Is there anything worse than death?

Mr Nice

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 03:43 am
vikorr wrote:
I imagine that having your eyes poked out, your eardrums burst, your tongue cut off, and your hands and feet cut off, then left to live...would be worse than death.

Wow... agree.
It would be worse that death.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 04:29 am
I doubt you would survive the trauma of such injuries, coupled with the sensory and ambulatory loss, for long. Besides, there are much better ways to cut of one's sense of reality and the world without ever using physical deformation.
For instance, prolonged imprisonment in an isolation cell, where a bright glaring light is programmed to shine for five or so minutes every two or three hours... at random. Sleep loss, loss of contact with outsiders, will slowlyturn such a person mad.
Even worse... becoming bedbound, or paralysed pretty much from the waist down... Comatose... And one of my worst fears, getting a brain tumor or a ruptured blood vessel, and loose (to an extent) the capability for rational thought.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 06:51 am
InfraBlue wrote:
I agree, it doesn't matter who cooked up these ideas. I was responding directly to your two assertions:

One, that we should always rate an outcome of death as worse than any other outcome for a person.

Two, that a person's death is worse than any other outcome for that person, including severe lifelong torture.

No, you've misunderstood me. Those are not my assertions. As I said at the beginning of this thread, I do not think that death is the worst thing that can happen to a person. The above assertions are how I interpreted what my classmate was saying.

agrote wrote:
I think he was saying that... we should always rate an outcome of death as worse than any other outcome for a person.

To be fair, I wasn't very clear about the last statement:

Quote:
So from an impersonal standpoint, a person's death is worse than any other outcome for that person, including severe lifelong torture.

To clarify, that sentence was a continuation of my exposition of my classmate's views, not my views. I should have said, "So in his view, from an impersonal standpoint a person's death..."

I do not currently agree with the two 'assertions' that you have quoted. If it seems as though I am defending them, that is because I am playing devil's advocate.

InfraBlue wrote:
Why should we always rate an outcome of death worse than any other outcome for a person? Why is a person's death worse than any other outcome for that person, including severe lifelong torture?

Good questions. I can't answer them, not even as the devil's advocate, because I can't think of any impersonal way of ordering personal events from better to worse that would make death universally worse than any other personal outcome. I have no idea what my classmate had in mind.

Quote:
If I understood your last paragraph correctly, you are saying that because we do not have objective accounts about the badness of death as opposed to say the badness of life long torture, we have to assume that death is the worse of the two?

You didn't understand my last paragraph correctly. Probably my fault. I think that there are objective accounts about the badness of death as opposed to, say, the badness of life long torture. I suspect that some utilitarians would rank those two events in some way, based on their desirability (however that is measured). So you're wrong to think that I am saying that we don't have any such accounts. Whether any such accounts are correct is another matter (I don't think that utilitarianism is a correct theory).

As I've probably made clear now, neither am I saying that we have to assume that death is worse than lifelong torture.

I have been speculating about whether there could be an objective account of the relative badness of death, like the utilitarian one, which would always rank death as worse than any other outcome for a person. I'm inclined to think that it would be very difficult to find any such account, and that even if we did, it probably wouldn't be a true account.

I'm afraid that we do not disagree nearly as much as you thought (if at all).
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 07:10 am
najmelliw wrote:
Objective better/worse relations can never exist, since labelling something as either better or worse requires a subjective judgment call.

Do you have an argument to support that assertion? Why should I accept it?

What kind of subjective judgement calls do you have in mind? Do you mean preferences? Is "I prefer A to B" really the only sense in which A could be better than B?

Couldn't A be better than B because it is more conducive to the 'greater good', or something like that?

When we say "oranges are better for you than chocolate bars", are we not making a claim about objective reality?

Quote:
Besides the opinion about the 'worseness'of death is quite meaningless, if it is not given by the person about to die. How can I judge how to rate another person's death?

Obviously you don't have access to this person's point of view. But surely the subvjective experience of death isn't the only aspect of it. And surely, if a person's death is bad at all, it can be bad from someone else's poitn of view, or from an intersubjective or even impersonal point of view?

Quote:
All we can say in general is probably that, generally speaking, people see death as an undesireable event which should be avoided for as long as possible. This, however, by no means indicates that 'death' is the worst state an individual can be in. That is for each individual to decide.
Else, no suicide would make sense.

Why do suicides need to make sense? Can't you irrationally kill yourself, mistakenly believing that it is the best thing for you?

Quote:
And any doctor commiting euthanasia, even with consent of the victim, would automatically be a murderer, and guilty of one of the worst crimes possible.

Well, some people (not me) do actually believe that.

Quote:
While I understand the value of thought experiments, I think it is quite meaningless regarding such an intensely personal experience as death.

The death of a person isn't just something that happens to her, though. Her husband loses a wife, her kids lose a mother, the world loses a person. Is it really meaningless to look at death from different points of view?
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 07:22 am
Dorothy Parker wrote:
The only thing I can think of worse than death is to watch my child die.

