A Ron Paul Victory - What Impact Would He Have?

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 08:15 pm
First I think an antiwar, antidefecit spending, proconstitution traditional republican could have easily won the republican nomination. You have 7 people fighting for the votes, six of them saying the same things, and I think atleast 30% of republicans fit into the traditional republican mold that Ron Paul embodies that a traditional small government republican could win a plurality.

The question is, can he come off as viable enough that he can still get that 30% of the republican party that fit the traditional republican ideals of nonintervention to vote for him.

And should he win the nomination and later the presidency, might he be the one guy who will assuredly get our national debt paid off?

In the house, he's frequently called Dr. No because he adamantly stands by his beliefs and votes against virtually every single spending bill except for the most crucially important one. As president, there's a very good chance that he will continue to stand by his beliefs and actually be the one and only candidate that will do what all the candidates assure us they will, veto every bill containing pork and every budget that is not balanced.

Congress can only build a 60 vote veto override consensus so often. They will be forced to abide by his penny pinching at some point. The point is, if you want a balanced budget, and possibly even a complete pay off of the debt in the near future, he is probably the one and only candidate on either side that can accomplish that.

So the question is, is paying off the debt worth the cost of the programs that will inevitably be defunded under a Ron Paul presidency?

I will have to grant this to Ron Paul, as crazy as his official positons sound, most of his actual votes in the house make sense! A lot more sense than votes of the front runners on either party! I encourage you to take a look at his actual voting record in the house before ruling him radical.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8BB3NrSpRGE - Watch Ron Paul Kick Fox News' Ass
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 791 • Replies: 1
No top replies

okie

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 09:45 pm
I agree with Ron Paul on a few things, such as balancing the budget, but he has no chance. If he had a personality with more leadership ability or charisma, it would help, but he has little. He doesn't inspire anything much in people. He comes across more or less as a pipsqueak that sounds like a whiner and a complainer, or a dissenter, rather than portraying a positive message of leadership. At least that is my impression of the man.

He is okay to have around in Congress, to provide a balance or counter opinion, perhaps to temper things a bit, but he is not presidential material.
0 Replies