Boys and Girls Club of America

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 09:34 am
There is a B&GCoA near my neighborhood and every time we go past Mo wants to go there. I always thought the Club was more for disadvantaged kids and their website seems to support this idea:

Quote:
In every community, boys and girls are left to find their own recreation and companionship in the streets. An increasing number of children are at home with no adult care or supervision. Young people need to know that someone cares about them.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these clubs and what you think about them.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,778 • Replies: 34
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 12:02 pm
Thirty years ago Mr. Noddy's nieces were active in a Girls Club Junior Businesswoman group.

Have you Googled your local newspaper for stories about your local B&G Club activities?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 02:21 pm
I think they have some good stuff. From their link at: http://www.bgcportland.org/main.asp?id=14

Quote:

11/12/2007

Core Programs

The Boys & Girls Club's youth development strategy is designed to instill in every Club member a sense of belonging, competence, usefulness, and power or influence over their lives. This strategy has been proven to enable young people to reach their full potential as productive, responsible and caring citizens. This strategy is implemented in every interaction with our members, and is infused into the following five core program areas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Character & Leadership Development
Community Service Projects, Leaders in Training, Youth of the Year, Leadership Clubs

Individual Programs: Youth of the Year, Jr. Youth of the Year, Boys and Girls of the Month, AmeriCorps Club Service Program, Junior Staff

Small Group Programs: Torch Club (11-13 yrs), Keystone Club (14-18 yrs), Teen Advisory Council

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Education & Career Development
Homework assistance, Computer Labs & Technology Curriculum, Tutoring, College and Career Prep

Individual Programs: Power Hour Homework Assistance, Precision Castparts Corp. Scholarships (College and LaSalle High School), Stacia Goetze Memorial Scholarship (1-College)

Small Group Programs: OMSI Science Club, Leaders in Training (College & Career prep), Ultimate Journey Environmental Program, Literacy Center Programs

Health & Life Skills
Drug/Alcohol Prevention, Basic Safety Skills, Straight Talk for Teens, Girls Clubs, Nutrition & Health, Gang Resistance Training, Triple Play Programs

Small Group Programs: SMART Moves, Act SMART, SMART Girls, "Kids In Control" Program, G.R.E.A.T. Program

The Arts
Arts and Crafts, Music, Dance, Theatre, Pottery, Photography, Field Trips to Museums & Gardens

Individual Programs: Photography, Fine Arts, Pottery, Cooking

Large Group Programs: Art Museum Field Trips, Cultural Holiday Celebrations

Sports, Fitness & Recreation
Games Rooms, Gym Activities, Sports Leagues (basketball, soccer, and flag football), Tennis, Biking, Golf, Outdoor Environmental Experiences.

Small Group Programs: Triple Play Daily Fitness Challenges, Sports Clinics and Camps-Bicycling Program, Just-For-Girls Gym Time, Tennis, LPGA Jr. Golf

Large Group Programs: Sports Leagues: co-ed Flag Football, Basketball and Indoor Soccer Leagues, Baseball, Annual State Gamesroom Competition

It sounds like everyone is welcome to join and the membership is only $5.00. Maybe we ought to just drop in and see what it's like.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 06:21 pm
I'm amazed that out of A2K's vast membership that nobody has any experience with these clubs! That is kind of a red flag for me.

Still, I would love to find a place for Mo to make some friends. One thing that has come up in his therapy is his inability to sustain friendships.

I know that one of the reasons is his tendency to get physically aggressive -- that makes both parents and kids wary. It makes me wary.

An activity based social setting might be good.

...... Or not.....

I don't know. I'm lousy at this stuff myself.

I was really hoping for some feedback but sometimes there is just none to be had.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 06:26 pm
Yeah, sorry... no experience with it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 06:27 pm
My only experience with the group is through some really wonderful people I've known who worked with them. I'm sure it's not 100% consistent from city to city, but I know that I've got very positive feelings about the BGC system/programming.

The ones I've known staff for have primarily been located in the 'inner city' of various communities - but everybody was greatly welcomed to join.

The staff I knew had fairly solid counselling backgrounds (again that may be a peculiarity of the ones I've been exposed to), or were teaching grads waiting to get permanent school board positions.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 06:28 pm
Well, there was one a few blocks away from me in Venice, and I used to both give stuff to their thrift shop and buy items once in a while. They built a whole new center not many years ago.

I don't have children and don't know anything about how it runs day to day.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 07:18 pm
This is kind of a tricky subject to get into without sounding stereotypical- and I'm talking toward both ends of the socio-economic spectrum...but I'll try to be as honest as I can without actively trying to offend anyone...

