Collard Green Recipes Needed

cjhsa

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 07:26 am
On a recent trip I ate at a barbecue joint that offerred collards as a side dish choice. As I love good 'cue and have gotten tired of beans and coleslaw, I tried the greens. They were tender yet not overcooked, swimming in an oniony, garlicky, salty broth. They were fantastic.

As the weater cools steaming hot sides of greens somehow sound really good. Recipes please!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,494 • Replies: 29
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 09:14 am
Southern-Style Collard Greens
The most common recipe:

Southern-Style Collard Greens
From Diana Rattray,
Your Guide to Southern U.S. Cuisine.

INGREDIENTS:

2 pounds of collard greens
1 ham hock or 6 slices of cooked bacon
1 medium onion, sliced or chopped
1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
2 to 3 teaspoons Kosher salt

PREPARATION:

Clean and wash greens well; remove tough stems and ribs. Cut them up and place in a deep pot; add onion. Wash off ham hock and add to the pot. Add red pepper and salt. Add enough water to cover greens and cook until tender, about 1 hour.

This one is more interesting:

Sauteed Collard Greens
From Diana Rattray,
Your Guide to Southern U.S. Cuisine.

This recipe for sauteed collard greens and kale includes seasoning of olive oil, garlic, salt, black pepper, and lemon juice.

INGREDIENTS:

1 large bunch collard greens, about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds
1 large bunch kale, about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds
3 tablespoons olive oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
juice of 1/2 lemon
a few dashes hot pepper sauce, optional

PREPARATION:

Rinse collard greens and kale well in a large bowl of cold water. Drain and cut off tough stems. Cut leaves into 1/4-inch strips. You should have about 8 packed cups.

In a well-seasoned heavy skillet or wok, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.

Add the garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add half of the collard greens and cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds. Add half of the kale and cook stirring, for about 1 minute, until they begin to soften. Add the remaining greens and cook, stirring constantly, for about 10 minutes, until the greens are tender.

Season with the salt, pepper, and lemon juice, and a few drops of hot pepper sauce, if desired

Serves 4.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 11:20 am
Cool. Keep 'em coming.

The place I ate was Brother Jimmy's in NYC... not the best 'cue I've ever had... but those collards were great!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 11:54 am
I think I used to cook collard with olive oil, chili flakes, garlic, but it has been a while.

I did save this recipe for collard squares the other day - looks good to me.

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-potluckrec1oct03,1,7275935.story?coll=la-headlines-food

See link for photo...

October 3, 2007

Total time: About 1 1/2 hours

Servings: 12

2 large bunches collard greens

1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes

1 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided

2 tablespoons butter plus extra for the baking dish

1 medium onion, finely diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 pound shiitakes, stems removed, caps finely diced

1 teaspoon tamari or soy sauce

8 large eggs

8 ounces Comté or Gruyère cheese, grated

1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs

1. Remove the tough stems from the greens and wash the leaves well in several changes of cold water. Place them in a large pot and add the hot pepper flakes and 1 teaspoon salt. Add water to cover by several inches and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the greens are very tender, about 1 hour. Drain well and cool slightly, then squeeze dry and finely chop.

2. While the collards are cooking, melt the butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, sprinkle lightly with one-fourth teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the shiitakes and the tamari and sauté until they are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.

3. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.

4. Combine the collards and shiitakes in a bowl. Add the eggs, cheese and bread crumbs and mix well. Spread into the prepared pan. Bake 30 minutes. Cut into squares to serve hot or at room temperature.

Each serving: 188 calories; 12 grams protein; 8 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams fiber; 12 grams fat; 6 grams saturated fat; 167 mg. cholesterol; 478 mg. sodium.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 11:59 am
I'm sure I never cooked the greens for any long time like an hour, so I might try a combo of the timing/method in BBB's recipe post, and the general ingredients/baking in the one I just posted.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 12:36 pm
That recipe for squares is similar to a greens souffle. I make those occasionally - but when you can buy a large Stouffers spinach souffle for $2 it's kinda hard to justify.... Stouffers does a great job on many things...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 12:50 pm
ohhhhhhhhh man I looove the greens Smile

good thread.

Have you tried Kale?
Not that they are related of course. But Kale is another leafy green I would have never thought I would have liked until I had it cooked for me as well.
I just about fell outta my chair. mmmmmmmmm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 12:55 pm
I like kale, chard, collard greens, mustard greens... spinach, of course.
Have never cooked turnip greens or beet greens...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 01:08 pm
We didn't grow any greens this year. In the past we always had beet greens, spinach, kale, chard, mustard... many reseeded year after year in the California garden.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 01:25 pm
I like the look of chard and kale in the garden. Never have grown mustard greens or collard..
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 01:50 pm
BBB
Have a look at more greens recipes.

http://southernfood.about.com/library/weekly/aa031100a.htm

I just finished a plate of some of the best asparagus for lunch I've had in a long time. Bought them at the Sunshine Market, the only organic grocery store on the West side of the Rio Grande River. I know Dyslexia and Diane also shop a lot there.

BBB
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 02:03 pm
Was it from Chile? That's what we're seeing here now.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 02:17 pm
cjhsa
cjhsa wrote:
Was it from Chile? That's what we're seeing here now.

I don't know the country of origin, but I wonder if Chile produces for the organic markets?

BBB
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 09:10 am
I'm quite sure they do. Twenty years ago I was into wine in a big way - trying all the variatals, vintages, studying and reading all the time. I didn't have any money or I would have purchased vineyard land in Chile - it would have been a highly profitable investment.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 11:00 am
Chile is the source of some of the most contaminated grapes and other fruits available.

Contaminated meaning - highest concentration of chemicals.

People have a high rate of cancer who work the fields in Chile because of some of the pesticides they use.
The grapes from Chile being the best example, are slowly being banned in some countries...

I would be afraid of "organic' fruit from Chile...

(edited for spelling .. Rolling Eyes It is ChilE not Chili..)
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 11:03 am
Shewolf,

Where do you live in Texas? Just being nosey homegirl.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 09:24 am
cjhsa,
Anyone who likes collards can't be all bad.

I'm hankerin' for a mess of 'em, with some pork neckbones and rice. Nobody does 'em like my sister - but I do pretty good.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 09:39 am
I lived in Georgia for a couple years and ate a lot of greens, most were great but some were not very tasty. At the time was into eating and not cooking, so never quizzed the cooks about what they did differently. But I suspect that, unhealthy tho we may think it today, my faves were usually done with bacon/ham/fatback as an essential ingredient. Some were bitter, and some, again the ones I liked, had just a hint of sweetness about them. Did a quick look at internet recipes and found no sugar or molasses involved in them, so I have no idea what could have produced that.

It's very hard to find good greens in Massachusetts. When you've got 'em hot and ready, can I come visit, snood?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 10:09 am
Well, I don't know...
Just how hearty an eater are ya? Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 10:11 am
Dandelion greens, they're good too, and I bet Massachusetts has some of those.

Hmm, maybe you don't, just guessing.
0 Replies