On your phone? You're on your own.

Chai

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 05:00 pm
Yeah, like others, I have a cell phone.

It came in real handy when I had a tire blow out on the interstate. It kept me from having to walk a mile in August along a highway where everyone was doing at least 70, many going much faster than that. Also, for convenence sake, it is nice to be able to make a quick call to some to remind you what it was they wanted at the store (we can't all remember to write Everything down) When I say quick, I mean 30 seconds. Saves another trip out for that one item.

I think cell phone (for those who are constantly on them) has really hurt the art of conversation.
Whatever happened to "oh, I can't wait to get home to give everyone the good news (or tell this story to)"

Funny though, all the threads with cell phone and lack of manners, useless conversations, etc. never brings anyone into the conversation to say they use their phone all the time....and why.

I don't think they know why.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 03:27 am
Two people on the cellphones yesterday at Starbucks trying to put milk in their coffee while talking. Getting the lid off of a Starbucks Grande in difficult enough with two hands, watching them both try with one hand was kind of fun.

The man ended up putting his phone down long enough to take the lid off.

The woman tucked the phone under her chin and proceeded to say "Waitaminute waitaminute waitaminute" while she poured the 2% out of the container.

Then they both put the lids back on one-handed which is tricky. Neither re-tightened the lids on the milk.

Joe(Why should they? They've got theirs)Nation
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 03:47 am
Chai- I was once in a mall with my son. We were not interested in the same stores. I told him that I would call him when I was through with my shopping, and would meet him in the place where we had decided. That worked very well.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 05:17 am
Laughing

In places like Target, we tend to wander far from each other.

In years past, I've had to wander around 20 minutes, looking down every aisle, to find him so we could go....He'd be doing the same thing. Great waste of time.

Now...."What's your 20?"

"Housewares, aisle 12"

Over.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 05:23 am
Actually, I often use my cellphone for long chatty calls at home, when the other person is out of town. My plan has rollover minutes, and over time, I have accumulated more minutes that I will ever use. Even though they expire after a year, I still have more than enough.

When a friend or relative calls me long distance, I call them back immediately on my cellphone. Why should they pay for a long distance call, when I have all the minutes that I need?
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 05:25 am
You can go on ur phone if you want.

If I was standing in a cue waiting to get served and you went to the next person after me id' go mental. Customers don't have to talk to you so why exclude them just because they are on their phone?

Hardly anyone talks to me when I get served so I don't see the problem.

I agree with not using the phone when driving, it is against the law in Scotland as is smoking in a business verhicle. It causes accidents.

Unfortunantly the mobile is such an important part of communication these days. The problem is there is no sense of community these days. Everyone is too personalised!!!! hate it!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 05:32 am
Chai wrote:
It came in real handy when I had a tire blow out on the interstate.

I had a blowout, not on an interstate, but in the middle of a new development on a weekend. I don't know how far I would have had to walk before I would have found a phone. The cellphone was a lifesaver.

Oh, BTW, does everybody know about I.C.E.? (In case of emergency). Program your emergency number in your phone under ICE. Most police and rescue squads know about this, and will check your phone if you are unable to talk to them.

(How would they know that Oswald is your husband???)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_case_of_emergency
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 07:36 am
I do not have a cell phone. Mostly, in the places I really could use one, like for emergencies or to order parts/material for tomorrow there is no coverage.

Besides they're expensive. The batteries wear out. and they keep changing the damn frequencies, analogue, digital, some new shite i cant remember, every time they roll out a new frequency you have to ante up 3 hundred.

Dont tell me go prepaid I had a phone I got 20 bucks credit and made a few calls then after a mont i still had 7 or 8 bucks and they cancelled it.

I'll come shop in your store Joe.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 10:55 am
I think there are ways you use your cell phone in stores and other public places that are not completely rude. For one thing, if you have two conversations going on at the same time, the live one takes precedence. The person on the phone should be the one feeling ignored. Second, if you find yourself ignoring one of your conversations, you need to end that one. I've been on the phone while in line at a checkout, walked up to the next cashier, given her eye contact and a greeting while the person on the phone was talking, and then letting the person on the phone know that I was checking out and I'd call them right back. You don't lose your other means of communicating -- eyes, facial expressions, hand signals -- just because you are on the phone. And I reiterate, live people take precedence. And just the act of being on the phone doesn't necessarily mean that you are being rude. I think the rudeness comes in when not giving people around you proper respect and consideration, usually by ignoring them or wasting their time while you talk on the phone.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 12:00 pm
I've got one. Somewhere. Misplaced it months ago. No one's using it -we've checked. I think it's somewhere in the sofabed mechanism.

I carried it for emergency purposes. Turned off unless I planned to make a call to CAA/AAA or something similar.

If you're not actually giving surgical advice, or something else that's an emergency, I don't think it has any place when you're with other people.

Pull it out while we're in a resto together, and I'll forget your name by tomorrow.

Thank goodness they're not really seen much here - people have them, but really do tend to save them for emergency use. Going to the U.S. is always weird - people walking around talking on their Bluetooth. <shaking>
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 12:26 pm
I have a cell phone but I don't use it much except when I'm at the grovery store. "Do we have this? Do we need more?"

