A question of interest

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:09 pm
According to specific dictates of the constitution, is the Presidents primary obligation to protect the constitutional rights and freedoms of the people or to defend the nation from foreign aggression?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 647 • Replies: 11
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 05:06 pm
interesting lack of responses, where's Okie?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 06:50 pm
Both isn't an option, or do you wish to know which of those 2 are more important?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 06:58 pm
Primary appears to be the clue.

I'll buy a vowel.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 07:26 pm
Well, according to the Constitution, after the oath of office it mentions that the President is CinC of the military as his primary job (at least if you go by the order his responsibilities are listed).
It can be found in Article 2, section 2...

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#A2Sec1
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 07:34 pm
The President's primary obligation is to power & money.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 09:57 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Well, according to the Constitution, after the oath of office it mentions that the President is CinC of the military as his primary job (at least if you go by the order his responsibilities are listed).
It can be found in Article 2, section 2...

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#A2Sec1
"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 10:34 pm
I have sworn a similar oath...even in mine, upholding the US constitution came first, before the state of Missouri's constitution, and the laws of my municipality.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 04:15 am
McGentrix wrote:
Both isn't an option, or do you wish to know which of those 2 are more important?
Perhaps reading isn't your strongest skill.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 08:11 am
I think the president is supposed to be able to multi-task.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 09:21 am
My evaluation, dys.

The balance of power among the three branches of government has tipped too far in favor of the executive branch. The real problem began when the president was granted police powers during the Korean conflict.

The president of the U.S. has always been commander in chief of the armed forces, but I think that Bush had plenty of time to convene a special session of congress after 9/11, and let them decide about the war in Iraq, and the so called "pockets of terrorism" in our country.

We need to restore the power to declare war to the Legislative branch and both your options would be resolved.
0 Replies

Halfback

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 11:19 pm
Unless I have missed something very severe in the makeup of our Constitution, the Legislative Branch still has the authority to declare war (the only authority, incidently).

Ever since Korea, however, our fence sitting Congress has been more than willing to vote to let the Pres do "his thing" and start pointing fingers later, when the public puts the heat on. Razz

The "evil" Pres got his vote from Congress and went on his merry way. If Congress had any guts at all, they would NOT have voted to let Bush have his way with Iraq. But, no, the milksops let him go on, in the overall idea of "doing something" about 9/11.

My cat's got more brains than half the folks in Congress. (and more balls, for that matter.) :wink:

Halfback
0 Replies