The new Jonathan Swift

JTT

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 11:33 am
Quote:
Stephen Colbert objects to having his words held up to scrutiny.

That's right, hate mongers like Media Matters take innocent statements like mine, Rush Limbaugh's, John Gibson's, and Bill O'Reilly's and make them offensive by posting them on the internet, allowing the general public to hear words that were meant for people who already agree with us. Media Matters, you want to end offensive speech? Then stop recording it for people who would be offended.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 484 • Replies: 8
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 11:34 am
Oooh, that is nice indeed...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 10:15 am
Unfortunately bombast is more accessible than wit.
0 Replies

Halfback

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 03:13 pm
Personally, I'd like to see an end to all offensive speech. Since speech is protected under the 1st ammendment, however....... the conclusion is to have "offensive" speech outlawed (a limit on free speech, on the face of it). THAT opens a whole can of worms:

1) Who decides what is offensive?

2) Offensive to a majority or a minority?

3) One man's insult is another man's political agenda. Obvious from all the hype and rhetoric we see passed back and forth.

I submit if we start limiting "free speech", for ANY reason, we no longer have free speech.

Since we seem to have a ground swell going on about outlawing "hate" speech, I believe we must eradicate the word "hate" from the language. Might I suggest "unlove". (See Orwell's 1984 for enlightenment)

OR, we can try to be a little more civil to one another, without having to have it legislated so. THAT makes a lot more sence to me. (But then again, I was taught to be civil and mannerly at a very young age.) Even though I try my best, I do fall from that lofty ideal under certain circumstances.

Halfback
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 02:02 pm
I'm not sure Colbert ranks up their with Swift but he is a very sharp wit.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 02:13 pm
Halfback wrote:
Personally, I'd like to see an end to all offensive speech. Since speech is protected under the 1st ammendment, however....... the conclusion is to have "offensive" speech outlawed (a limit on free speech, on the face of it). THAT opens a whole can of worms:

1) Who decides what is offensive?

2) Offensive to a majority or a minority?

3) One man's insult is another man's political agenda. Obvious from all the hype and rhetoric we see passed back and forth.

I submit if we start limiting "free speech", for ANY reason, we no longer have free speech.

Since we seem to have a ground swell going on about outlawing "hate" speech, I believe we must eradicate the word "hate" from the language. Might I suggest "unlove". (See Orwell's 1984 for enlightenment)

OR, we can try to be a little more civil to one another, without having to have it legislated so. THAT makes a lot more sence to me. (But then again, I was taught to be civil and mannerly at a very young age.) Even though I try my best, I do fall from that lofty ideal under certain circumstances.

Halfback

A very bent white mother and son kidnap a black woman who once dated the son, but eventually jilted him. They then rape and torture ( really torture - not water boarding and loud music) her. During their sick activity they call her the "N-word" and other foul names.

Fortunately the poor woman is rescued and the very bent mother and son are charged with the crimes of rape and torture. "The Family," and local "civil rights activists" are not content. They clamour for "hate crime" charges and suggest possibly sinister motives for the DA's failure to abide by their demands.

I would have thought that charging some with rape and torture was a lot worse than charging them with "hate," but I guess I'm just insensitive.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 09:40 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I'm not at all sure that you'd be qualified to make that judgment, Finn. But you are entitled to express an opinion. Smile
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 09:43 pm
JTT wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I'm not at all sure that you'd be qualified to make that judgment, Finn. But you are entitled to express an opinion. Smile

Well I am, and, after all, that's what counts. Cool
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 11:20 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
JTT wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Well I am, and, after all, that's what counts. Cool

Good, Finn, as long as we're both clear on this. What you normally offer is merely opinion. Smile
0 Replies