Ideas for mini-stuff

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 09:05 am
Sozlet's having a Webkinz-themed birthday party in a bit. I decided to go with that partly because, while the critters are VERY popular, they haven't made their way to themed/ licensed birthday stuff yet. (Like Dora or Spongebob or whatever.) I'm doing pretty much everything from scratch.

One thing I'm going to be doing is having a table set up for the Webkinz to "eat" at -- it will have small plates, small cups, small silverware maybe if I find it super-cheap somewhere, and probably Sculpey food that we make (there are species-specific foods on Webkinz World, like Flounder Flan for cats).

I found the cups -- plastic shot glasses that are about the right size, super cheap. I'm having a harder time with plates, though. When I look up doll stuff it's all way too expensive. (11 kids are getting invitations, and they're invited to bring their own Webkinz, which could easily get up into 50-75 place settings).

I also want to find just cool little things that are Webkinz-sized to sell at the W-Shop I'll have at the party. As an example, I found some cheap gold-toned napkin rings that will make dandy crowns. (I'll add an elastic chin strap.)

I'm going through the 871 results for "mini" at Oriental Trading Co as we speak, and coming up with some stuff.

What I would really like to do though is figure out more stuff like the crowns, cheap things that could be put to a different use -- for example, I looked for cheap plastic coasters to be plates (that didn't really yield fruit, though). If need be I can just cut out plates from thickish paper.

Any ideas? (Not just plates, general cheap + small + cool stuff.)

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,181 • Replies: 13
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 09:23 am
I have no idea what Webkinz are but I'm pretty good at making this into that.

Thimbles for cups?

This is really just a bookmark while i browse around through my assorted something from nothing crap.....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 09:27 am
Cups are covered.

Webkinz are a little bit bigger than thimble-sized.

Here's a kid with her Webkinz, to give an idea:

http://media.canada.com/cfe7ac49-e090-4323-a853-83766709cd57/webkinz_cw_041307.jpg

(A kid, not my kid.)

As another "that'll work!" find, there were some little mesh butterflies on sale at Oriental Trading, $3/ dozen. Those will make dandy fairy wings. I already planned on making tutus.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 09:30 am
The perspective is a bit weird there, this might give a better idea of scale:

http://blog.nj.com/gloucester/large_032307%20Webkinz.jpg

Looking forward to what you can come up with!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 09:32 am
Craft foam could work well for plates, too... (that thin foam that you buy by the sheet).
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 09:36 am
Oh I see - they're stuffed animals and you want things to dress them up!

What about old CDs for plates? You could put a little sticker over the hole.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 09:41 am
That could work. A little bit on the big side, but could work. Where would you suggest I get the old CD's...? (We don't have that many and they're all in use.)

That reminds me though (smacks forehead) (I knew opening this thread would help!!!), when sozlet had her first tea party (when she turned 4, I think), I went to Goodwill and got an entire, matching, tea set (girl-sized) for like .25 a piece. I bet I could get together a bunch of saucers or something there.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 09:45 am
...and just "saucers" worked, too, as a search item!

These would so work:

http://image.orientaltrading.com/otcimg/39_49.jpg

72 for $8 -- and they can take 'em home in their goodie bags, too! (Flip 'em over to use 'em as plates, then toss 'em around when done.) 3.5", that's about perfect.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 09:49 am
CDs are cheep - you can buy a stack of 100 for next to nothing at Big Lots and the like.

But your saucers are better!

If you hit the stores now you might be able to get some of that Halloween neon jewelry for dirt cheep.

What about mardi-gras type beads. They're usually inexpensive.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 09:59 am
Good idea!

I also got mini pirate swords, and will make eye patches and bandanas.

And top hats -- will make bow ties and maybe a vest to go with that.

Will make veils/ white tutus.

And the colored tutus and wings.

Some velvet cloaks to go with the crowns.

Also Santa hats! (It'll be right after Thanksgiving.) I have that all set (I had red velvet already, bought white pompoms for the top and fluffy white yarn-stuff for the edge).

That's looking good for dress-up.

Saucers and cups (also primary colors, which is also a big Webkinz theme, score).

Here's the site if you haven't seen it:

www.webkinz.com

You buy the stuffed animals; they come with a code that allows you to access the website. We'll be doing a lot of stuff that replicates what you do on the website. (You can "buy" clothes there, etc.) I'd already planned on making some real clothes for the real stuffed animals when they started coming out with real clothes for Webkinz -- that's brand-new and hard to find still, so I think the kids will be excited about that.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 10:04 am
Oh and I'll "serve" these little gummy tacos (also good for goodie bags):

http://image.orientaltrading.com/otcimg/5_676.jpg

On to more something-from-nothing...

Might make Webkinz-sized beds. Foam, cardboard boxes? Have both of those, plus plenty of fabric I can use.

(The W-Shop is the online store, which carries pretty much everything you can imagine. Food, furniture, books, games, etc., etc. I'd want to replicate some of it to "sell" along with the outfits. They will be "earning" money to use to buy stuff at the W-shop by playing various games.)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 10:12 am
Oh that gummy food! They make everything like that now. Mo went to a birthday party where the pinata was filled with every kind of gummy food I could imagine. Amazing!

Do you remember pop beads? They're little beads that pop together without needing a string or tools or anything else. You could have pop beads at your store and the kids could put them together as a craft progect.

eBay lists a lot of them for pretty cheap:

http://search.ebay.com/pop-beads_W0QQcrlpZ816016054Q5f9414QQflocZ1QQfnuZ1QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ3QQkeywordZpopQ20beadsQQsaslcZ1
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 12:19 pm
Those are cool!

A totally separate question but it's party-related and I can't seem to decide...

The party is going to be from 2:30 PM to 4:30 PM. I will be serving cake/ ice cream etc. I can't decide whether I should serve pizza. It's an awkward time for pizza, but kids seem to be constantly hungry anyway, and...

I dunno.

I'm thinking no.

(I have to get out the invitations and want to say there whether food will be served -- I appreciate that when other people do it.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 02:46 pm
What about Alpenstocks (straws)? Superbeast capes?

Origami pets (folded from fancy paper)?

As for refreshments, what about an assortment of finger food--think semi-exotic canapes rather than kiddie food.
0 Replies