Caffeinated beverage of choice?

Chai

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 11:55 am
One cup of Maxwell House, black, no sugar, in the morning.

During the day, loose leaf gyokuro green tea. It consists of only the bud and first 2 leaves of the plant. I buy it online from Sofo.

When the tea leaves cool, sometimes I take a bit of them and put up between my cheek and gum in the back of my mouth, like chewing tobacco. Might sound strange, but it's nice, every so often, some of the leaves come down, and it's pleasant to chew tiny bits, and I've come to really enjoy the taste. Plus, you're getting the maximum benefits from the tea, and it's a little lift.

http://sencha.com/images/gyokuro4.jpg

If I want some emergency caffiene, which is rare, I'll grab whatever is there, as long as it's diet, don't like that sugar taste either.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 12:12 pm
Well, I often have Starbucks -- at home, made from their beans. I find that if I make it myself, it's pretty good. Right now, I have a mug of their organic Mexican on my desk.

I like many of Second Cup's single estate coffees (again, I usually buy the beans and make my own). The Saint Augustin is my favourite -- very light but with lots of flavour. And I just like saying, "I'll take 500 grams of Huehuetenango, please." (pronounced way-way-t'NAN-go) Very Happy

Most of my caffeine comes from coffee. But I do like teas, as well -- Assam, Earl Grey, English or Irish Breakfast, even good ol' Orange Pekoe.

Rooibos, which I also like, is not really a tea. Not sure if it has any caffeine in it, or not.

And then there's chocolate. Hmmm ... maybe that's my favourite caffeine source ... some fine European chocolate ...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 01:16 pm
Oooo. I'll take Godiva's. Preferably the dark chocolate candies.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 05:31 am
eoe, what's cheating? Caffeine is caffeine, you'se know? When I was a wee lass the coffee of all modern households was instant. My Mum drank Nescafe with milk and no sugar. She used to sneak me sips here and there. I thought it was the best tasting liquid ever.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 05:33 am
Chai, you are looking as elegant as ever. Ingenious-- tucking some tea leaves in the mouth like chewing tobacco.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 05:35 am
TTH wrote:
I drink diet pop (don't like the sugar taste is the reason for the diet part)
& just hot unflavored instant tea with sugar & milk.

Wait a mo-- doesn't diet soda have a sugar taste?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 07:52 am
Gala
It doesn't taste the same. Most anyone can take of sip of regular pop and diet pop and immediately tell the difference.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 08:48 am
Drinks with sugar in it makes my mouth feel all dirty and nasty.

I've even had some diet drinks that do that, one's that are trying to be all sweet or fruity or something.

Like those cokes that have cherry or vanilla in them...just too much stuff going on. I guess if I wanted to taste something sweet or complicated, with multiple flavors, something small, like an ounce or two, makes more sense to me. After that, all that flavor is just cloying, not at all refreshing.

I guess that's why I like green tea, subtle flavor. It's simple and refreshing.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 08:53 am
i was waiting for chocolate to be brought up. of course, if you fill a mug with pure melted chocolate, you might get something from that, but if a little research is done into the caffiene content in chocolate, i think people will decide they get a "caffiene high" from chocolate for the same reason people get "drunk" from non-alcoholic beer. look at the sugar content instead.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 09:08 am
I actually like Starbucks -- no accounting for taste, I guess.
I have Dunkin Donuts at home for drip and Starbucks Espresso Roast for Espresso.
My favorite is Caffe Americano, 1 to 1 espresso and water.
I don't have tea all that often, but I have Earl Grey or English Breakfast when I do.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 09:32 am
Trader Joe's Double Dark Mexican whole bean, freshly ground, and made with love by Mr B just before I get up in the morning Smile
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 09:41 am
Gala wrote:
Chai, you are looking as elegant as ever. Ingenious-- tucking some tea leaves in the mouth like chewing tobacco.

Hey, some of us can just carry it off better than others.

