Car Insurance in New Brunswick

Montana

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 05:19 am
My son just got his learners permit a few weeks ago. Boy, how fast our children grow. Well, I called my insurance agent to find out how much it would cost for my son to insure a car when he buys his own and I almost fell off my chair when he quoted me atleast $3000 bare minimum!!!!! Looks like my son will be driving my car for a long, long time and even then it's going to cost $800 more to insure him on my car Sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,763 • Replies: 15
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 07:32 am
Lawzee! Is there, like, lots of traffic in New Brunswick, or what.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 07:34 am
The insurance companies claim it's because of the overwhelming amounts of law suits.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 07:40 am
These rates are for new drivers and the thing that bugs me the most is that boys pay double to what girls do. That's just not right!

My insurance rates are reasonable because I have a spotless record and have been driving for 24 years, but these kids just starting out don't stand a chance in buying their own car :-(
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 07:43 am
Humpf! Sounds like your insurance companies are overdue a good, thourough audit. Now, I'm kind of a free trade person, but when a government requires insurance, it becomes the government's responsibility to insure fairness. Doesn't it?

Good morningm Montana.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 07:58 am
Good Morning to you Roger :-)

The government is actually taking a stand on the issue this year and is forcing them to go down some, but they're talking 10% to 20% which is hardly enough.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 02:32 pm
lemme tell you about those lawsuits someday. it's something i know a bit about.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 03:07 pm
If they justify a $3000.00 premium, I know where I'm having my next accident!

Oh, wait, the payout is in Canadian dollars, huh? Forget about it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 05:22 pm
Roger, are you familiar with the Michigan level of no-fault benefits? The benefits in many Canadian provinces are similar. The lawsuits are on top of that. New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Ontario are grappling with the effects of U.S.-style litigation entering our markets.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 05:52 pm
No I'm not, and I was just kidding. I wouldn't really drive to Canada just to have a car wreck.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 05:57 pm
The fraud rings for faking accidents in no-fault jurisdictions are as bad as they are in New Jersey and New York. They just cracked a huge one in New Jersey. Those rings seriously run up the cost of premiums for the rest of us.

Montana, the longer you wait to add your son to your coverage, the higher his initial premium will likely be. It varies a bit from province to province, but generally, adding him now will decrease his costs in the long run. A lot of people around here don't let their kids drive their cars until the kids can afford to pay the additional premium cost of adding them to the policy. It's certainly one way of making the new driver aware of some of the costs.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 06:00 pm
this was in the NYTimes about a week ago, about a New York gang :

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/13/nyregion/13INSU.html?ex=1061352000&en=ed14ac713245a2fd&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 06:04 pm
soooooo, roger - people really do come here to have accidents. it's a big reality in my job. a big part of almost every work day for me.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 05:43 am
Wow! Beth, I didn't think it was that bad. I didn't realize that it was a huge crime ring. I think it's terrible that we all have to suffer because of other people's greed. My son only has his permit right now, so he doesn't need to be insured until next year when he gets his license. It sure makes things hard for a responsible young person to try and get ahead in life :-(
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 11:32 am
I was at a meeting this morning, about some new legislation we're going to try in this province to see if we can make a dent in the rings. Right now it just sounds like more paperwork for me. : (
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 07:14 pm
Hang in there Beth ;-)
0 Replies