Canada: Ottawa, Guelph, Halifax, Calgary, Vancouver

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 02:54 am
Just wondering if anyone has ever live din these cities before and what they are like?

Ottawa, Guelph, Halifax, Calgary, Vancouver.

Problem I would have if I ever chose to live in Canada would be to find work as a community educator, i.e. Youth worker, homeles secotor, project worker etc. Ottawa seems lovely as does Guelph, wasn't too keen on the others from what I have seen on youtube.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,000 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Tico

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 07:33 am
Well, I've lived in and have family in Ottawa. I currently live not far from Guelph, have family in Calgary and friends in Vancouver. Nothing on Halifax.

Each city has it's good and bad points, of course. It depends on what you want. Maybe if you told us what is important to you ...

To get an idea of availability of jobs, you could take a look at monster.com or workopedia.com. But you may find it more difficult than just wanting to work to emigrate. Like all countries, Canada has criteria.
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 11:08 am
Tico wrote:
Well, I've lived in and have family in Ottawa. I currently live not far from Guelph, have family in Calgary and friends in Vancouver. Nothing on Halifax.

Each city has it's good and bad points, of course. It depends on what you want. Maybe if you told us what is important to you ...

To get an idea of availability of jobs, you could take a look at monster.com or workopedia.com. But you may find it more difficult than just wanting to work to emigrate. Like all countries, Canada has criteria.

Firstly I meet the criteria which is good. I will be in my early 30s when I move so im looking for somewhere chilled out and relaxing but at the same time can be vibrant and have a resonably decent (doesn't have to be great) night life - I certainly don't want anywhere that has drunks on the street. I'm more into chilling out in cafe's or a nice bar, or going out for a meal. I love scenary and architectual buildings like Edinburgh and Vienna. Even if I could see a mountain or some hills or even go to the lake id be very happy. Finding a good job is very imporant for me, I have no idea if there are lots of youth work or homelessness jobs in those placs I listed.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 12:01 pm
Meeting the criteria today doesn't mean you'll meet the criteria tomorrow. For example, your points drop as you age.

Depending on your career area (at the time of arrival) you may not necessarily get a choice of location. For example, doctors with foreign credentials who want to be fast-tracked are given a list of communities they can choose from (none of them are cities - from the last list I saw - all were smaller, more northern towns).

Are you prepared for the weather in places like Calgary, Guelph and Ottawa? They have what is called a continental climate - cold, snowy, dampish in winter. By cold I mean minus 30 Celsius.

If you are better suited for a more moderated climate (and interesting scenery) I'd recommend Vancouver or Halifax.

Will you be bringing significant funds to cover your initial housing costs? If not, look at Halifax, Guelph or Ottawa.

Are you fluently bilingual in French? prepared to raise any children/potential children in French? that will increase your options quite a bit.
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 01:09 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Meeting the criteria today doesn't mean you'll meet the criteria tomorrow. For example, your points drop as you age.

Depending on your career area (at the time of arrival) you may not necessarily get a choice of location. For example, doctors with foreign credentials who want to be fast-tracked are given a list of communities they can choose from (none of them are cities - from the last list I saw - all were smaller, more northern towns).

Are you prepared for the weather in places like Calgary, Guelph and Ottawa? They have what is called a continental climate - cold, snowy, dampish in winter. By cold I mean minus 30 Celsius.

If you are better suited for a more moderated climate (and interesting scenery) I'd recommend Vancouver or Halifax.

Will you be bringing significant funds to cover your initial housing costs? If not, look at Halifax, Guelph or Ottawa.

Are you fluently bilingual in French? prepared to raise any children/potential children in French? that will increase your options quite a bit.

Good valid points....

Im a community educator and always will be so my job is very wide ranged from youth work to community work to working int he homeless secotr I will have a gold in a gem of qualification when I graduate next year.

I live in Scotland so I suppose ill be used to the cold wather it gash here in Scotland, never ever is it sunny.

I rent privatly and have no home of my own, however, I will be buying a property next year here in Scotland which will be my future fund for my pension. The property I buy will be rented out whilst I live abroad, plus I have famiy in Scotland so its no problem doing that. I will then buy a property in canada after a couple of years once I hav a steady job - should I choose to move there that it.

I dont speak French but my flatmate does and would learn the basics from her. I wouldn't mind my children (when I have them) to learn French, I like the accent Smile I pesonally find French easier to learn than German so for me I would be more than happy to learn french.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 03:55 pm
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 08:13 pm
djalliance wrote:
Firstly I meet the criteria which is good. I will be in my early 30s when I move so im looking for somewhere chilled out and relaxing but at the same time can be vibrant and have a resonably decent (doesn't have to be great) night life - I certainly don't want anywhere that has drunks on the street. I'm more into chilling out in cafe's or a nice bar, or going out for a meal. I love scenary and architectual buildings like Edinburgh and Vienna. Even if I could see a mountain or some hills or even go to the lake id be very happy. Finding a good job is very imporant for me, I have no idea if there are lots of youth work or homelessness jobs in those placs I listed.