There was a few times however I was glad I had it. I travel sometimes for business and occasionally have a layover in some strange city. One time my flight was delayed taking off (we were still at the gate with the door open) and I knew that I was going to miss my connecting flight so I got on the cell to the flight reservations agent only to find out the delay was my savior as my connecting flight had been cancelled for that day and there were not any until some 12 hours later. Well thankfully, I was able to make arrangements for a new flight from the current airport I was in so I still got to my final desitnation just a couple of hours later. Phew. Crisis averted and all because I had the ability to make a call from my airplane seat.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 05:58 pm
djalliance wrote:
You can go on ur phone if you want.
If I was standing in a cue waiting to get served and you went to the next person after me id' go mental. Customers don't have to talk to you so why exclude them just because they are on their phone?

( I don't think I made it clear that my job is answer questions. {Do I have to use a primer? What kind of stuff will take out this stain? Is this a bedbug?} So, yes, they pretty much have to talk to me.)

Hardly anyone talks to me when I get served so I don't see the problem.
<Snip>
Unfortunantly the mobile is such an important part of communication these days. The problem is there is no sense of community these days. Everyone is too personalised!!!! hate it!

(So.... there is no sense of community and you are doing your part in continuing to create that sense every time you act as if the live person in front of you is nothing more than a warm automaton.(Yessss, they are just charging you out..so?).

Joe(And just because THEY are acting like warm automaton doesn't mean they are.)Nation
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 01:23 am
FreeDuck wrote:
I think there are ways you use your cell phone in stores and other public places that are not completely rude. For one thing, if you have two conversations going on at the same time, the live one takes precedence. The person on the phone should be the one feeling ignored. Second, if you find yourself ignoring one of your conversations, you need to end that one. I've been on the phone while in line at a checkout, walked up to the next cashier, given her eye contact and a greeting while the person on the phone was talking, and then letting the person on the phone know that I was checking out and I'd call them right back. You don't lose your other means of communicating -- eyes, facial expressions, hand signals -- just because you are on the phone. And I reiterate, live people take precedence. And just the act of being on the phone doesn't necessarily mean that you are being rude. I think the rudeness comes in when not giving people around you proper respect and consideration, usually by ignoring them or wasting their time while you talk on the phone.

You make some good points. Another is if you're waiting for a doc or someone to make an appointment, you may need to be reached on your cell. Since I moved out, I don't have a land line, only a cell phone, so it's my only form of communication when I'm not on the computer. Sometimes you need to leave a message, and then take the return phone call.

Rude people are going to be rude no matter what - on the phone, in their cars, etc... Polite people are going to be polite no matter what... it's not about the phone, it's about people's behaviour. Not everyone is an asshole, despite how often they're on their cell phone.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 07:50 am
Yeah, I'm one that feels I always need to be reachable because of my kids. I don't use my phone for long conversations very often, but I do feel that I need to have it close and on in case of emergency. Yesterday, for example, the school clinic called to tell me my daughter was sick and needed to go home. I have an office phone, but 1) the number can change if we move or if I change jobs and 2) I'm often out of my office for hours at a time. Hours mean a lot to 5 year olds with tummy aches.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 07:52 am
Re: On your phone? You're on your own.
Joe Nation wrote:
Half-caf Skim Grande Skim Latte.

Why bother?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 08:14 am
Re: On your phone? You're on your own.
Wilso wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:
Half-caf Skim Grande Skim Latte.

Why bother?

Because it's delicious and the way people want it who are willing to pay it's price. Not me. I just get a drip and put non-fat milk in it.

====
No one is saying, at least I'm not, that everyone on a phone is a jerk. If your kid's school is calling say, "It's my kid's school" or "Sorry, got to take this." and don't hold anyone hostage to your situation."

If I am expecting a call that I cannot miss, I don't interact with anyone until after that has happened. If I am with other human beings, I let the phone ring and expect that the caller knows how to leave a message.

Joe(what is important comes first)Nation
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 08:23 am
Pulp all moblie phones.

put em under a steamroller.

Hello Can you hear me...... CAN YOU HEAR ME!?

WHERE ARE YOU? .... .....I'M HERE.
oK WELL i HOPE YOU CAN HEAR THIS AND IF YOU CANT CALL ME OK

I SAID I'LL CALL YOU BACK IN 5

drivel!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 08:35 am
I told this before but I can't avoid being boring.

We were watching some old tv detective show. Mannix or Magnum PI or some such bleeth, anyway the detective (handsome, forthright and smart as a whip) attended by his female sidekick (leggy, bright as a button, but with a tough edge) are investigating some mis-doings together.

They find some clues at a warehouse and then get in the detective's car and head back to the beach house. (It must have been Magnum PI)

They are talking in the car about what they just discovered when something occurs to the both of them.

Something that must be related at once to the local authorities!!!!

What do they do?

They pull into a gas station and use the payphone.

Joe(those were the days, my friend.)Nation
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 08:36 am
Lucky it was working.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 08:57 am
And that they had the two bits to make the call.

The world has changed he said as he strapped on his book/music player to his arm, clipped his phone/camera/calendar/task list/contact directory to his running shorts after checking that yes, Adam's play is this weekend and the afterward dinner reservations have been confirmed. Opening his email program on his desktop so that any emails will be forwarded to his waistband as he runs, he heads for the door, stopping first to make a note to buy more energy gels on the way home.

Joe(Don't bulldoze my lifeline.)Nation
0 Replies