A Job in the Movie Industry

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 03:46 pm
I think having a career in the movie industry is one of the most stressfull types of careers you can have. I don't think anyone quite knows what they have got themselves into once they decide to go that route. However, if I didn't love ever bit of the highly stressfull, sometimes extreamly dangerous, dealing with the most dramatic people I have ever met I don't think I would have taken this path.

I just finished up a job on a low budget feature film as a 2nd AD/Production Coordinator. I was originally hired on as a PA but they liked me so much that I was promoted twice. Now, sometimes, when there is a low budget movie and you are involved, you may find yourself wearing a few other hats to help out. Let me just list a few of the "hats" and jobs I was assigned to as I worked on this project...

Casting Assistant
Production Assistant
Production Coordinator
Props/Prop List
Scheduling
Making Shooting Schedules
Liason Between Actors and Crew
Liason Between Actors and Director/Producer
Runner
Craft Services
Making Shot Lists
Making Call Sheets
2nd AD
Script Supervisor
Being on Book
Set Dresser
Set/Prop/Wardrobe Consitancy
Photo Contingency

And when the 1st AD got a new job..guess who got all his responsibilities?

Not to mention I almost got fired because on top of that list of things I did, my boss wanted to throw wardrobe on top of me. Our wardrobe person couldn't help us out anymore and my boss wanted me to be in charge of wardrobe. I said no way because I knew I wouldn't be able to do it and I would just end up disappointing him. He basically didn't see me as a team player and tried to fire me with only 9 days left of shooting. I had to beg and plead for my job back. Talk about stressfull. I think what I love most about the taking a job that is this stressfull is the family you make while you are there.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 715 • Replies: 2
No top replies

caribou

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 04:22 pm
Are you in a union?
0 Replies

kitkat bar

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 05:36 pm
No, that was my first feature. I really don't know how to go about getting into one. I want to be a director so I assume I would have to be in the DGA or something.
0 Replies