Suppose everybody you loved was held hostage, and you were forced at gunpoint to make one of two choices. As long as you make one of the two choices, you and your family will be set free. But if you refuse to make a choice, you will all be killed.

The first choice is: press button 1 and Mrs X will die.

The second choice is: press button 2 and Mrs X will see her child die.

Let's assume that the child will die whichever button you press, for some independent reason, so that the child's death will not be the fault of you or your kidnappers.

Let's also assume that you know nothing more about the situation. You don't know anything more about Mrs X or her child, or how they might die.

Which button would you press?
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 09:22 am
agrote wrote:
najmelliw wrote:
Objective better/worse relations can never exist, since labelling something as either better or worse requires a subjective judgment call.

Do you have an argument to support that assertion? Why should I accept it?

What kind of subjective judgement calls do you have in mind? Do you mean preferences? Is "I prefer A to B" really the only sense in which A could be better than B?

Couldn't A be better than B because it is more conducive to the 'greater good', or something like that?

When we say "oranges are better for you than chocolate bars", are we not making a claim about objective reality?
[\quote]

It's not an assertion, at least not in my opinion. The moment you use a better/worse clause, you are, in effect, using a judgment call. You decide, based upon your own opinion or the opinion of someone else, what to deem the better option of two choices. And (let's not even delve in the complication of objective decisions), since you use a person's opinion (or many different person's opinions), it is a subjective call.
Preferences are subjective as well.

The 'Greater good' is such a vague term it might as well be meaningless.
As for your oranges, chocolate bar example... 1) This is not an objective claim, in so far that this is based upon the research and the opinions of a (group of) scientist(s). Further on, The example is poorly chosen. In situations where lots of easily digested energy rich foodstuffs are needed, chocolate might be preferred indeed.

I have no problem with bett/worse claims in themselves, don't get me wrong. I just feel that it's wrong to label them as objective, because their very nature is subjective.

agrote wrote:
Quote:
Besides the opinion about the 'worseness'of death is quite meaningless, if it is not given by the person about to die. How can I judge how to rate another person's death?

Obviously you don't have access to this person's point of view. But surely the subvjective experience of death isn't the only aspect of it. And surely, if a person's death is bad at all, it can be bad from someone else's poitn of view, or from an intersubjective or even impersonal point of view?

For who, I ask you, is the impending death of person X more relevant. For you, an impartial bystander? For the family members? Or for person X self? I daresay for the latter. By a substantial amount too. No, I don't mean to belittle the grief of family and friends, but the moment of death, and the experience of it, seems a very personal moment to me.
Of course a person's death can be found bad by other persons, even by impartial ones. But that is not at all the same as stating it is the worst thing that can happen to a person. What the worst thing is that can happen to any given person, is, frankly enough, for that person alone to decide. I doubt we will see eye to eye on this though. At least agree with me that no one should be able to make that decision for them!

agrote wrote:
Quote:
All we can say in general is probably that, generally speaking, people see death as an undesireable event which should be avoided for as long as possible. This, however, by no means indicates that 'death' is the worst state an individual can be in. That is for each individual to decide.
Else, no suicide would make sense.

Why do suicides need to make sense? Can't you irrationally kill yourself, mistakenly believing that it is the best thing for you?
[\quote]

Sure you can. But that does not mean all suicides are irrational. Some are spur of the moment. Some may be well thought out. Some may be for the wrong reasons. Some not. Some may be to avoid a worse fate (Hitler in his bunker comes to mind).

agrote wrote:
Quote:
And any doctor commiting euthanasia, even with consent of the victim, would automatically be a murderer, and guilty of one of the worst crimes possible.

Well, some people (not me) do actually believe that.

It would be the unavoidable result if your friend has the right of it with 'a person's death is the worst thing that can happen to him/her'. This is another discussion though, and we should try to remain on topic.

agrote wrote:
Quote:
While I understand the value of thought experiments, I think it is quite meaningless regarding such an intensely personal experience as death.

The death of a person isn't just something that happens to her, though. Her husband loses a wife, her kids lose a mother, the world loses a person. Is it really meaningless to look at death from different points of view?

I perceive a tendency to subtly misread statements made and then make reasonable objections. I was talking about thought experiments. You then compare this to real life loss, and the way family/friends perceive it. Of course its not meaningless for them! It's not meaningless at all to look at death from a different point of view.

Please recall that the original 'thought experiment' was : Would death be the worst scenario for a person? The way it is phrased, this death is inexorably tied to a single person, and does not take into account hypothetical family/friends/followers/fans/enemies or anybody else.
It is meaningless to try and place a value on the death of a person from that persons perspective. This statement is a re-iteration of what I mentioned previously.
If you want to change the parameters of your little experiment (which you are free to do), then by all means, create another one.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 02:24 pm
agrote wrote:
Dorothy Parker wrote:
The only thing I can think of worse than death is to watch my child die.

