For backpackers, runaways, and bumbs (basically drifters)

Busma

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 08:41 pm
A) It should be a day where the law requires jobs hiring not to require a place of residency from a job seeker. This way bumbs can get some footing in society to prosper instead of being called lazy by ppl who choose not to understand them and instead of being forced into panhandling which the ppl dont like.

B) It should be a day where there are city maintained public shower buildings that hold free soap and free lotion. Tired of dirty/smelly ppl who you can tell live on the street that could help themselves if they only had a certain place to clean up at.

C) It should be a day where certian particular foods (fruit related) are free and are grown by some specific vines and trees placed throughout each city to be picked by anyone passing by that is hungry.

^^^What say you to A, B, & C?

Why in this day and age isnt this a reality? Society should make it so ppl can live life as a drifter if they choose to. Then ppl may be free from the grip of having to be paying property taxes and free from living so confined and restricted. Ppl would be able to move along as they feel from location to location. Wouldn't it be so so hip? Then anyone could go into hiding if they feel they should for whatever reason (like self-defense). This would be as an alternative to somehow freeing up land areas from the current government just for a shot to live on one's own terms and provide for oneself. Who'd pay for it? Tax payers who all should put in to help the less fortunate.

Next time anybody plant a tree it better be one that bares some kind of eatable food to benefit the drifters of society.

Anyhow, get whoever in power to put in place A, B, and C. Do your part by e-mailing this to as many as you can. Or link em to this post so they can read it and help bring it into reality.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 565 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 08:52 pm
It's kind of a visious circle, huh? No address, no phone, no job. Still, someone shows up looking for work, you don't hire on the spot. So, what are you supposed to do? Get out on the street and look for them?
0 Replies

Busma

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 09:08 pm
roger wrote:
It's kind of a visious circle, huh? No address, no phone, no job. Still, someone shows up looking for work, you don't hire on the spot. So, what are you supposed to do? Get out on the street and look for them?

lol. There are payphones and pre-paid cell phones, you know? That's how they could be called for an interview.
0 Replies

Busma

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 09:08 pm
Imagine if you will
Imagine life without having to pay for a house or rent an apartment. As a drifter, that is working of course, you'd be able to save up major mula for whatever whenever in your journey. Without a place of residence who could find you to serve you a court order? No one! You'd be involved in untouchable living.

Haha, nobody says they want to be a drifter when they grow up. But it may just end up happening for whatever reason. You never know if you have to become one some day so lets get what I propose into reality through the proper channels.

Right now to go into hiding is hard because you have to know somebody down for you so that you can stay with them at their place till things cool off. And we all know not in all cases do things cool off.

The right to bare arms?! I present you with the ideal resources to drift! Just put them into reality to live the modern american dream.

As a drifter you dont have to worry about getting paid much from a job, you know? Because aint like you need all the money to rent out an apartment/house. I tell you, it would be fun being a drifter cause you get to camp out and get closer to living how they did a long time ago.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 04:06 am
I knew someone who had drifterdom enforced on him for a while- through circumstances beyond his control- and I hung out with him for a while and I'll tell you- being in that situation is exhausting.

He had a place to sleep at night- but he had to leave by eight in the morning and he couldn't go back in until 8:00 at night. So, rain or shine, unless he had money to spend on food, so he could take a little hiatus in a restaurant or something- he was on his feet- moving from place to place. He happened to like to read, so he spent a lot of time in the library, but that was across town, so he had to walk there and back- and I'm talking miles-(there wasn't free bus service in this town- I have lived in some towns where there is though).

I'd ask him what he needed and he needed loads of stuff- especially clothes- but he could only take what he could carry with him, because he had no place to put anything.

One weekend we went on what was supposed to be a day trip, about an hour from his city of residence, but three hours from mine. And it was rainy and miserable and since neither of us lived there, we had no place to go to get inside-it was Saturday afternoon so the town library was closed- we'd already eaten lunch.
I was so tired and wet and cold that finally I said, "Let's book a B&B for the night," just so we could get in out of the rain and I could take a nap. I can't even tell you what a relief it felt like to know that we had that room to go to for the rest of that afternoon and night. It felt like a safe and warm haven.
I got a taste of what he went through every single day- and I'll tell you- I couldn't have handled it.

As for your ideas- I think most people believe people should be able to take care of themselves-despite evidence to the contrary. So although those are nice ideas- I don't think you'd find many taxpayers who'd be willing to support them.
0 Replies