What ever happened to the low carb craze

Chai

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 02:28 pm
Confused Apparently we have no King of the Hill watchers here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 11:13 am
Interesting article on pasta here (and it disagrees with me about durum semolina; I'm not sure he's correct); in any case, he makes a good point about the sauces.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/17/dining/17mini.html?ref=dining
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 11:31 am
Osso, thanks for a delightful and useful article. For the good life we must have a few (just a few) vices. One of mine is pasta. I eat my pasta dishes with whole wheat baguettes deeply dipped in olive oil, and never fail to have no more and no less than two glasses of vino russo/tinto. My favorite pasta dish is, of course olive oil and garlic.
I havn't read this thread yet, but it seems to me that the low carb craze has been upgraded by a more sophisticated condemnation of refined carbs, the kind that break down quickly (I forget the terminology for the good and bad carbs).
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 11:35 am
Chai wrote:

I'm one! Plus The Family Guy and South Park - oh, and Futurama Smile I don't look for them, but if they're on, I watch.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 11:37 am
Oh yeah, high and low glycemic indices.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 12:06 pm
Jespah, thanks SO much for the Amazon source for Dreamfields pasta. My only problem is that they sell in in two forms; NEW and USED pasta.(I assumehope that's just the format for ordering books).
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 02:44 pm
Setanta, what I admire about you--aside from your historical acumen--is the fact that you obviously follow the rule: You can live long--by means of sacrice--or you can LIVE.

I try to have my cake and eat it too. I eat "good" carbs and "good" fats. The low carb and Atkins diets starve us spiritually, if not physcially (to me to eat without pasta, bread and olive oil IS spiritual starvation) and to eat wilthout an occasional egg and filet mignon is to dry up spiritually). But for the most part I enjoy my daily meals characterized by a wide variety of sauteed vegetables sauteed in olive oil with garlic and chile peppers, brown rice with tumeric and ginger and RED WINE. No sense of deprivation at all.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 03:12 pm
Mame wrote:
Chai wrote:

I'm one! Plus The Family Guy and South Park - oh, and Futurama Smile I don't look for them, but if they're on, I watch.

So, you must remember the episode where Hank was ordered by his doctor to eat more healthy, after seeing a picture of his colon.

Peggy was trying to give him bran muffins for breakfast, and Hank, in his usual astute way, said something like "These aren't sausages"

Bobby was trying to use positive reinforcement with Hank by informing him the muffins would help him "make"

A small segway....I actually know a couple of people who talk like Boomhauer.

I can understand them mostly because of the context, or where they choose to put the work "f*ck" into their sentences.

it's like...."well ah'll tell you whut, that f*ckin' ole ramplasses better not magnagle on mah rumpstacasty or ah'll tear him a new acktaplunt for his nunkozy."

Me: Well, why did you ever let him borrow it in the first place?

"well I wuz jest, you know, tryin' to hampleup for the rantentopher he gave me on smegenelfidgle.

Me: Well, you live and learn.

"thas' right"
0 Replies