish and
meat. Beer is the least expensive - as they consider it a basic food
ingredient Wink

My mother pays for a loaf of bread around 9 Euro = ca. $ 11.00
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 04:45 am
I'm glad people found it interesting Smile ,We gotta learn to cut the coke and pizza. I've seen too many obese folks in U.S.

Here is part II: What the World Eats, Part II

and part III: What the World Eats, Part III

dlowan, Australia is in part II.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 07:34 am
I would love to see Coke and all McFood disappear from the planet.
However, a well made pizza is my idea of paradise.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 07:49 am
What the heck is wrong with Coke???

Geesh people. Moderation is the key. People who blame inanimate stuff for their own issues really bug me.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 07:54 am
cjhsa wrote:

Geesh people. Moderation is the key. People who blame inanimate stuff for their own issues really bug me.

I blame Coke for this:

Coca Cola in India
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 08:09 am
Green Witch wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

I blame Coke for this:

Coca Cola in India

I'm sure you have someone to blame for everything. Sad.

Your link is nothing more than an anti-globalization effort in this case aimed at what is obviously a very popular product in India.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 08:26 am
Yeah, poor Coke, everyone is picking on them.

Corporate fascism is still Fascism.
0 Replies