How do you think they built those Mayan pyraminds...cocoa leaves.

yep. acckkkkkkaacccc....tuuuu.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 11:35 am
I've gotten used to Starbucks, don't notice the burnt taste so much anymore. What I want is a big cup of coffee, sweet and pale. What I finally figured out to order was "grande-nonfat-three-equal-latte, please".

Americano, to me, tastes like weak burnt coffee.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 11:55 am
You know, if I walked into a Starbucks, or I guess any other of those type coffee place, I would have absolutely no idea what to order.

Can someone give me a rundown of the jargon?

What would you say if you just wanted a damn cup of coffee to go? You know, pour 8 oz of that black stuff in a cup and let me get about my life?
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 01:09 pm
Chai wrote:
You know, if I walked into a Starbucks, or I guess any other of those type coffee place, I would have absolutely no idea what to order.

Can someone give me a rundown of the jargon?

What would you say if you just wanted a damn cup of coffee to go? You know, pour 8 oz of that black stuff in a cup and let me get about my life?

I believe the smallest size cup at Starbucks is 12 oz., called a "tall".
Hunh? Yeah, tall means smallest.
They have a bold, a medium, and a mild "coffee of the day".
So just ask for a tall black bold (or medium or mild) coffee of the day.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 01:14 pm
That's retarded.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 01:27 pm
Chai wrote:

oh that's easy. don't get me wrong, it's not like i've never lowered myself enough to buy something from there (i've had at least two starbucks coffees in the last 7 years...) but they did used to have some kind of in-store jargon that they continue to speak.

if i walked in, i would glance at the big menu and order "a large iced [whatever looks like it's made with ice cream on the menu]" and if they ask "you mean venti..." i'd say "yes, a large, that's what i said." alternatively, you could just tell them to go **** themselves Smile

at the bookstore i go to, this is called "a medium javanilla shake." the medium is huge, and only 4 dollars. i say "only 4," and you will too if you go to starbucks regularly.

you'd want to just say: "give me your smallest size of black coffee, to go." i would use the word "smallest..." people like to avoid the word "small" in coffee places sometimes, i know of one that only has medium, large, and xtra large. apparantly they don't know what "medium" implies.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 02:40 pm
I only drink coffee at home - fresh ground, strong right from the machine.
One cup has enough caffeine to last me all day long. If I am really tired,
I'll have an espresso, that will do the trick too.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 03:00 pm
I would use the word smallest repeatedly if I went into a place like that.

That's TOO MUCH coffee for ANYONE to drink. Don't you have anything SMALLER?

FOUR DOLLARS FOR A CUP OF COFFEE!!! That must not be one of your SMALLER containers....You people charge A LOT of MONEY you know. What the smallest, CHEAPEST thing you've got?

Then, I'd take a sip and spew it all over and say "DAMN, this stuff tastes BURNT!!! Why do you charge people SO MUCH MONEY for something that tastes BURNT???

http://www.smylesandfish.com/images/spit.gif
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 03:18 pm
I'm considering chucking out my drip coffeemakers. (I bought one when I first moved to Abq, stuff being in a zillion boxes. Thus I have two.)

In my recent unpacking of my worldly goods, I found my stovetop espresso maker - indeed, it now sits by my stovetop, waiting for me to address it.

http://ledio.veseli.org/blog/uploaded_images/bialetti_class_corpimage-745479.jpg

Well, my particular Bialetti has brass, or brass-like trim. Probably is brass, it's a cool object.

Anyway, I used it before and liked it, very simple, but it's been some years now, and I'll have to play with proportions and type of grind, I suppose. Actually, I'll have to find and read some directions...

I agree with CJane, one really good delicious coffee is enough. Still packed is the old Krups espresso maker, your basic elementary device that worked ok for years - but even then I would often microwave milk (slaps self) instead of doing the steaming thing. I don't give a hoot about milk foam (as opposed to crema). I've owned a Gaggia, a fancier macchina with a pump system, but somehow failed with it as an inadequate Gaggia owner, even sending it back to the distributor... whence they sent me another one, still seemed to give me weak espresso. But - I think the problem was me, not the machine.
0 Replies