How can you believe the earth is less than 10,000 years old?

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 03:54 am
I'm confused too.

What does RL mean by mitochondrial Eve and MRCA? What about them? How do they disprove an old Earth age of 4.54 billion years?

Are you talking about that AIG article about mitochondrial Eve having lived later on (as in, not as long ago) than we originally thought? That doesn't prove the age of the Earth is younger than we think, only that human beings as a species are younger than we think.

Same goes for MRCA.

As for faint young sun paradox, firstly it's not a paradox (it's a problem) and secondly:
http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CE/CE311.html

Come back when you've got an argument that hasn't been debunked soundly, RL. That's why Evolutionary scientists absolutely hate Creationists. They never come up with arguments that haven't been debunked or aren't completely illogical.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 05:21 am
The creationists or id trick is always the same. Where there is something unexplained or controversial within science, they jump in point out there are no satisifactory answers (yet) and offer that as proof God created the world 6000 years ago. Notice RL poses the questions then backs off. He's hoping to pit one against the other on the rationalist side.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 05:24 am
I first noticed his style of posting perpetuated by a fundamentalist of the name, Carico. She liked to do drive-by postings. In her little mind, she was always right and could never be proved wrong, because she never saw the rebuttals.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 05:27 am
This thread is either hilarious or frightening, I can't quite make my mind up as to what fits the bill.

There are people out there actually trying to defend the stance that the earth is only 10,000 years old? Seriously?

I've come down on the side of frightening.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 05:29 am
As a point that particularly annoys RL is his inability to provide any evidence that supports his claims, and that science has overlapping evidence of every point weve evr discussed (with the notable exception of the mysterious origin of :dawn bats"(EoChiroptera)
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 05:52 am
Doowop wrote:
This thread is either hilarious or frightening, I can't quite make my mind up as to what fits the bill.

There are people out there actually trying to defend the stance that the earth is only 10,000 years old? Seriously?
I initially shared your surprise. Then I thought there is no point discussing it. Now I think its a concerted attempt by certain influential and well placed people, particularly in America but increasingly over here to de-educate people to form a more compliant faith based population. The Marxists said religion is the opiate of the people. The neo-cons say religion is the opiate of the people, thank God!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 06:16 am
farmerman wrote:
As a point that particularly annoys RL is his inability to provide any evidence that supports his claims, and that science has overlapping evidence of every point weve evr discussed (with the notable exception of the mysterious origin of :dawn bats"(EoChiroptera)

That Bat Thread was fun while it lasted Smile
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 06:40 am
It wouldn't be too bad if the young earth nutters kept it in Kansas but it's trying to get out and spread around the world. Luckily it hasn't taken root here yet but many of us stand guard, waiting for it it to sprout.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 10:19 am
farmerman wrote:
DE NOVO EMPLACEMENT OF C14 IN COAL HS BEEN STUDIED TO DEATH AND 2 MODES OF EMPLACEMENT ARE PROVEN
1THE BREAKDOWN OF U/Th , A COMMON GROUPING IN ANCIENT COALS, WILL YIELD AN AMT OF ABOUT 10-10 pIc/l .wE ARE PRESENTLY LOOKING FOR NATURAL BUFFERS FOR NEUTRINO DETECTIONS IN WHICH THE C 14 IS AT 10-22 pIC/L OR LESS.

2 COAL IS LOADED WITH IRON PYRITE AND IRON PYRITE IS QUICKLY BROKEN DOWN INTO FeSO4 BT THIOBACILLI. tHE THIOBACILLI ARE A CARBON BASED LIFE-FORM

Do you postulate the same mechanisms for C14 in diamonds, farmerman?

btw Why are you shoutng? We ain't deef, sonny. Laughing
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 11:12 am
Re: How can you believe the earth is less than 10,000 years
kickycan wrote:
real life wrote:
kickycan wrote:
This is for the so-called "young earth" creationists. I suspect that Real Life subscribes to this idea, but if there are any others on this board, I would like to ask you too. So here it is. I'd like to know how, with all the fossils, geologic data, and scientific evidence out there, you can possibly believe that the earth is less than 10,000 years old?

