Is Auto Racing a Sport?

TTH

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 09:53 am
southernpride wrote:
Hey TTH:
Just got back from a little vacation and saw the video. (I've seen it before too.) This guy did not have a good seat mount or seat belt & shoulder harness mount and was real lucky that he didn't get crushed. By all rights, he should've been badly hurt.

Are you ready for Pomona?
Pomona - already went. I go to the finals instead of the 1st one. What about you? Are you going to any of the events?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 09:57 am
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6590/trophyjr4.jpg

Dayum! My nitrous injectors just went off prematurely! Wink
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 10:11 am
cjhsa
Then maybe you need a different car Laughing Laughing :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 12:10 pm
As i understand what people mean by sport, any sport requires physical virtuosity of one type or another. The "race car driver" requires a high degree of physical virtuosity in the control of their vehicle, and their reaction time. On that basis, i think that one cannot doubt that auto racing, whether it be NASCAR or any other variety, qualifies as a sport.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 12:22 pm
OMG Shocked
I can't believe it.....we actually agree on something Laughing
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 01:23 pm
southernpride wrote:
FC driver is probably Scelzi or Capps.
Scelzi? Well here is a pic for you:
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/2131/garyou6.jpg
I was instructing him on how to pack his chute Laughing Laughing
I was, really.....like he needs me to Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 01:34 pm
Yes, it's a sport.

However, NASCAR is the biggest joke in auto racing. The retard fans who tattoo their favorite numbers on them, hanging flags outside their houses, they're a parody of themselves. I have a cousin who's a huge NASCAR fan. He's also almost 40 years old, lives with his parents, rips the state off(collects disability when he could work), and sports a mullet.

There are other forms of auto racing that take a lot more skill, such as F1 racing. Then if you want REAL skill, MotoGP motorcycle racing is SO much more driver involved. 80% rider, 20% machine, where NASCAR is the opposite.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 01:54 pm
With Nascar it seems like people just want to see a crash. Also, I stopped by the Daytona 500 track when the cars were practicing. You just see a streak go by. You can't even tell which car it is because of the speed. So, I don't get it why people would pay so much to go there.

Hey southernpride, if you are still out there....I looked at this video closer. I don't see any line guys and the boards aren't right since his car is #113 and his dial in is 12.30
Do you or anyone see the same thing?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeXpziXP-Bg
I was also wondering if his car went through tech.
0 Replies

southernpride

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 04:12 pm
TTH wrote:
Pomona - already went. I go to the finals instead of the 1st one. What about you? Are you going to any of the events?

I'm talking about the 08 Winternationals. Most start talking about it right after Christmas, but I'm already thinking about it.
0 Replies

southernpride

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 04:18 pm
TTH wrote:
With Nascar it seems like people just want to see a crash. Also, I stopped by the Daytona 500 track when the cars were practicing. You just see a streak go by. You can't even tell which car it is because of the speed. So, I don't get it why people would pay so much to go there.

Hey southernpride, if you are still out there....I looked at this video closer. I don't see any line guys and the boards aren't right since his car is #113 and his dial in is 12.30
Do you or anyone see the same thing?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeXpziXP-Bg
I was also wondering if his car went through tech.

It sounds like you were in a lower seat for the practice session at Daytona. You'd get a much better perspective from a higher seat.

About that video, I understand that this guy was trying to qualify for a quick-32 deal at a local track and the bump spot was on the scoreboard. (There's no way he was going to run in the 10's. He probably lined up with the faster cars in order to get an extra run.) Also, there's not much to tech-inspection at most local tracks and I'd be surprised if his car was even inspected before running.
0 Replies

southernpride

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 04:21 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Yes, it's a sport.

However, NASCAR is the biggest joke in auto racing. The retard fans who tattoo their favorite numbers on them, hanging flags outside their houses, they're a parody of themselves. I have a cousin who's a huge NASCAR fan. He's also almost 40 years old, lives with his parents, rips the state off(collects disability when he could work), and sports a mullet.

There are other forms of auto racing that take a lot more skill, such as F1 racing.

Hey slappy. If NASCAR is such a joke, then why are F1 guys coming to it? And if they're so good and NASCAR is so easy then why aren't those F1 guys dominating?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 06:42 pm
southernpride wrote:
TTH wrote:

I'm talking about the 08 Winternationals. Most start talking about it right after Christmas, but I'm already thinking about it.
No, I don't go to the Winternationals. I am going somewhere warm & tropical.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 06:51 pm
southernpride wrote:
About that video, I understand that this guy was trying to qualify for a quick-32 deal at a local track and the bump spot was on the scoreboard. (There's no way he was going to run in the 10's. He probably lined up with the faster cars in order to get an extra run.) Also, there's not much to tech-inspection at most local tracks and I'd be surprised if his car was even inspected before running.
quick-32? I have heard of that. Is that a Canadian thing? Also, at our local tracks, which both are NHRA tracks, the cars get a pretty thorough tech-inspection.

That was the bump spot, in the 10's, and he was a 12 second car. I don't know why he thought he could manage that.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 06:38 am
In memory of Scott Kalitta RIP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MgcKF2ZGSA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJpnGoXARU4&feature=related
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 12:35 pm
Robert Hight Tribute Run For Scott Kalitta
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvcu9ne9zMI
0 Replies