Mom misses son's pubertal debut

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 03:51 pm
OK, here's the deal. I had to drive to the suburbs to go to court this morning, so I was listening to NPR. One of the stories, in its own special way, just sorta' weirded me out. It was about soldier moms returning home from Iraq. Here's the weird part:
    While she was away, Smith missed her youngest son's puberty. "My youngest son, when I left, was maybe here to my nose in height," Smith says. "And I came back, he's four inches taller than me and his voice is deep. And I was like, 'Who are you?' ... That devastated me. So that's one thing I feel I lost. I lost my baby."

While I can understand this mom's regret at missing out on a year of her son's life, it just sounds kinda' creepy to say that she "missed his puberty." I'm sorry, but if my mom had expressed any interest in witnessing my puberty, I think I would have had no choice but to kill myself.

Does this sound weird to anyone else? Any moms out there who will admit to being enthusiastic about watching their sons' puberties?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 846 • Replies: 10
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 03:57 pm
The mother didn't say that....as far as I can see...the reporter said it.

It would be weird, put that way, coming from a parent's mouth...but I think it perfectly normal to be a bit sad about leaving a kid, and coming home to a gangly adolescent.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 03:58 pm
you've met my sister-in-law, joe.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 03:59 pm
JPB wrote:
you've met my sister-in-law, joe.

Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 04:01 pm
What saddened me deeply was the 3 year old, further on in the story, who had to face losing her mother, ( a tour of duty would have no meaning to a 3 year old) and thought it was her fault.

I hope to god she was well attached to her dad and grandparents. Think of all the kids this applies to, (and far worse) and the repercussions down the years for them.

The trauma of these wars! Spreading in ripples that go on and on.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 05:34 pm
Whoa. I've been sitting right here in the same house with SonofEva all this time, and dammit, I missed it!!!

I really oughta open the door to his room more often.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 07:13 pm
Eva wrote:
I really oughta open the door to his room more often.

Knock first.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 10:01 pm
But...then I'd miss it for sure!

Laughing
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 10:48 pm
Shocked

so many thoughts, so few of them appropriate, and even fewer ways of putting any of them in words....
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 11:06 pm
I don't think you want to be seeing anything in there, Eva Smile Ignorance is bliss!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 10:05 pm
I keep telling myself that, Mame. Laughing

I agree, that writer's choice of words was weird. I understand not being there during a growth spurt, but saying she "missed his puberty" is just...well...yeah, weird.

Not that it would've been much different if she HAD been there. They can literally wake up looking different than before they went to sleep.
0 Replies