Caffeinated beverage of choice?

George

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 03:46 pm
I've got a Gaggia now. It took a while before I was pulling a decent shot.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 03:49 pm
That's interesting, George.. I'd rather like to forgive Gaggia, since I see them as a good company. I guess I wasn't patient enough.

Someone got a great deal at the Salvation Army, this in probably the early nineties.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 04:09 pm
Embarrassed I microwave milk...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 04:31 pm
I'm not sure I can tell the diff, except that a sharp steam milked person may be able to get it just hot enough w/o burning, and can guide the milk foam production, that I don't care about.

In coffee emporiums, that's not such a great percentage of, uh, baristas.

I haven't been in italy all that much over time, I just talk about it ad infinitum, so that some want to wallop me with tagliatelle. But, I don't remember burnt coffee or milk..
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 04:50 pm
Chai wrote:
You know, if I walked into a Starbucks, or I guess any other of those type coffee place, I would have absolutely no idea what to order.

Can someone give me a rundown of the jargon?

What would you say if you just wanted a damn cup of coffee to go? You know, pour 8 oz of that black stuff in a cup and let me get about my life?
Me either. My sister goes there so when I am going to see her she says "oh, can you go by and get me blah blah blah (that is what I hear)".

Then I get there and look at the menu and hell if I know what she wanted. It had a bunch of words in the name. So, I just pick something, give them a $10.00 tip and tell her
"here is your $14.03 coffee you wanted". She stopped asking me to get her coffee Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 05:02 pm
I went there once in a while when I lived in the famous north north (north of northern california). Why? It wasn't all that far and they had the NY Times, a paper I've enjoyed getting over the years, but they didn't have home delivery in that town - in which there were few places to buy it.
I'm not an unalloyed NYT fan, though I'm glad it exists - but it's part of my battery of reading.

One of my problems with starbucks was that there was nothing, nothing, nothing, that wasn't belligerantly sugared to eat.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 05:04 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I went there once in a while when I lived in the famous north north (north of northern california). Why? It wasn't all that far and they had the NY Times, a paper I've enjoyed getting over the years, but they didn't have home delivery in that town - in which there were few places to buy it.
I'm not an unalloyed NYT fan, though I'm glad it exists - but it's part of my battery of reading.

One of my problems with starbucks was that there was nothing, nothing, nothing, that wasn't belligerantly sugared to eat.

The good thing about the food at Starbucks is that it makes the coffee
look reasonably priced.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 06:17 pm
TTH wrote:
Chai wrote:
My sister goes there so when I am going to see her she says "oh, can you go by and get me blah blah blah (that is what I hear)".

Oh wow.

I'm like that too.

If I'm picking something up for someone, if it's got more than 2 words in it, they better write it down.

It not that I have a poor memory (I don't) it's just that I can't keep focused with all these names and methods and sizes and what not, because, I simply do not care.

If someone's going out for something and asks me if I want anything, I'm the type that'll say, "Yes, a chicken sandwich"

I will totally trust that the other person will bring me back some type of cooked chicken part stuck between 2 slices of some type of bread.

Beyond that, it's irrelevant.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 06:39 pm
Chai wrote:
It not that I have a poor memory (I don't) it's just that I can't keep focused with all these names and methods and sizes and what not, because, I simply do not care.
I agree with you there. Your post on sizes was good btw Cool
It reminded me of McDonalds for some reason. I go inside and order a pop and the person (with a straight face and is actually serious) asks me "Would you like that to go or stay?" I usually say I want it "to drink". Then they look at me all confused Rolling Eyes Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 06:48 pm
or....

You go into someplace, by yourself, when there's no other customers, and order a family meal, like enough food for 4 people, so you dont' have to cook dinner.

"Is that for here or to go"?
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 07:06 pm
Yep to the last three posts...heh.

Last week I went in and ordered for 5 people....all written down of course...I filled up 5 drinks and set them all on the counter, and the girl asked me if I needed a drink carrier....I was alone....nah I'll just balance them along with the three bags of food you just handed me in my little five speed ford ranger...can you go ahead and call the ambulance now, and tell them I'm headed east.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 01:46 pm
Chai wrote:
That's retarded.

In a nutshell.
Here are what the sizings are like in terms of sizes when I was a young Lassie:

There is no longer such a thing as "small."

small= large
medium= extra large
large = gigantic

It's pathetic. Then again, if I want to start up a conversation with someone in Starbucks, the sizing is always a good topic...common ground and all that.

George, Dunkin' Donuts coffee is really good. Except if you buy it brewed from a store in the Midwest--
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 02:32 pm
Never been to a Dunkies in the Midwest.
I had a decent cup of coffee at a Tim Horton's in Columbus, though.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 01:46 am
Coffee. Any decent black coffee made well will do. Often Tim Horton's. It's cheap and most everyone likes it. So that's how it often goes down.
Sometimes I'll have cappuccino, but not at TH's! That's not much of a 'cap.

But really, I like trying different ones. There are a lot of places to get coffee, and a lot of bad coffee out there. But I'm not too picky.

Right now at home I'm drinking Kicking Horse, but that changes a lot too.

I like almost anything with caffeine in it. Unfortunately. Almost every kind of tea. Though herbal and Earl Grey are my favorites right now.

I don't like Starbucks. I just don't like the way it tastes. Even if it were cheaper, I wouldn't buy it. But I tried it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 05:05 pm
mushypancakes - check this out.

Great site. Music downloads, Tetley tea samples, recipes ...

(worth the free membership and more Cool )
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 05:15 pm
been drinking a lot of matte, (dont know if its caffeinated or not). I like the way the San Miguelians serve it with some kind of spicy sweet strips of puff dough like a sopaipilla with garram masala and sugar. Wed just go to a cafe and drink sweetened matte and eat these things from a pile that was always being filled .
It was always chilly and the matte was a nice warmeup.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 07:42 pm
For our work coffee maker we all take turns buying the two pound Costco in house roasted coffee, Sumatra blend. I drink about 3 cups a day when at work. Not so much for the caffeine but habit and a little warmth.
I do enjoy coffee shop drinks and find myself driving through Starbucks on occassion for a double or triple tall non-fat wet cappacino with a splenda.
When buying coffee for home I prefer Tully's over Starbucks. Pete's coffee is really good too. There is a Starbucks near the park I run at every Sunday and it's our ritual to stop in after our run. I get coffee and my friend gets tea.
I'm not much of a tea drinker. It's usally a comfort thing if I'm under the weather.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 05:03 am
I prefer coffeehouse coffee where they roast their own beans and dont rely on making their beans into a burnt offering like Starbucks.
Ive finally figgered out why Starbucks (Charbucks) burns their beans. The reality is that they mix a lot of cheaper robusta bens in there and when their coffee is produced it requires lots of milk and foam crap so its even drinkable.

If you drink a black starbucks with sugar , its a horrid bitter brew.It always has a charcoal like aftertaste. Coffee should have flavor.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 05:05 am
Latte, only when I need it to stay awake.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 05:01 pm
Hey, thanks Ehbeth. Smile
0 Replies