sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 12:49 pm
Pthhht.

(As an aside, someone could make big money having some sort of microwave kiosk -- say 4 of them -- that operates on the principles of an ATM. Set 'em up in parks, places where people take their lunches.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 12:52 pm
Oh, I missed your add-on about nuked food. Double pthhht.

I think the larger issue is the stupid American workaholic culture and offshoots. It's seen as bad, unproductive, lazy, whatever for a regular worker to take the hour to hour and a half necessary to get to a real restaurant, order, eat, and return from the restaurant. So they drive through and eat in the car.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 12:53 pm
LOL, the suggestions here are the very type of thing that makes food here suck.

"Make a fastfood place.." "make an ATM..."

heavy sigh

Fuggetaboutit, I gots to find Brazilians who can understand my rant well (they usually love the country when visiting but starve because teh food is so bad).
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 12:53 pm
I don't think a 'healthy' alternative to McD's will evolve beyond the juice bars. (Technically, it's "healthful" but that word is going the way of the dinosaur). McD's "Healthy Choices" menu is a travesty....We are lucky in Toronto to have a plethora of inexpensive ethnic cuisine availible, pretty much everywhere. Some are chains, some independent, but at least they are there. I can get a good Pho or Chinese takeaway almost anywhere in the city. I think Toronto is really 'cosmopolitan' in the true sense of the word, as an adjective, of course Wink Oh, and don't get me started on how great our Churassco is...<drools>....incidentally, most salads are all carbs, unless it is a chicken/beef/shrimp something or other. Rolling Eyes If wimmins be take-out salad addicts, best to ask for the fat and sugar content of the supposedly 'healthful' meal.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 12:54 pm
Yup, and if it were convenient it wouldn't take an hour and a half.

I used to be in and out of very nice restaurants in Brazil in 10-15 minutes. Without resorting to eating crap.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 12:56 pm
cav! I LOOOOVE Churrassco! It can be slow or fast. You can eat for two hours or be out in 15 minutes.

They have one here in S.D. but it's over $30 bucks a meal and not always convenient to get to.

I miss having Churrascarias on every corner.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 12:58 pm
In terms of the horrid condition of food in the USA, I blame WWII.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 12:59 pm
Yeah. My complaint is about convenience, too. When you are working or stuck in the car for long periods, you really have no choice.

Metabolisms slow with age--some people like me have to be practically breadless. Nobody in the restaurant biz seems to do anything with fruits and everything is wrapped in bread. With all the awful news about US obesity and nutritional starvation--you'd think somebody would come on strong with some healthy alternatives.

Craven is still young enough to gnosh on some roast beast with whipped potatoes for a while. Meanwhile, I need quick and healthy.

I'll check out the Trader Joe's.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 01:01 pm
So, all you're asking for, Craven, is that the entire American work ethic be changed, along with a wholesale shift in attitudes towards food consumption. At least in a 30 mile radius of where you live and work.

Good luck with that.

(There have to be some good little authentic Mexican places around... that's where I would usually go when I was in L.A. One really good Mexican place, one really good Lebanese place, that saw me through most of the time.)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 01:02 pm
Craven...I have the best Churassco spot in the city almost on my doorstep, and it's cheap and fast (about $9 for a half-chicken, less, obviously for a quarter). Also....their BBQ'd rabbit is delicious. Pricier, but good.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 01:03 pm
Trader Joe's rocks for quick and healthy and cheap. You'll find quick cheap and unhealthy lots of places, healthy quick(ish) and expensive many places, but TJ's is pretty much king for all three.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 01:07 pm
sozobe wrote:
So, all you're asking for, Craven, is that the entire American work ethic be changed, along with a wholesale shift in attitudes towards food consumption. At least in a 30 mile radius of where you live and work.

No, that's just the start. I want the meat to stop being the fattest type that exists outside of Kobe Beef, I want salaries to plummet so that maids and waiters are affordable, I want a tax on anything with sugar on it because all American deserts taste like crap, I want drive-throughs to be illegal, I want juice instead of bubbly crap, and I want the "ethinic food" not to be the-same-ingredients-but-fried.

I also want Carnaval and more natural beaches...

sozobe wrote:
(There have to be some good little authentic Mexican places around... that's where I would usually go when I was in L.A. One really good Mexican place, one really good Lebanese place, that saw me through most of the time.)

There are a few, they are rarely authentic in comparison to Mexico but I guess if you compare to tacobell they are.

I have been eating that till I am sick of them. I missed Mexican food while in Brazil but eat it several tmes a week here.

Oh well, there are few places on earth where I liked the food. Brazil was one of them.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 01:09 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Craven...I have the best Churassco spot in the city almost on my doorstep, and it's cheap and fast (about $9 for a half-chicken, less, obviously for a quarter). Also....their BBQ'd rabbit is delicious. Pricier, but good.

We are talking about different things then. Maybe I should ahve clarified that I'm talking about Rodizio.

See if you have one on 1140 College St
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 01:12 pm
CDK
You know the Sugar is refined differntly in MX than here right? Notice coke tastes different? You can get a lot better vanilla for a lot less money in Mexico.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 01:13 pm
I hadn't noticed a difference in the tatse of sugar. I have noticed that sugar is the overriding taste in just about any dessert here.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 01:13 pm
There are also at least two Peruvian places, and a couple of Mexican places I can almost see from my balcony. Nice places, not expensive, sit-down though, but take-out is allowed.

Sofia, all I know about Trader Joe's is that they sell "2 Buck Chuck" Laughing but I am Canajun. A lot of these chains will provide nutritional info when asked. If you do ask, check the sugar content. A lot of chains use a lot of sugar, especially in offerings that are advertised as "low-fat" and "healthy". So if you have an issue with carbs, make sure you are not being duped by false advertising, as sugars are the worst kind of carbs. Adult-onset diabetes runs in my family, so I know. I had a scare myself not too long ago, but it was a false reading, thankfully. "If you can't sell them fat, sell them sugar", a long standing, unwritten American rule.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 01:15 pm
Craven, if it is on College St., I can safely assume it is there.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 01:15 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
I hadn't noticed a difference in the tatse of sugar. I have noticed that sugar is the overriding taste in just about any dessert here.

Cakes and baked goods are much much less sweet in MX - almost refreshing!! :wink:
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 01:16 pm
I know what you mean and miss it terribly.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 01:17 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Craven, if it is on College St., I can safely assume it is there.

Check it out. I'm not "into" food and I rarely rave but Rodizio rocks. I hope it's authentic.
0 Replies