Suppose everybody you loved was held hostage, and you were forced at gunpoint to make one of two choices.
As long as you make one of the two choices, you and your family will be set free.
But if you refuse to make a choice, you will all be killed.

The first choice is: press button 1 and Mrs X will die.

The second choice is: press button 2 and Mrs X will see her child die.

Let's assume that the child will die whichever button you press,
for some independent reason, so that the child's death will not be the fault of you or your kidnappers.

Let's also assume that you know nothing more about the situation.
You don't know anything more about Mrs X or her child, or how they might die.

Which button would you press?

WoW !
This construction is certainly the very finest
that I have ever seen on this forum
for demonstrating the logic of the situation.
Its truly brilliant ! Kudos !

For my part, I 'd yield to the logic of the situation
and ( for purposes of self defense ) push button 2.

After that I 'd consider vengeance against the kidnappers.

David

The moral of the story shud be
that all of the kidnap victims shud have been personally armed
well enuf to kill the kidnappers, when the need presented itself.
0 Replies

Mr Phil

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 03:15 pm
Edgarblythe included it in that nice poem: a living death, one in which either loss or sorrow (or both) consume the individual that finds suicide irrational. Crying or Very sad

Indeed the snowball effect has turned many great minds (and not only those in libraries) to self-destruction. Life-long self pity, impatience, and denial of accepting "what is" would create this torture.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 05:03 pm
agrote wrote:
I do not currently agree with the two 'assertions' that you have quoted. If it seems as though I am defending them, that is because I am playing devil's advocate.

Understood.

Quote:
Good questions. I can't answer them, not even as the devil's advocate, because I can't think of any impersonal way of ordering personal events from better to worse that would make death universally worse than any other personal outcome. I have no idea what my classmate had in mind.

Fair enough.

Quote:
I think that there are objective accounts about the badness of death as opposed to, say, the badness of life long torture.

So then, what do you think are the objective accounts about the badness of death as opposed to, say, the badness of life long torture?

Quote:
I have been speculating about whether there could be an objective account of the relative badness of death, like the utilitarian one, which would always rank death as worse than any other outcome for a person. I'm inclined to think that it would be very difficult to find any such account, and that even if we did, it probably wouldn't be a true account.

You know that the utilitarian account of the badness of death would be to always rank death as worse than any other outcome for a person; do you know why it comes to this conclusion?

Quote:
I'm afraid that we do not disagree nearly as much as you thought (if at all).

Insofar as you assert that we do not have to assume that death is worse than lifelong torture, I agree.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 06:25 pm
People who have lived thru death
have described it as very pleasant,
and resented being revived; came back complaining of interference.
www.IANDS.org
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 07:38 pm
If our fear of death is really fear of loss (e.g., of loved ones, pleasures, property, self) suicide may be seen as a "getting rid" of something bad (e.g., loneliness, poverty, pain, a despised self) and in that sense it may be considered a rational action.

Remember Nietzsche assertion that while it is cruel to take a man's life, it is worse to deprive him of his death.

Is it rational to make suicide a capital offense?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 09:09 pm
No
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 11:11 pm
Very Happy Do you often answer rhetorical questions?
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 03:56 am
JLNobody wrote:
Very Happy Do you often answer rhetorical questions?

Yes Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 04:19 am
Deepak Chopra, M.D. asserts that we consider ourselves
to be human beings with occasional spiritual experiences,
but that we are actually spiritual beings, with occasional human experiences.
David
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 02:28 pm
Deepak Chopra, Wayne Dwyer, and that ilk are professional bullshitters. In their psuedo-mystical cottage industries these "gurus" pack their books and lectures with seductive half-truths, making them sound like they are giving out wisdom and the way to "freedom." They do for our spirititual life what Suzi Ormand professes to do for our bank accounts. Nothing.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 10:39 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Deepak Chopra, Wayne Dwyer, and that ilk are professional bullshitters.
In their psuedo-mystical cottage industries these "gurus" pack their books and lectures with seductive half-truths,

Is there some specific errror to which u will refer our attention ?

Quote:
making them sound like they are giving out wisdom
and the way to "freedom."

Freedom from what ?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 03:04 pm
Well, I can only say that I've been studying the literature of mysticism and practicing meditation for more than thirty years, and while I do not claim any special expertise on the basis of this, it HAS given me a perspective from which to evaluate their "bullshit." What they give are stimulating promises without offering the necessary practices for fulfilling such promises. And it's my impression that their followers like it that way. They do not really want to give up the attachments and perform the daily meditations needed for liberation.
By "liberation" I'm referring to freedom from the "attachments" that keep us in a continuous state of delusion about our true nature and that of the nature of our life exepriences.

Amen
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 03:20 pm
The absurd vanity is the metaphysicians who like to imagine that they
create the world by thinking about it. Deepak Chopra is of this ilk and should be remanded to Sedona Arizona until the year 3,000 A.D.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 03:28 pm
Indeed, Dys. Chopra belongs within one of Sedona's vortexes.
0 Replies