I was very familiar with the Boys and Girls Club when I lived and worked in North Carolina- because alot of my students were involved and regarded it pretty much as a home away from home. I taught at the same school that my son attended, so my students knew my son, and he knew them and they became friends and they hung out at my house, and I was involved in their lives outside of school and pretty soon- my son was doing stuff at the Boys and Girls club too.

I thought it was great. But I got alot of flack from people who knew me and my children (even from other teachers who worked with me and these same kids- and had kids the same age- but who would NEVER have invited these kids into their homes or wanted their children to be friends with these kids). Why? I never really found out, because when they'd say things like, "Do you really think it's a good idea to encourage Joseph to become friends with someone like D." and I'd say, "Sure, he's a nice kid, why not?" They'd hem and haw and never answer directly. But I think it was because D. was poor and black- and not a scholar/athlete and didn't fit their picture of who someone like my son should or would be friends with.

I personally have always loved it when my kids interacted and became friends with people from backgrounds different from theirs or who had different abilities and/or challenges in their lives. I don't think there's any better preparation for life than for them to really be immersed in diversity, and learn to not only tolerate it, but to enjoy it and grow from it.

But I know that's kind of my thing- in fact- too much homogeneity makes me nervous- but other people may not be as enamored of stepping outside of their own comfort zone. Luckily my kids are accepting and adaptable and I think they've enjoyed it too. I do know that they have seen just about everything in terms of how each person's life might differ- they have friends who live in projects and friends who live in gated communities. Joseph and D. are best friends now-stilll after they've both graduated - they have alot in common on the inside than you'd ever guess from looking at their outsides.
Maybe you could volunteer at the Boy's and Girl's club and help make sure it was a good place for all the kids - including Mo.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 07:25 pm
aidan wrote:
This is kind of a tricky subject to get into without sounding stereotypical- and I'm talking toward both ends of the socio-economic spectrum...but I'll try to be as honest as I can without actively trying to offend anyone...

I was very familiar with the Boys and Girls Club when I lived and worked in North Carolina- because alot of my students were involved and regarded it pretty much as a home away from home. I taught at the same school that my son attended, so my students knew my son, and he knew them and they became friends and they hung out at my house, and I was involved in their lives outside of school and pretty soon- my son was doing stuff at the Boys and Girls club too.

I thought it was great. But I got alot of flack from people who knew me and my children (even from other teachers who worked with me and these same kids- and had kids the same age- but who would NEVER have invited these kids into their homes or wanted their children to be friends with these kids). Why? I never really found out, because when they'd say things like, "Do you really think it's a good idea to encourage Joseph to become friends with someone like D." and I'd say, "Sure, he's a nice kid, why not?" They'd hem and haw and never answer directly. But I think it was because D. was poor and black- and not a scholar/athlete and didn't fit their picture of who someone like my son should or would be friends with.

I personally have always loved it when my kids interacted and became friends with people from backgrounds different from theirs or who had different abilities and/or challenges in their lives. I don't think there's any better preparation for life than for them to really be immersed in diversity, and learn to not only tolerate it, but to enjoy it and grow from it.

But I know that's kind of my thing- in fact- too much homogeneity makes me nervous- but other people may not be as enamored of stepping outside of their own comfort zone. Luckily my kids are accepting and adaptable and I think they've enjoyed it too. I do know that they have seen just about everything in terms of how each person's life might differ- they have friends who live in projects and friends who live in gated communities. Joseph and D. are best friends now-stilll after they've both graduated - they have alot in common on the inside than you'd ever guess from looking at their outsides.
Maybe you could volunteer at the Boy's and Girl's club and help make sure it was a good place for all the kids - including Mo.

Nothing wrong with that post! I agree that diversity (in almost all ways) is a very good thing. Good for you.

Boomer, I know a few kids in school who use the B&G club after school hours. The program keeps them busy and their parents get to work full time day-jobs. I hear nothing bad about the one our school's kids use.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 08:06 pm
Thank you aiden! That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

I'm in the middle of cooking dinner so I will try to get back with comments in a bit.....
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 08:24 pm
The Boys and Girls Club is certainly not just for the disadvantaged -- certainly not around here, at least. I haven't read their charter, but they have a very good summer program around here that kids from all socioeconomic backgrounds can take advantage of.