Thanks.

Why would you 'suspect' such a thing, when I've stately clearly that I do consider the earth to be young?

I'm sorry, but I don't read everyone of your posts. I thought I'd seen you say that somewhere, but when I wrote this thread I wasn't sure. Plus, you frequently say things in an ambiguous way. So I only suspected.

Less than four hours before you began this thread, you had responded to an exchange between ros and I where I discussed this very thing.

real life wrote:
kickycan wrote:
Is it just so you can appear clever?

Why would you ask me that? Is it just so you can appear to be a ....

Grow up, kicky.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 11:46 am
Poor Kicky, are you getting picked on.

I have a few questions of my own that perhaps don't fit in with the current primordial mudslinging.

Now I understand that Mr. Famerman is a geologist and teacher. So that tells me that what he brings to the plate has a lot of credibility.

Now out of pure and unadulterated nosiness, what do the rest of you gentlemen, and I say that with total respect, bring to the plate in terms of an academic and professional agenda.

Opinions or facts.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 11:54 am
I'll bring the potato salad.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 11:57 am
I'll pick up a couple of bottles on my way over to go with my omniverous appetite for reading.

Joe(Oh, and some hard rolls)Nation
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 11:57 am
I'll be there with my nacho cheese and a defibrillator.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 11:58 am
goodfielder wrote:
It wouldn't be too bad if the young earth nutters kept it in Kansas but it's trying to get out and spread around the world. Luckily it hasn't taken root here yet but many of us stand guard, waiting for it it to sprout.

I hate to disillusion you, but the Creationists in the United States lean heavily on an Australian geologist who comes out with the most egregious crapola about relative geological ages--except, of course, when he is being paid to be a geologist. Check out Andrew Snelling some time, PhD in geology from the University of Sidney.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 01:22 pm
real life wrote:
Grow up, kicky.

No thanks. It might make me look a smarmy prick.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 01:32 pm
real life wrote:
kickycan wrote:
real life wrote:
kickycan wrote:
This is for the so-called "young earth" creationists. I suspect that Real Life subscribes to this idea, but if there are any others on this board, I would like to ask you too. So here it is. I'd like to know how, with all the fossils, geologic data, and scientific evidence out there, you can possibly believe that the earth is less than 10,000 years old?

Thanks.

Why would you 'suspect' such a thing, when I've stately clearly that I do consider the earth to be young?

I'm sorry, but I don't read everyone of your posts. I thought I'd seen you say that somewhere, but when I wrote this thread I wasn't sure. Plus, you frequently say things in an ambiguous way. So I only suspected.

Less than four hours before you began this thread, you had responded to an exchange between ros and I where I discussed this very thing.

Yes, but you didn't actually say that you believed the earth to be less than 10,000 years old, you just said you believed the earth to be young. So I, in an effort not to embarrass you by assuming that you did believe such a ludicrous idiotic idea, gave you the benefit of the doubt.

But now I see that you actually DO believe this idiocy.

So please carry on. In all honesty, your beliefs are fascinating.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 01:34 pm
Sglass wrote:
Poor Kicky, are you getting picked on.

Who, me? Where? Who is picking on me? I'll tear 'em limb from limb, I will! I'll tar and feather the bastards! Who is it!? Just point me in the direction of the ornery varmints!!!!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 01:53 pm
I have a question.

How many years is young?

Real Life, please answer.

Joe(one clear answer, just this one time.)Nation
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 02:02 pm
I'm still trying to figure out the overall time periods. Does anybody really believe that people lived to 800 or 900 years of age? I personally don't have a problem with creation if the timelines are ignored.

I believe that there is a difference in earth age and man age.
0 Replies