Um ... although I've never been to either Edinburgh or Vienna, I've seen pictures, and you won't find architecture like that here. There is lots of "scenery", of course. But outside of Vancouver, it's not like it's going to be at your front door.

I'm a little concerned about the drunks comment. I'm afraid that you're likely to find drunks in all of these cities. What puzzles me is that you want to work with the homeless, but don't want to see people with alcohol problems. The two often go hand-in-hand, unfortunately.

Are you being disingenuous? If you're serious, you may want to add Kingston, Ontario to your list for research. It's a vibrant small city, located on the St.Lawrence River, with great restaurants, culture, markets, etc. The old part (150 - 200 years ago) was largely built by Scots stone masons, brought in to build the Rideau Canal. It is home to a prestigious university, a Royal Military College, a curious number of penitentiaries, and within easy reach of lake country.
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 12:38 am
Tico wrote:
djalliance wrote:

Um ... although I've never been to either Edinburgh or Vienna, I've seen pictures, and you won't find architecture like that here. There is lots of "scenery", of course. But outside of Vancouver, it's not like it's going to be at your front door.

I'm a little concerned about the drunks comment. I'm afraid that you're likely to find drunks in all of these cities. What puzzles me is that you want to work with the homeless, but don't want to see people with alcohol problems. The two often go hand-in-hand, unfortunately.

Are you being disingenuous? If you're serious, you may want to add Kingston, Ontario to your list for research. It's a vibrant small city, located on the St.Lawrence River, with great restaurants, culture, markets, etc. The old part (150 - 200 years ago) was largely built by Scots stone masons, brought in to build the Rideau Canal. It is home to a prestigious university, a Royal Military College, a curious number of penitentiaries, and within easy reach of lake country.

I never said I didn't want to see people with alcohol problems lol I said I don't want to go into a bar where aresholes are shouting and swearing and causing trouble, thats what I mean. Here in Scotland you se kids hanging about hte streets drinking alcohol and causing trouble a lot of the time, thats what I don't really want to see. Thanks for the info on the other places, ill look into them.
0 Replies

hemlock34

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 09:50 pm
I currently live in Calgary, but also lived in Ottawa for 20 years. It really depends on what you're needs are. Calgary has a booming economy and there is plenty of money to be made in just about every sector. However, be warned, the housing situation is absurd. House prices are astronomical (compared to most of Canada) and even renting is expensive. You should make more money in whatever field you are in though.

Ottawa is also a fabulous city, with a cheaper cost of living. However, you need a solid education, and the ability to speak both English and Frenglish (read French Canadian) to excel there. Being right on the Quebec border, bilingualism is a necessity in Ottawa for most jobs. Calgary has a fantastic public transit system with both buses and a train through the city. Commuting is considerably easier in Calgary than Ottawa.

Also, I read a couple months ago that Forbes rated Calgary the cleanest city in the world, with Ottawa ranking fourth and two other Canadian cities in the top 10.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 09:53 pm
Hi Hemlock, welcome to Able2Know.

It's always nice to have more Canajuns join the boards here.

Have a great time asking and answering!
0 Replies

hemlock34

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 07:06 pm
Thanks ehBeth, I'm glad I stumbled upon this site, it is fabulous. It would appear I have a long way to go to match your post count lol.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 12:34 pm
I'm from Calgary.

Ben here since '96. It has changed a lot. Lots of nouveau riche, snotty rich, wannabe rich, and then there is the entire opposite end of the spectrum. Hip and trendy spots are littered with able bodied teens apathetically begging for money (hat out with a sign as they snooze with their purebred alaskan malmute). Beer can cost upwards of $10 for a pint and most nightclubs have dress codes, cover charges and racial profiling.

The arts are not so alive here. There is still a very large redneck contingent of oil and cattle barons, farmers, ranchers, and small town imports. I would say Calgary is about as progressive as any small town in Alberta--which doesn't say much. The province is habitually conservative so it is politically uninspiring.

The reason I am here is the climate. Although we just received 8" of snow in less than 12 hours, we are supposed to climb to 20 degrees C in 2 days. The overall weather and climate is tolerable, hot spells in the summer and cold cold spells in the winter....but overall, the temperature allows you to be active 365 days a year. Close to mountains, lakes and other outdoorsy activities. Great pathways for biking and blading and good local walking paths.

I like Calgary and will pay the price it costs to live here. But I would be happy most anywhere so long as the weather permist me to be outside a lot.
0 Replies