Is Auto Racing a Sport?

TTH

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 10:16 pm
Okay, I think Confused
How about racing cars is a sport. Legally that is, not street racing.
0 Replies

southernpride

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 06:43 am
TTH wrote:
southernpride wrote:
Hey TTH,

I've been to NHRA and IHRA and love em both. The smell, sound, speed is addicting. Different than the NASCAR boys, but I like em all. If it's got wheels, lets race em!
Watching & driving are 2 different feelings. There is nothing better than driving the 1/4 mile imo. Girls race too you know Very Happy

Hey IHRA? I have to go now but, would like to talk later if you like.

Hello again TTH. You are right, girls are darn good drag racers.

Hi dyslexia. My camaro will eat your porsche for lunch. (just kidding there bud. Laughing ) Its always fun to talk about Porsches and American cars. Does your 911 have a turbocharger? And you are right about the flathead.

username - sorry but I do not follow what you're saying.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 09:03 am
Whether or not it's a sport or a business or a pastime or an excuse to get drunk....... it's a redneck waste of time.

IMO.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 09:06 am
Q.)What did the Deadhead say when he ran out of pot?

A.) What's that horrible noise?

The same could be said for auto racing observers when they run out of beer.
0 Replies

southernpride

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 09:23 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Whether or not it's a sport or a business or a pastime or an excuse to get drunk....... it's a redneck waste of time.

IMO.

Hello Mr. Bear. Racing is not a waste of time to race fans. I take it you're not one. That's ok. What sport do you like to watch?

Hi gustavratzenhofer. That's an interesting name. You're not from georgia are you? Laughing And it would be a rare occurence for a race fan to run outta beer too. Maybe if its a rain-out and goes to the next day. But then we're all hung over and don't want anymore beer. Or we go home and watch it on TV.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 09:26 am
I like pro wrestling... I'm cultured.
0 Replies

southernpride

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 09:37 am
Wrestlings OK I guess. It'd be better if it weren't rigged. Thats one thing I like about racing. That and the rubbing. Nothing better than seeing fellas scraping each other at 200 mph. I like the sound too.

What do you like most about wrestling? Stone Cold? Natureboy?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 09:56 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

IMO.
That is all good if you think that. I guarantee that the drivers, their families and sponsors don't think it is a waste of time. Have you ever tried it? The "it" is the 1/4 mile.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 09:59 am
southernpride wrote:
Wrestlings OK I guess. It'd be better if it weren't rigged. Thats one thing I like about racing. That and the rubbing. Nothing better than seeing fellas scraping each other at 200 mph. I like the sound too.
Hi back to you southernpride. 200 mph, hmm, better make that # in the 330's Laughing

I will post the speed limit sign later Very Happy
0 Replies

southernpride

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 02:37 pm
TTH wrote:
Hi back to you southernpride. 200 mph, hmm, better make that # in the 330's Laughing

I will post the speed limit sign later Very Happy

TTH - Yea 330 has got to be quite a rush. I saw John Force's crash where his car broke apart and admit that I was worried. he's a pretty tough old guy though and it looks like he'll be OK. His daughter is doing pretty good too. I hated to see her hit the fence a while back but I think she learned from it. She ain't afraid of it is she? Very Happy
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 03:12 pm
Here is the sign I said I would post.
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/2933/speedlimityh6.jpg
Ashley afraid? I don't know. Unfortunately, you learn by the mistakes you make and just hope you don't get hurt or hurt the driver who is next to you.

Yeah, john was lucky. I found out why the car broke, it was similar to why his other driver's car broke (which I rather not talk about- his other driver)
Now it is a matter of how they are going to fix it.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 09:54 pm
southernpride
So, do you have any favorite drivers in Pro Stock, Top Fuel or Funny Car?
0 Replies

southernpride

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 07:07 am
TTH wrote:
southernpride
So, do you have any favorite drivers in Pro Stock, Top Fuel or Funny Car?

My favorite PS driver is Kurt Johnson. FC driver is probably Scelzi or Capps. I like Force too, but there's just too much of Team Force. I like Doug Kalitta in TF. You're probably gonna hate this but I like that Whit Bazemore. I like him cause he tells it like it is and he won't take a dive.

My favorite class is Pro Mod though. You just never know what them cars are gonna do.

