Fast Food / Public Safety / Universal Healthcare

Chumly

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 02:12 pm
Should the US government take an active role in enforcing / penalizing / monitoring / controlling dietary-lifestyle choices in the interests of improving the population's heath under the guise of universal healthcare and/or from the perspective of "public safety" in general?

The US government certainly does so with respect to a number of other "public safety" considerations such as seatbelts and marijuana, thus I ask why should it be different as to the irresponsible consumption of fast foods under the umbrella of universal healthcare, or for that matter from the perspective of "public safety" in general?

Now understand, I'm not saying that it should-would be that way, but what would logically stop the government from taking a such a position against the irresponsible consumption of fast foods under the guise of universal healthcare and/or from the perspective of "public safety" in general?

Now I know about the slippery slope logical fallacy, and if you feel it applies then show your arguments as to why any consumption of marijuana is penalized by the US government, but fast food is not.

Also, it should be noted that I live in a Canada with universal healthcare and we have what's called "ParticipACTION". Despite government hype to the contrary its efficacy is dubious. http://www.participaction.com/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 741 • Replies: 6
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 02:16 pm
Several Things here:

GOVT CONTROL of "DIET" - Well, to a degree, they already do regulate through the FDA, what types of food can be sold and insuring proper packaging etc. Some local govts have forced Fast Food restaurants to change what type of oil they use to fry their "french fries" in. However, to extend that to one's home.......???????

As far as POT, once the Govt figures out how and who distributes so they can tax it, I suspect the day may come.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 02:19 pm
I forgot to add if anyone wishes to argue that fast food is more necessary and/or less harmful than marijuana I would question that belief unless you can well support such argument.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 02:21 pm
Chumly wrote:
I forgot to add if anyone wishes to argue that fast food is more necessary and/or less harmful than marijuana I would question that belief unless you can well support such argument.

Fast food is only necessary AFTER consumption of marijuana. :wink:
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 02:25 pm
It might appear that we've lost all sense of proportion: In that -- how huge and grotesque things have become: Colossal motor vehicles; the portions of food I crave; gaudy, land-devouring McMansions; my own and other American (once) citizen's/(now) consumer's sea-to-shining-sea asses. Some malcontent blowhard might strain to make a connection here: Fat-ass homes, trucks and SUVs -- fat-asses inside those homes, trucks and SUVs.... Our bellies grow -- nature contracts: After dinner, I loosen my belt and my engorged gut expands and displaces a tapir in the Amazonian rain forest; the more stuffed my freezer becomes, the more the polar ice caps shrink -- I mindlessly scoop a third helping of ice-cream and a polar bear slips through thinning Arctic ice. There is not a granule of truth to the supposition that: My awareness of all this is as diminished as sea-life in the over-fished oceans. That: Schools of neurons disappear as I reach for another benumbing beer. Though: I will admit that I find my prescribed dosage of Paxil taken with a double mochachino latte chaser does the trick; now, I find a fleeting sense of accomplishment by the act of winnowing down my world to only what is absolutely controllable -- So tell me, how am I supposed to provide succor to the dying seas?

But I have found that as I make my world smaller and smaller, all of the fixtures, objects, and accouterment in it have grown larger and larger: From convenience store cups, to traffics jams; from the sprawling subdivision where I live, to the greedy, super-sized sense of entitlement of my over-wrought, super-sized child -- We seem to have super-sized our portions of resentment. My SUV is no longer large enough to contain my anger, These epic servings of food are not enough to push down my sense of disappointment, There is not enough room in my McMansion to store away all of my regret.
http://www.swans.com/library/art9/procks03.html
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 02:27 pm
woiyo wrote:
Several Things here:

GOVT CONTROL of "DIET" - Well, to a degree, they already do regulate through the FDA, what types of food can be sold and insuring proper packaging etc. Some local govts have forced Fast Food restaurants to change what type of oil they use to fry their "french fries" in. However, to extend that to one's home.......???????

As far as POT, once the Govt figures out how and who distributes so they can tax it, I suspect the day may come.
In Canada we have a similar organization called "Health Canada" but in both cases it's my understanding that the regulation of foodstuffs is limited to ensuring it's fresh, disease free and dangerous chemical free.

Also it should be noted that supplements (vitamins etc) are not regulated by either organization beyond a cursory nod to wards disease and dangerous chemical free status.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 02:28 pm
woiyo wrote:
Fast food is only necessary AFTER consumption of marijuana. :wink:
Beautiful simply beautiful!!
0 Replies