jesus was a democrat

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 02:58 pm
So anyway I went to the market today to get a few things for lady Diane and standing in line (only one checker open) was a lady who was complaining that all the goddamn liberals in the area with their solar arrays and solar landscape lights and solar hot water heaters were using up all the solar energy so that new mexico would soon turn into another ice age covered with snow and ice. As it happened I followed her out the store and watched as she got into her SUV with a HUGE rear window sign that said "jesus may have been a democrat but god was a republican."
I rest my case.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 615 • Replies: 10
No top replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 03:01 pm
jesus obviously hated politicians.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 03:05 pm
jesus was crucified not a moment to soon.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 03:07 pm
so that politicians could be forgiven, right?

i think god is more like a watchdog group. nice idea, works in theory, but is actually powerless to do anything significant until the people on the bottom resolve to change things. jesus was what he was- a guy preaching against injustice, and offering a cultural solution that involved cooperation- but this all assumes he existed, naturally.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 03:22 pm
well tg, think of it this way, jesus and Sparticus both committed the ultimate sin; they gave hope to the enslaved, to the mother cradling their starving babies and the possibility of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. One could say their crucification was late in coming for the republican elite. Even Plato mentioned this. jesus was totally rad and needed to be put away just as Sparticus was. god on the other hand was really into control (think Bush)
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 03:35 pm
i agree that's how the old testament reads. and some "merciful" god that "demands" a sacrifice! i really think the requirement is something that we imagine is necessary thanks to a few of jesus's overzealous "students."

thing is, god didn't need jesus to give up his life, if the old testament is true. i think god and the crucifixion are both misunderstood, personally- but i'm not defending either so much as an open mind itself. i think god can be better understood in the context of the gods man worshipped before, and i think the crucifixion can be MUCH better understood in the context of all the other gods and prophets that were crucified. those who are unaware of religious history are destined to repeat it- even if the repetition is in the form of a fiction.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 03:38 pm
tinygiraffe wrote:
i agree that's how the old testament reads. and some "merciful" god that "demands" a sacrifice! i really think the requirement is something that we imagine is necessary thanks to a few of jesus's overzealous "students."

thing is, god didn't need jesus to give up his life, if the old testament is true. i think god and the crucifixion are both misunderstood, personally- but i'm not defending either so much as an open mind itself. i think god can be better understood in the context of the gods man worshipped before, and i think the crucifixion can be MUCH better understood in the context of all the other gods and prophets that were crucified. those who are unaware of religious history are destined to repeat it- even if the repetition is in the form of a fiction.
well, maybe but you're a dingabat.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 03:44 pm
better than "heretic" Smile

history makes perfect sense when it comes to understanding culture and even biology- with regards to evolution, we have fossil records that support our general views, even if there might be missing links and lost information. we have plenty of religious fossils also, and they might lead back to a common ancestor or several, just as we didn't come from apes but share a thing that goes farther back.

regardless, an understanding of the past leads to greater context for, and better understanding of the present. god makes a little more sense then, but christians don't Smile

actually there is plenty of room for them, but like with all people in history- the planet, as well as god and philosophy, will just have to be shared.

this is something that politicians obviously have a job to misunderstand, or ignore. but i'm still sorry that i ruined your joke - not too much, but just enough Wink
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 03:52 pm
dyslexia wrote:

by politicians....
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 03:56 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

by politicians....

well spotted.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 04:10 pm
dyslexia wrote:
well tg, think of it this way, jesus and Sparticus both committed the ultimate sin; they gave hope to the enslaved, to the mother cradling their starving babies and the possibility of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. One could say their crucification was late in coming for the republican elite. Even Plato mentioned this. jesus was totally rad and needed to be put away just as Sparticus was. god on the other hand was really into control (think Bush)

Jesus only gave them hope in another world...Spartacus, now.....
0 Replies