How can you believe the earth is less than 10,000 years old?

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 02:04 pm
What about god age? I've always heard that god is older than dirt.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 02:06 pm
Setanta wrote:
What about god age? I've always heard that god is older than dirt.

I have heard that God is ageless.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 02:08 pm
Yeah, right . . . when you're god, it ain't like cosmetic surgery is gonna strain your budget . . .
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 02:39 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
I have a question.

How many years is young?

Real Life, please answer.

Joe(one clear answer, just this one time.)Nation

The answer to that is I don't know how old it is. (Neither do you.)

But I tend to favor thousands rather than millions or billions.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 02:55 pm
Real Life,

How many light years in a minute?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 03:02 pm
Sglass,

Are you trying to formulate an argument against apparent age?

For instance, if God created a man that 'appeared to be' 30 years old, does that mean that the man MUST BE 30 years old?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 03:21 pm
real life wrote:
I tend to favor thousands rather than millions or billions.
of what? grains of sand? Days? Miles?
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 03:24 pm
Oh,

I see that's like if God invented an apple (that is, if he existed) it has to have an Adam? That's a new age nonsequetor.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 06:13 pm
Sglass wrote:
Now I understand that Mr. Famerman is a geologist and teacher. So that tells me that what he brings to the plate has a lot of credibility.

Now out of pure and unadulterated nosiness, what do the rest of you gentlemen, and I say that with total respect, bring to the plate in terms of an academic and professional agenda.

Claims of credentials aren't of much use on an anonymous forum.

Ultimately, we are what we post. Even if the person doing the posting misrepresents their own position, the posts themselves create a persona which tends to be consistent.

In order to know the credibility of the poster, or the veracity of the claim, you need to have read some of the person's previous posts and created your own opinion.

In the real world, "Actions speak louder than words", but here, "Posts speak louder than claims". Smile
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 06:34 pm
and training and experience in one area does not confer any knowledge in others. I get PM questions on everything from geo to genetics and try to answer those areas that I feel competent. SInce Ive taken the time to fill out my own profile I see that others arent so forthcoming. I always conjur up pictures of those posting , and their prime areas of expertise, be it carpentry or chemistry. I find the most preposterous presumptions from those who remain "profile-less"
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 06:43 pm
RL
Quote:

Tending to "favor" means a basis of this POV. EVidence for your POV is sorely lacking and all evidence refutes this POV (unless you can personally take on many thousands of discoveries that evidence a very old earth.)

Do you know how long it takes limestone to form, harden, deform, erode, get overdeposited by new sediments that also must harden then everything gets deformed again and again, then eroded and over deposited again at least 4 times? This is the history of just the Appalachian forelands
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 07:00 pm
Credentials....ok.

I am a graduate of Bumpkin U, I majored in Hick, I minored in Redneck/yokel, I also studied "Drawl" for two semesters...being that I am a walking diphthong...the class was a breeze. I am a 7th degree black belt in Asswhoopin, my speciality is bar-fighting, but I am also proficient in parking lot brawls...since my fists are the size of most peoples heads....this hobby was a given.

The world is very, very, very,....very, very old.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 07:14 pm
farmerman wrote:
RL
Quote:

Tending to "favor" means a basis of this POV. EVidence for your POV is sorely lacking and all evidence refutes this POV (unless you can personally take on many thousands of discoveries that evidence a very old earth.)

I agree. RL is obviously a YEC, even though he starts squirming in his seat every time he tries to say it.

For a believer like RL, it's surprising that he would shy away from admitting his belief, rather than simply embracing it hook, line, and poofism.

So far, he's the only YEC to step forward, even though he's keeping one foot in the closet in case he has to retreat to the shadows again.

The question of this thread is "How can you believe...?". RL still hasn't told us the core of "how he can believe" the earth is anywhere near that old. All he does is pluck rotten-science nuggets from creationist web sites and fling them around. Is he really fooled by the stuff he reads? Or is he simply a bible literalist who doesn't give a **** about what science says, or does he think there's a conspiracy in science to hide the true age of the earth? I'm guessing it's a bit of all that.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 07:33 pm
real life wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:
I have a question.

How many years is young?

Real Life, please answer.

Joe(one clear answer, just this one time.)Nation

At the risk of sounding like a five year old, why? Why do you tend to favor thousands?

And if thousands, how many of those?

Joe(10? There were domesticated cats 10,000 years old ago.)Nation
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 06:51 am
rosborne979 wrote:
The question of this thread is "How can you believe...?". RL still hasn't told us the core of "how he can believe" the earth is anywhere near that old. All he does is pluck rotten-science nuggets from creationist web sites and fling them around.

This is par for the course--that is his customary MO. He will evade or flatly ignore any attempt to pin him down. He's not interested in holding up his goofy beliefs to the ridicule they deserve, so he simply casts doubts on science. Time and again anyone can ask him directly--Dog knows i do it all the time--to address the topic of the thread, such as Wilso's "Don't tell me there's any proof for creationism" thread--and he will simply ignore the question, or disappear for a few days, and show back up when the topics being discussed are less direct.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 07:05 am
I wanna have two-packs on my side if the argument gets physical.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 09:54 am
If you guys hold him down, I will push his bible belt buttons for you.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 01:40 pm
Waiting, in vain, for Real to give evidence to support thousands over millions or billions.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 03:08 pm
It won't be coming.

Of course, there are other arguments that could be made "God created the earth 6,000 years ago, but would he have created an 'old' earth, or a 'new' one...'new' would mean it being full of volcanoes etc...so naturally, he created an old earth in 6 days'

Or "God spead up the evolutionary process"

Or "The Genesis story is a story, not a literal interpretation" (although I know that goes outside the scope of this thread)

Or a combination : God guided the evolutionary process

By the way for those that are curious, If I remember right, the 6000 years is derived because there is an unbroken line of geneology (including ages) from Adam & Eve until the Genesis story. The geneology is recorded in Numbers.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 12:48 am
Too bad the usual suspects are unavailable for familial DNA testing
0 Replies