Am I being too sensitive?

DrewDad

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 05:58 pm
Suff like this is why I work alone....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 06:04 pm
I've been through some of this. I've dealt with this with a friend/asssociate.
I always liked her and still do.

In my case, the person did this routinely, it was part of her manner, sporadically, including in ordinary conversation, and that was somewhat tied to a need to control, which she cheerfully admitted to. It was also a family thing.. For me, it's usually refreshing to hear what people actually think, and I tend to like an expressive person over a closed shop, whether I agree or not in any given conversation.

Still, dismissiveness is hard to deal with over time without becoming passive aggressive or subservient or blasting the air apart in frustrated remonstrance, especially if she learned about purple not entirely, but in part, from you.

This stuff builds. My take now is to speak up every damned time, with simplicity if possible. I say that not knowing if you are all equal on the committee or, eek, ducks in a line.

How to speak up, I'll leave to those wiser than I am.

Am still interested in the nature of the committee - did I miss she is the designated queen? I could have read too fast/sloppily.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 07:07 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
You may be right, Mame. I guess I'm just trying to avoid making this a personal issue. And I'm also not entirely convinced that I don't contribute to the problem by taking it personally in the first place, if you know what I mean. Like I may be giving off vibes of irritation, making her more combative, etc...

I don't know if you're giving off vibes or what, but her behaviour is very non-professional and completely disrespectful despite whatever you're giving off in vibes or feeling in general.

If you have to deal with her on an ongoing basis re: these meetings or otherwise at work, and if you want to remain a friend outside of work, it's worth saying something.

However you deal with it will, I'm positive, suit your style.

Best of luck. Good vibes and positive thoughts going your way.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 07:21 pm
Yes, to Mame's post.

Ah, but gird loins if it goes wrong.

I spent a lot of time saying sometimes-acknowledging things, and, oft, what, I don't think so, and much between. Arguing with every dismissiveness thing is a version of futile. It's like judgemental-on-a-song, or, if you will, judgmental. This is the underlying personality and it is hard to just change with some comments. I fail on the other end, in that I tend to see diff sides.

I see this dismissive persona as a big flaw for business life, but, of course, I'm naive. It works if they own the company.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 07:23 pm
osso, you nodding at me?

Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 07:44 pm
Sure, I think you're sharp.

And Freeduck certainly is. I bowww to her on analytic ability, for sure, and she combines it with human sense.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 05:53 am
OH No! You may be PMS-ing and you may be overreacting, too, but she's dismissive at best, under these circumstances, even if there's no intended malice. The start of your menses won't change that, though I appreciate it may become water off your back when you're feeling more yourself...until next month, when she does it again: Razz

Though I see the benefit of attempting to deal with it in one fell swoop as Mame suggests, I share osso's eek factor, if it goes wrong. I'd address it each time it arose, and figure she's bright enough to pick up on it. If nothing else it could become openly acknowledged, and at best, she'll take steps to emend it, but that's her deal. She will learn not to do it with you, if she's called on it... or at least I would, or at least I think I would.

If she's gracious enough to acknowledge it eventually, you might cut her some slack by adopting the mantra

"God have mercy on us power seekers."

I might eventually spell it out specifically at a later time, if subtlety (I thought my earlier suggestion was about as subtle as a hammer, but meh, maybe not) failed and she continued to undermine me.

Sounds like she had to become tough as nails to reach her position. I admire your ability to identify that, and your willingness to be so fair-minded, though I think you're being hard on yourself.

Besides, the devil's in the details. I really do hate MAWve.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 05:59 am
FreeDuck--

Quote:
You may be right, Mame. I guess I'm just trying to avoid making this a personal issue. And I'm also not entirely convinced that I don't contribute to the problem by taking it personally in the first place, if you know what I mean. Like I may be giving off vibes of irritation, making her more combative, etc...

You are not responsible for all the the evil in this world.

You are not responsible for all the evil in the corporate world.

You are not responsible for all the evil in your corner of the corporate world.

Stand up for yourself the way you would stand up for your kids.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 06:48 am
ossobuco wrote:

Am still interested in the nature of the committee - did I miss she is the designated queen? I could have read too fast/sloppily.

