Is Auto Racing a Sport?

baddog1

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 08:14 am
Given the popularity of NASCAR in the U.S. - how many consider racing to be a sport?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,680 • Replies: 54
No top replies

contrex

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 08:26 am
It's included in the sports programmes on the TV, everybody knows what "motor sport" means, in the early days of auto racing people used to bet on the drivers just like they bet on horses, so yes, it's a sport.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 08:29 am
It's a sport.

Just like BattleBots.

Joe(keeps those mechanical engineers busy, I tell you!)Nation
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 08:29 am
I consider it a sport when done properly.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 08:30 am
sport: Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

Driving a car is definitely a physical activity that calls for skill and co-ordination and reflexes.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 09:03 am
Re: Is Auto Racing a Sport?
baddog1 wrote:
Given the popularity of NASCAR in the U.S. - how many consider racing to be a sport?
NASCAR and sport are not synonymous, car racing and sport are.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 09:21 am
Here is a web definition:
"The National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) is the largest sanctioning body of motorsports in the United States."
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 11:00 am
dyslexia wrote:
baddog1 wrote:

Why do you consider that NASCAR is not a sport - while other forms of motor racing are a sport?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 12:00 pm
baddog1 wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
baddog1 wrote:

Why do you consider that NASCAR is not a sport - while other forms of motor racing are a sport?

He didn't say that "NASCAR is not a sport", he said that the acronym "NASCAR" does not mean exactly the same as the word "sport". This is true. NASCAR stands for "National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing". That obviously not mean the same as "physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively."

He also said that "car racing" and "sport" are synonymous. They are not. For example, the sentence "Baseball is a form of car racing" would be true if they were.

dyslexia does not understand what "synonymous" means. Neither do you, I think.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 12:12 pm
contrex wrote:

I'm sure dys knows the meaning of synonymous, however, It doesn't seem you're familiar with the meaning of "irony"

There's quite a history of cheating in NASCAR, thus, in the true spirit of the word sport, they aren't synonymous.

Car racing, without the cheating, is a sport.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 05:42 am
contrex wrote:

He didn't say that "NASCAR is not a sport", he said that the acronym "NASCAR" does not mean exactly the same as the word "sport". This is true. NASCAR stands for "National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing". That obviously not mean the same as "physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively."

How do you conclude that any form of auto racing is not a "physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively."? That's preposterous. Rolling Eyes

contrex wrote:

He also said that "car racing" and "sport" are synonymous. They are not. For example, the sentence "Baseball is a form of car racing" would be true if they were.

Have you ever heard of 'affirming The consequent'? Look it up.

contrex wrote:

Understanding what "synonomous means" may be the first subject that dyslexia and I have agreed on to date. :wink: I think it is you who is misguided.
0 Replies

southernpride

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:26 pm
NASCAR is not a sport. It's THE sport!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:31 pm
southernpride wrote:
NASCAR is moonshine drivers with sponsors.
0 Replies

southernpride

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:43 pm
Well, it was a while back. You're right about that. The racing was better then too. When Dale Sr., Davey and them other guys were still alive was the best. I doubt that there's any moonshiners racing now though. Too much TV.

The boys were in Phoenix over the weekend. Did you go and watch?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:43 pm
southernpride wrote:
I beg to differ. NHRA.....racing the 1/4 mile is THE SPORT!!! Very Happy
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:46 pm
Oh, and if you don't believe me then go do it and then tell me otherwise.
0 Replies

southernpride

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:53 pm
Hey TTH,

I've been to NHRA and IHRA and love em both. The smell, sound, speed is addicting. Different than the NASCAR boys, but I like em all. If it's got wheels, lets race em!
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:58 pm
southernpride wrote:
Hey TTH,

I've been to NHRA and IHRA and love em both. The smell, sound, speed is addicting. Different than the NASCAR boys, but I like em all. If it's got wheels, lets race em!
Watching & driving are 2 different feelings. There is nothing better than driving the 1/4 mile imo. Girls race too you know Very Happy

Hey IHRA? I have to go now but, would like to talk later if you like.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 05:03 pm
I drive a Porsche 911 Carrara rather than a Camaro, that may explain my bias. However, it was the Ford flat-head v-8 that created NASCAR.
0 Replies

username

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 05:15 pm
NASCAR is not sport, because only the Brits indulge in sport. Americans indulge in sports, notice in the previous posts the difference between people who use motorsport (the Brits) and motorsports (Americans).
0 Replies