What ever happened to the low carb craze

EmilyGreen

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 06:53 am
I know of a handful of people who got really ill on the Atkins diet, and others who thrived. If you go by the blood-type diet, you'd see that certain blood types are supposed to go with very few carbs anyway, and others who really need it.

Just a thought.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 10:03 am
Who gives a rat's ass about low carbs? What a lot of rot. Your boy Dr. Atkins was in deplorable condition when he died. What is really a shame is that so many good products became unavailable just because of one of the most witless diet fads to come down the pike. In years gone by, triathalon hopefuls used to stuff themselves with carbs pre-race, in order to assure a high blood sugar level. I'd be interested to know if they succumbed to the idiotic fad, and what they did to prepare themselves for a race thereafter.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 10:14 am
I say carb schmarb.

Look at all those fat Italians with their pasta, Chinise with their white rice.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 10:15 am
I don't believe i've ever seen a fat Chinese . . .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 10:38 am
I eat scads of carbs, but then I don't have diabetes (tap, tap). I'm not interested in diet fads either, but do buy into the glycemic index thing to some extent - besides it at least somewhat goes along with more nutritional value per carb.

I do remember at the height of the adkins thing, blueberries were a no-no. Whaaaaaaaaaat??
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 10:45 am
roger wrote:
A comment on that stuff we call wheat bread. I read labels, and they're all "wheat bread". Rye bread, potatoe bread, multigrain, you name it, the principle ingredient is always wheat. I seem to recall that rye is way lower on the glycemic index than white wheat bread, which is fine. It's great stuff to sit around and eat with nothing but butter. It does not go well with peanut butter.

You can get rye bread that's really rye-based. You just have to search a bit.

PB's good on rye toast - dark rye toast in particular Cool
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 10:46 am
If anyone's on heart meds like coumadin - stay away from the quinoa. It's contra-indicated.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 10:47 am
I have discovered a diet that works better than low carb, low fat... or anything else. It's called the low calorie diet. Flawless.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 10:50 am
roger wrote:
Fiber is good

I just learned this past weekend that this is not a universal truth.

A parent of a friend, and a friend of the hamburger's, were both in hospital recently as a result of their high-fiber diets - and released to low-fiber diets. High fiber's not the right way for every body.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 11:25 am
Fiber helps you make.

- Bobby Hill, King of the Hill
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:00 pm
I honor of this thread, i cooked up four pounds of pasta for lunch, and ate it plain, with a half-pound of butter.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:02 pm
Setanta wrote:
I honor of this thread, i cooked up four pounds of pasta for lunch, and ate it plain, with a half-pound of butter.
No cheese?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:16 pm
I just wanted a light lunch.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:21 pm
Setanta wrote:
I just wanted a light lunch.
I had a ham and cheese sammich with porknbeans and chips. I am civilized!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:30 pm
Of course we could all do without the white sugar and white bread, and I do see where glycemic load is important, slow burning carbs.

However, in general, I find people who obsess about how many grams of carbs is in a natural, from the earth food incredibly annoying.

My bossÂ….The other day I says to her, I says "Taste these grapes, I think there're the sweetest I've ever had" She eats one and agrees their delicious.

Here, have some more.

Oh no, I can't. Too many carbs.

Yeah, all those people sitting in Milano right now, getting all porked out on grapes.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:31 pm
chai, you're a fruitcake, get over it!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 01:16 pm
I thought I was a wingnut.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 01:27 pm
Chai wrote:
Fiber helps you make.

not if you don't drink enough water Shocked
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 01:29 pm
jespah wrote:
Roger, when you run low, you can buy Dreamfields at Amazon.

did you know you can buy it used ??!! Laughing

why is it so damn expencive though?
whats in that stuff?
0 Replies

EmilyGreen

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 02:05 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Chai wrote:
Fiber helps you make.

not if you don't drink enough water Shocked

That's true! So many people don't realise that water coluble fiber like starches are necessary AND you have to have water with them.
0 Replies