No, no, three equal parts. There are higher ranking people in there, but the three of us are equal -- for as long as we maintain it that way.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 07:45 am
Ok, I'm going to ramble for just a moment...just some stuff I've been thinking through all this.

Mame is right in that it might be better to call it to her attention out right, but (and this is the ramble part) I just can't believe people are so dense that if you repeatedly address similar situations in the same manner, they are not connecting the dots.

Me? If I was person B, it wouldn't take more than 2 or 3 times to pick up on the fact that FD was talking about ME, and that it would be good to not do whatever I was doing.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 08:08 am
ossobuco wrote:
Still, dismissiveness is hard to deal with over time without becoming passive aggressive or subservient or blasting the air apart in frustrated remonstrance, especially if she learned about purple not entirely, but in part, from you.

Bingo. This is what I'm trying to avoid and I'm having trouble getting my bearings.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 08:21 am
Noddy24 wrote:
FreeDuck--

Quote:

Stand up for yourself the way you would stand up for your kids.

yes you are. bear it.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 11:06 am
Ok, back to weirdness land. I'm not pms-ing this time, so I feel a bit better about my sensitivity levels. But she's turned bossy: sending me clipped emails that sound like direct orders about things that are a) not my responsibility and b) not that big of a deal (when she could mention it on IM or pop over to my office and speak to me about it). So, I started my enthusiasm response. Rather than getting bristly about being treated (in my perception) like a subordinate, I'm taking everything and doing it myself. Quickly, and well.

her: "you should probably do this"
me: "no prob, will do"

her: "this doesn't make any sense, why are we doing things this way"
me: "i've got it"

It's working for me because I'm not taking it personally -- I think she's stressed and trying to pass it on. Also, it gives me more ownership, which is something she previously tried to keep for herself.

I feel good, and a little bit, what's the word... competitive?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 10:23 am
FreeDuck--

Seems to me like Win-Win. She's happy. You're happy. The problems are being dispatched.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 10:29 am
Hmmm. She still gets to be Ms. Boss and you end up a version of subservient. Not so sure you own it, myself.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 10:42 am
Noddy24 wrote:
FreeDuck--

Stand up for yourself the way you would stand up for your kids.[/quote]

I love this! Thank you Noddy :-D

Just reading along and sypathizing with you Freeduck.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 10:45 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Ok, back to weirdness land. I'm not pms-ing this time, so I feel a bit better about my sensitivity levels. But she's turned bossy: sending me clipped emails that sound like direct orders about things that are a) not my responsibility and b) not that big of a deal (when she could mention it on IM or pop over to my office and speak to me about it). So, I started my enthusiasm response. Rather than getting bristly about being treated (in my perception) like a subordinate, I'm taking everything and doing it myself. Quickly, and well.

her: "you should probably do this"
me: "no prob, will do"

her: "this doesn't make any sense, why are we doing things this way"
me: "i've got it"

It's working for me because I'm not taking it personally -- I think she's stressed and trying to pass it on. Also, it gives me more ownership, which is something she previously tried to keep for herself.

I feel good, and a little bit, what's the word... competitive?

Cool! You go girl Cool Very Happy
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 11:30 am
Well, I'm with Osso on this; however, if you're okay with the passive stance, then that's what you should do. Whatever works, right?

Personally, bossy people get my back up, especially if we're all 'equal' on the committee. I don't like being bossed by anybody Smile It's not what you say, it's how you say it, every single time.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 11:54 am
I agree Mame! I personally, wouldn't be able to let someone get away with that without letting them know it was unacceptable to me. Some people may not like me for it, but I'm not good at biting my tongue in situations like that. That's why management positions are out of the question for me.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 01:13 pm
Oh, it gets my back up and I want to throw it back at her. But that won't accomplish what I want. Maybe it's not completely clear, but what I think is happening is that she bit off more than she could chew and is totally stressing. The implied message to her bossiness is that I'm not doing my fair share, which I is definitely NOT the case since I had some of the more difficult problems to solve on the project. We could fight and argue about this, or I can take a positive attitude and kick every problem's ass that comes my way. The result is that I look like the ass-kicker and she looks like the stressed finger pointer. I only end up a version of subservient in her view, which I no longer care about. Of course I could be wrong. And if I let it get to the point where I accepted more than I could handle then that wouldn't be good, but I don't intend to let it get that far.
0 Replies