Orchestrated Right-Wing Lie re Gore & Global warming

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 11:15 am
We can expect a more vicious campaign by the oil industry and their puppets in the Congress and the Administration to attack Al Gore's claims of human caused global warming. The handful of scientists who reject Gore's case have all been bought by the fossil fuel industry. ---BBB

A New Orchestrated Right-Wing Lie Unmasked About Al Gore and Global Warming
by Jackson Williams
Posted October 11, 2007

In a Huff Post this week about Al Gore and a possible Nobel Prize, several conservatives who monitor our insights decided to participate in the comments section. Regarding Gore's documentary An Inconvenient Truth, some of these commenters stated flatly that, as one put it, "England....just debunked ELEVEN lies in Gore's propaganda....Have you even checked out any of the headlines today? It is on just about every news site out there." Another wrote, "This is what the British government just ruled regarding the showing of AIT in schools."

Email
Print
Comment
Other comments said the same thing, and conservative websites are positively crowing.

One of the most over-the-top spins came from the far right Heartland Institute, funded by tobacco and Big Oil, which issued a widely copied press release this week saying that "the British High Court properly recognized that Al Gore's movie is nine parts political propaganda and one part science."

There's just one problem: These are all lies, and the British Court said no such thing. In truth, the judge agreed with Gore and the film's thesis, and it is inconvenient for the Right to admit it. A review of what the judge actually wrote in his ruling proves it.

Here are the facts. A global warming denier, a British truckdriving father of two teens, sued to ban the showing of the film in the public schools. In a blow to the father, a High Court judge ruled that the film can be shown, but that teachers must emphasize to students that it's political, with a point of view. As the judge put it, "It is now common ground that it is not simply a science film - although it is clear that it is based substantially on scientific research and opinion - but that it is a political film."

There were some things in the film the father objected to, and the judge found that while the film was "broadly accurate" in its presentation of the cause and effect of climate change, there were some representations with which he took issue.

For example, the judge ruled that in the film Gore suggests that the drying of Lake Chad, the loss of Mount Kilimanjaro's snows and Hurricane Katrina may well have been caused by climate change, but the judge said the scientific community has yet to prove a direct link.

The judge also accepted the government's offer to rewrite some aspects of the teacher's study guide to reflect that some of the statements in the film are not 100% universally accepted.

This is really not that big a deal. Plenty of scientifically sound views are not yet 100% accepted by all scientists, as the process of scientific inquiry is always ongoing. And after all, there are even some credentialed scientists out there who still don't accept Darwinian evolution in the 21st century, for God's sake!

But get this: according to the FOX News website, the judge ruled that the film was accurate in "four main scientific hypotheses, each of which is very well supported by research published in respected, peer-reviewed journals." In particular, the judge agreed "that climate change is mainly attributable to man-made emissions of carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide ('greenhouse gases')." These are quotes from the judge.

The other three key points in the film the judge agreed with: "that global temperatures are rising and are likely to continue to rise, that climate change will cause serious damage if left unchecked, and that it is entirely possible for governments and individuals to reduce its impacts." Again, from the judge.

In essence, Gore's film hit a British High Court home run (OK, a triple) with some exceptions as to a few specific assertions sprinkled through the film, but you'll never hear this from the cadre of rightwing bloggers, or Sean Hannity, or "El Rushbo," or the rest of them.

Instead, it gets morphed into "British Court Rules Gore Film Full of Lies." Are these people stupid, gullible, dishonest, confused?

The British judge, with his ruling, has actually validated the core Gore message.

At the very least, this saga is a prime example of how those on the Right twist reality to fit their dogma, whether the issue is global warming or Saddam's WMD. Cut and Paste this to your refrigerator as a constant reminder, and if a right-winger swears to you that the sun rises in the east, set your alarm for 5:30AM just to be sure.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 529 • Replies: 14
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 11:19 am
Tomorrow the sun is going to rise in the west. Set your alarm.
0 Replies

Halfback

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 02:16 pm
...and the Left never twists data, news reports, et.al. to fit THEIR dogma? Crap. A pox on both extremist houses.