I'd suggest you stop by and check it out for yourself.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 05:37 am
Yes, I'd bet that the situation probably would be different on the west coast than it was (and sadly probably still is) in the south.
Those who had the advantage of financial comfort and security in this town where I lived sent their children to private tennis/swim clubs or paid for them to be on premier/travel soccer teams and/or go to one of the myriad baseball or basketball camps that the local universities hosted at a thousand bucks a pop.
In terms of afterschool care, the three years we lived there and I was working, I sent my daughter to a farm, specially set up for childrens' afterschool (a bus picked her up at her school) where she could collect eggs and feed rabbits and horses, etc. (my own little dreamworld- luckily she liked it Laughing ).
What I'm saying is that in an affluent community, there are so many ways people can pay to insulate their children- that they tend to do that.
I did- and I didn't even see the irony in it until after I left.
I'm happy we had the opportunity to be a part of something that for us was different and very enriching- and didn't cost an arm and a leg.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 07:43 am
We live inner-city. In my city that means affluent. Many of his neighborhood friends not only belong to private clubs, they go to private schools.

One of the things Mr. B and I seriously discussed before moving to this neighborhood was how does one raise a child among the "haves" without him wanting to have everything too. We lead a pretty simple life. We want to keep it that way.

In our old neighborhood the kids were almost always outside and played a lot of pick-up, made-up, games. Here it is organized play dates. Mo misses just hanging out; wandering in someone's house or having kids wander into his. I miss it too. I know it's kind of lonely for him.

"Different and enriching" sounds good!

I think I'll stop by and get the low down while Mo is at school today.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 04:00 pm
Wow!! Color me impressed.

Mr. B swang by the house today to take me out to lunch and we ended up near the club so I suggested that we both check it out. It's pretty amazing. They have a game room, an art room, a music room, an everything room (where they do computer stuff, science stuff, all kinds of stuff), a huge gym and a literacy room that offers reading groups and tutoring. They even have a bus that goes there from Mo's school everyday.

When we left Mr. B says "So what does all that cost?"

Me: "$5.00"

Mr. B: "$5.00 a visit?"

Me: "$5.00 a year."

They also have things like martial arts classes, dance classes, sports teams, etc. for a small extra cost.

What a community resource!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 04:29 pm
I have no experience with these kind of clubs, but I think it's a good
idea. Heck if we had such a club close by, I'd send my kid there too.

Concerning different socio-economic background: this was one concern
we had, when Jane went to a private school in her elementary years, and
the discussions about designer clothes and whose parents have the bigger
car, became all too prominent. All the kids in her class had similar backgrounds and live in the same part of town, we live in.

When middle school started, she's switched to a charter school downtown, where it's much more diversified ethnically and socio-economically, and I have to say, she assimilated very quickly and all the talk about designer
clothes etc. almost has disappeared.

I like the fact that a blond German kid is sitting next to an African-American, a Filipino, a Mexican and my child in between.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 08:12 pm
I like that too, CJane.

Oregon is overwhelmingly white. Portland in particular is white. Our neighborhood is fairly mixed but most of the non-white kids are adopted. Crazy. Cool, in a way, but crazy.

I imagine the club is overwhelmingly white.

Mo is not very materialistic but I can certainly see how it could happen. I picked him up from school early the other day for an appointment at the same time a group of kids were leaving on a field trip. They were disappointed that their driver wasn't driving the Escalade that was parked in front of the school.

And.... errrr..... Mr. B drives an Escalade..... so ..... er.......

It's damn complicated!

Anyway......

Mo is very excited that we are going to let him join. I talked to his teacher today to see how the bus thing worked and she said that a couple of kids in his class were members of the club. She gave the club really high marks.

Mo had to sign the application too so I read him all the rules about how you have to behave and how if you don't behave they can revoke your membership. He was very serious as he listend and signed, swearing that he could behave in such a manner.

The only thing that gives me pause is the "B&G Club Code" which reads:

Quote:
I believe in God and the right to worship according to my own faith and religion.

I believe in America and the American way of life, in the Consitution and the Bill or Rights.

I believe in fair play, honesty and sportsmanship.

I believe in my B&G Club which stands for these things.

Mo doesn't know much about God, the Constitution or the Bill of Rights. He's 6, fercryingoutloud.

Anyway.....

They have a photograpy club at this location, maybe I'll volunteer!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 08:34 pm
That sounds wonderful, boomer. I also like that they make the kids
sign and agree to uphold the rules. That's a neat idea!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 07:46 am
boomerang wrote:
Mo is very excited that we are going to let him join. I talked to his teacher today to see how the bus thing worked and she said that a couple of kids in his class were members of the club. She gave the club really high marks.

Everything in that paragraph looks great!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 11:50 am
Great.

I like the idea that this is Mo's choice and Mo's doing.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 03:13 pm
I hope it turns out to be as "amazingly awsomely awesome" as he's building it up in his head to be.

I filed the application and paid the dues today but the first chance he will get to go will be this Friday. I'll report back!
0 Replies