Collard Green Recipes Needed

cjhsa

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 05:30 pm
Here in Michigan, almost all of the greens come from Texas, suprisingly enough. The local megamart has almost one half an entire produce aisle dedicated just to greens. Collards, turnip, kale, dandelion, beet, etc.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 05:36 pm
the best collards I ever had were chopped collards that were cooked in a "potlikker" made of bacon , onion (whole cause its just for flavor) and two hamhocks per quart of water. Believe it or not , they are best cooked all day at a slow roll. Serve with cue and hush puppies. Sometimes a side of crowder peas is good to. Collards is soul food, nothing too fancy can be an improvement on their own flavor in pot likker.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 05:37 pm
I always throw a little sugar in my greens, collards and mustards, but stopped using salt pork many years ago and now I use smoked turkey parts and/or a can of chicken broth instead. Very flavorful.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 05:40 pm
If you have a garden, you should plant collards and kale and spinach in the fall and harvest in the spring, then cut down the seed tops at mid summer for another fall crop that will be sweet and flavorful
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 05:42 pm
NEVER use salt pork in anything, bacon , ham, or hamhocks only, Salt pork is only grease and salt
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 06:02 pm
farmerman wrote:
If you have a garden, you should plant collards and kale and spinach in the fall and harvest in the spring, then cut down the seed tops at mid summer for another fall crop that will be sweet and flavorful

seedlings?

or baby sprouts?

( I have seeds.. wondering if this is a good time of year to plant them..)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 07:16 pm
farmerman wrote:
the best collards I ever had were chopped collards that were cooked in a "potlikker" made of bacon , onion (whole cause its just for flavor) and two hamhocks per quart of water. Believe it or not , they are best cooked all day at a slow roll. Serve with cue and hush puppies. Sometimes a side of crowder peas is good to. Collards is soul food, nothing too fancy can be an improvement on their own flavor in pot likker.

And that sounds about right on compared to what I had.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 04:47 am
shewolf, where you are, planting now is probably nest. Pick the greens when they are big enough to suit you. Then just keep them cut over the summer (So they dont go to seed) and let them regrow in like August for another fall crop.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 05:54 am
We grew greens in California. Out there, unless we had a really hard freeze, many would regrow from the root crown for years.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 07:37 am
I tried f-mans potlikker recipe and it was good, but not quite the same as I had at Brother Jimmy's. I think it needed more salt, maybe some hot sauce, not sure. Nevertheless, it was quite good. Thanks f-man!
0 Replies