Kerry vs Gore?

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 06:24 am

Can Kerry really beat Gore for the Democratic nomination for president?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,767 • Replies: 11
No top replies

fishin

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 08:27 am
IMO, it all depends on exactly where the Democratic party goes.. After this months elections it seems (so far) that a lot of Democrats think they lost seats because they weren't far left enough. Pelosi's selection as the House Minority lead is a step to the left (she is well to the left of Gephardt.).

If things continue on this path then I suspect Gore would beat Kerry out for the nod (and I'll wager that Gore would again lose the presidential election..). If the party pulls back to a more centerist position then Kerry should have no problem taking the reins. Kerry actually has the respect of a lot of Conservatives. I'd have no problem voting for Kerry but there is no way I'd ever vote for Gore.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 12:18 pm
Kerry
Kerry surely has the big bucks behind him Rolling Eyes .
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 01:00 pm
Gore seems to be having some problems raising money lately but you can bet money will flow in to him if he can pull off the Democratic nomination. There are a few other possible contenders out there too. Edwards and "the other Kerry" being among them.

Of the 5 or 6 top contenders Gore is, IMO, the farthest to the left. If that's the direction the party heads toward the money will flow in the direction too.

There does sem to be a contingent that thinks this is where the Democratic party should go arguing that the failure to do so cost them Senate seats this year and the large number of votes for Nader in 2000. One of the arguments being that if the party moves left the Nader defectors will come back.

This was the same type of thinking the Bush Sr. used in 1992 to try to hold onto the Buchanan defectors but it led to a bleeding out to Perot and the Reform Party and ended up costing him the election to Clinton. Personally, I credit the closeness of the 2000 elections to Buchnan's hostile takeover of the Reform Party. All of the disaffected Conservatives that had jumped to the Reform Party jumped back to the Republican ticket.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 12:52 am
If Gore can overcome Dubya, as he actually did in the 2000 election,
then he can also overcome Kerrey. Gore '04!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 08:36 am
I doubt it!
Neither Kerry nor Gore will beat Bush.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 11:35 pm
Uh, pardon my naivete, but which Kerry? Or is it Kerry and Kerrey?
My take on the "big bucks" is what I learned from Perot, Forbes, and others. It isn't enough to just have a lot of money, you also have to be successful in seperating others from theirs.

0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 07:07 am
Only Bush can beat Bush. Sort of the same way that Bush didn't win so much as Gore lost.

If things continue, Gore's big issue is the one that Bush is doing the most damage on... terracide.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 07:47 am
The USA is becoming icreasing conservative. With this background, neither Gore nor Kerry will beat Bush. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 04:13 pm
Gore has declared his stand. He is going directly at Bush. Kerry and all others need to stay back and watch what happens. I really believe it is Gore's to loose. If Bush stumbles - Gore wins. The stage is set for not only a stumble but a complete flop. Bush needs to now live up to even the small expectations he sets for himself Razz
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 04:18 pm
I need to add also that if Bush brings the Economy back, wins in Araq without many body bags, doesn't get hurt by the low income disaster, prescription drug and environment issues Arrow then Gore is not the right person and No one could defeat the Shrub!
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 05:18 pm
Neith you nor i can shape the world to enjoy Christmas.
After allowing this barbaric war and upholding torture we all show our christian culture.
happy christmas without me.
0 Replies