I see nothing is ever going to get done in this country constructively until extremist positions can mellow out a bit and attack the problems instead of each other. Since, however, it is easier to attack the opposition than to solve the problems, I suspect nothing is ever going to change in that dimension either.

Halfback
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 03:28 pm
I can't understand why Mr Gore is not calling for petrol rationing and restrictions on air conditioning and central heating.

It's as if he has a twee little constituency which wants it both ways. It wants to pose as saviours whilst being the biggest, greediest set of assholes on this earth any one of which, were it to win the lottery, would be at the Imelda Marcos faster than a jack-in-a-box on a twanged ruler or a pop-up in a topshelf magazine,
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 04:47 pm
I haven't been bought by anyone, and no one orchestrated me to post this reply.

There is no doubt that the Earth's climate has been constantly changing for the past several billion years. For nearly all of that time the climate managed to change all by itself, with no help from humanity, because there were no people then. Just 1000 years ago the climate was warm enough to allow the Norse to survive in Greenland. Then the climate cooled all by itself, and the Norse could no longer survive there.

The climate is changing again today, just as is always has. I do not know what percent of this change is natural, and what percent is related to human activities, and I do not believe that anyone else does either. I strongly suspect that little if any of the change is casued by human activity. What I do believe is the hype about climate change is nothing but a power grab by politicos who want to control everyone's life on Earth, while they fly around on their private jets as Mr. Gore loves to do.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 05:11 pm
Popping up like a pop-up in a topshelf magazine wherever there is a video camera to capture it and provide news entertainment programme editors with cheap and easy footage so that they, and their staff, can utilise the savings for other more important purposes.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 06:09 pm
Listen to the buzz . . .
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 06:26 pm
Buzzing is a well attested evolutionary mechanism Ed.

If you venture into the jungle you can expect to hear it as background. Especially at sunset and just after closing-time.

If it bothers you perhaps you should stay home and read Vogue or something.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 08:08 am
BBB
If you read up on the science, you will discover that the difference this time of climate change is that it is happening very rapidly contrary to past climate changes that took thousands of years to occur. Such rapid change can only be caused by human activity effecting the Earth's environment.

BBB
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 08:39 am
Quote:
Such rapid change can only be caused by human activity effecting the Earth's environment.

Yup, we should stop all human activity.

BBB, good thing you live in Albuquerque where they hold a yearly 'hot air' event.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 09:01 am
Brand X wrote:
Quote:
Such rapid change can only be caused by human activity effecting the Earth's environment.

BBB, good thing you live in Albuquerque where they hold a yearly 'hot air' event.

The usual air-head response.

BBB
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 09:03 am
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Brand X wrote:
Quote:

The usual air-head response.

BBB

At least you're consistant.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 11:42 am
I am not really into this whole climate change debate and I have never been of a scientific bent. In school way back too many years to count; I just zeroed in on the guy with glasses and sat next to him...

Anyway, I don't understand why everyone gets upset no matter what side you come down on. It just simply makes sense to be more environmentally smart for a lot of reasons other than thinking the world is going to stop because we are going to destroy it ourselves. If we used alternative energy; for one thing we wouldn't be dependant on oil from other countries and we wouldn't have wars over it. Aso this coutries oil companies would have less influence on politicians who control our government. Also if we had cleaner air and water people would be healthier with less allergies. I don't know about everybody else; but I have noticed in my part of country everybody's allergies are worse than they ever been.

I guess what I am trying to say is why can't we just try to do what those who study environment think will improve our environment without worry about the cause because it will just make thing better for all us? Or is that too simplistic?

I am glad Gore won if for no other reason than to stick it to those who hate him. Twisted Evil Also I think being environmentally smart is a good common sense thing to be and do.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 07:54 am
revel
revel, your common sense is evident.

BBB
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 09:39 am
Revealed: the man behind court attack on Gore film

Fuel and mining magnate backed UK challenge to An Inconvenient Truth

Jamie Doward, home affairs editor
Sunday October 14, 2007
The Observer

The school governor who challenged the screening of Al Gore's climate change documentary in secondary schools was funded by a Scottish quarrying magnate who established a controversial lobbying group to attack environmentalists' claims about global warming. http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,2190770,00.html
0 Replies