How bout you TTH?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 01:48 pm
PS is Allen
FC was someone else but now it is Jack (he was my instructor in CA, then Whit quit and Jack took his place....Whit signed for Jack's license....didn't know if you knew that)
TF is David & Tony

Sorry I can't post what I know about Whit.

Have you ever had the chance to hold one of the trophies? (Wally). I did and if you want I can post the pic.
0 Replies

southernpride

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 09:24 am
TTH wrote:
PS is Allen
FC was someone else but now it is Jack (he was my instructor in CA, then Whit quit and Jack took his place....Whit signed for Jack's license....didn't know if you knew that)
TF is David & Tony

Sorry I can't post what I know about Whit.

Have you ever had the chance to hold one of the trophies? (Wally). I did and if you want I can post the pic.

Hi again TTH. Like that sign!

I forgot about Fast Jack. I've heard that he's a pretty good guy and survived the cancer. He adapted to that funny car quickly.

Come on give me a hint about Whit.

I have held a Wally. A good friend runs Comp. Eliminator and has won a few. I'd still like to see the pic though.

Doesn't it rain quite a bit where you live? How do you get much racing in?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 03:16 pm
Jack is a real nice guy and so is his wife.
Sorry, no hints on Whit. It isn't in the press so I can't say.
I tell everyone it rains ALL the time so don't move here Laughing Laughing

Some races get rained out, but not that many.

I probably shouldn't post this pic but, I will. I cropped out what category it was in. The driver is nice & so is his family. He was so nice he gave me that champ hat.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6590/trophyjr4.jpg
0 Replies

southernpride

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 09:22 am
TTH wrote:
Jack is a real nice guy and so is his wife.
Sorry, no hints on Whit. It isn't in the press so I can't say.
I tell everyone it rains ALL the time so don't move here Laughing Laughing

Some races get rained out, but not that many.

I probably shouldn't post this pic but, I will. I cropped out what category it was in. The driver is nice & so is his family. He was so nice he gave me that champ hat.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6590/trophyjr4.jpg

I'll bet that pic was not taken in Washington! :wink: You're a pretty gal TTH.

Them Wally's are heavier than they look arent' they? Cool hat.

Do you have a dragster?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 11:38 am
How much you wanna bet? Just joking, yes it was taken in WA. It was over 100 degrees that day. Thanks for the compliment :wink:

They are heavy. When it was shoved in my arms I thought gosh this is heavy. Yeah it was real nice that the driver gave me the champ hat since they are meant for the crew.

Nope, I don't have a dragster. I went to the races one day because I wanted to buy a car and the parking lots are full so I thought what better way to look at a bunch of different cars. I knew right away when I saw the car I wanted. What I didn't realize was how much I would enjoy talking to the drivers and watching the cars race.

So, I bought 2 cars. I bought the one I wanted and then I bought one to race. I have raced both of them but, mainly I race the one I bought just to race. The other one is a limited edition car so I don't want to put a lot of miles on it.

I drive sportsman. I had a bad attitude though so that is why I went to CA and Jack was my instructor. My bad attitude was not wanting to quit when going down the strip. I lost traction at 80+ mph and I didn't want to quit. I couldn't steer out of it and the car ended up spinning me in circles. I was pretty sure the other car was in front of me because I know him and his car is 1 second faster than mine. Luckily I didn't hit the wall, in fact my car ended up in the other lane partly in the grass but close to that wall. The other driver was in front of me. The only reason I know the speed I was going is because my tire hit their beam. So, I did get the race slip and it showed how fast I was going when I hit that beam.

I no longer have that bad attitude. Jack knocked it out of me Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 03:33 pm
For those that don't think it is a sport, try it sometime.
Here is an example of someone who should have quit before he/she crashed. It only takes a split second to make a mistake.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeXpziXP-Bg
0 Replies

southernpride

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 09:34 am
TTH wrote:
For those that don't think it is a sport, try it sometime.
Here is an example of someone who should have quit before he/she crashed. It only takes a split second to make a mistake.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeXpziXP-Bg

Hey TTH:

Just got back from a little vacation and saw the video. (I've seen it before too.) This guy did not have a good seat mount or seat belt & shoulder harness mount and was real lucky that he didn't get crushed. By all rights, he should've been badly hurt.

Are you ready for Pomona?
0 Replies