Sleepovers 101

sozobe

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 05:01 pm
Sozlet (age 6 -- almost 7) wants to start doing sleepovers. I'm clueless.

1.) Is it kosher for little girls to sleep in the same bed? She insists yes, I'm not sure.

2.) If the answer to #1 is "no," what should the sleepover guest sleep on? I'm thinking an inflatable mattress or something, next to sozlet's bed. (When I was a kid and slept over at people's houses, I think I just slept in a sleeping bag on the floor... maybe there was a foam camping cushion under that.)

3.) Can one expect any sleep to happen, or does sleepover = up all night?

Hmmm, I have more questions but I'll stop there for now.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 995 • Replies: 8
No top replies

martybarker

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 06:08 pm
My daughters friends usually slept in the family room in sleeping bags. I think it's acceptable to share the bed too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 06:20 pm
I've no clue - we didn't do that back then, sleepover or slumber party. But also, our beds didn't add up to such a fancy deal then. My own first bed was a painted army cot... I can picture renting a cot, but not, say, 4...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 06:27 pm
My daughter has a queen size bed so sleep overs weren't/aren't a problem -
sleep is though.

Expect to a long, long night of giggling and talking.
0 Replies

plantress

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 05:55 am
yes they can sleep together. sleep overs are a thing of beauty. I was sad after I got married when my friend's mom told me I couldn't sleep over any more cuz I needed to go home to my husband!

I have 3 girls and it's a rare weekend that doesn't find girls sleeping on the couch, on the floor w/pillows or squeezed into twin size beds. Normally it's more than one kid who sleeps over, it is usually 3 others and they stay up late and watch movies etc
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 06:02 am
Thanks everyone!

Sozlet has a twin bed, does that change anything?

The initial sleepover will be just one kid. Sozlet has acquired a new best friend and they've been begging each mom in turn for a sleepover. I think I might give in next week (if it's OK with the other mom -- I think it is, we're just both kind of "uh, not tonight.")

I did sleepovers often as a kid but they were usually actually pretty sleepy. There was one friend whose house I slept over at regularly, I think I slept as much there as I did at home.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 07:29 am
We have a regular size futon mattress that is generally stored folded under one of the girls' twin size beds and is pulled out for whatever sleepover event ensues.

If it's one guest, and they want to sleep in the living room or family room, they can share the mattress. If it's multiple guests, they can set up in the family room and use multiple couches along with the mattress for two. The largest gathering I recall was a sleep-over birthday party for six girls. They used the futon mattress, two couches, and sleeping bags on mats.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 07:40 am
I think same bed is ok. Alternatively, they could "camp out" on the floor. You could make a bid bed out of piled up blankets that they could both sleep on. Do you have a small tent? That might be fun too. I wouldn't expect them to go to sleep very early, for sure, but eventually yes. When Duckie stayed over at a friend's house they stayed up until midnight, but did eventually go to sleep. Good luck, it sounds like fun!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 07:53 am
At this age, she and her friend will fall asleep much quicker than the teens. Enjoy that while you can. Very Happy

Cubette started sleeping over / having friends spend the night around this age. Only one friend fared poorly and wanted to go home cause she missed her parents. All others were mature enough. But, be prepared to walk her home if she gets too upset.

Same bed isn't a problem in my view, although a twin size would be a bit uncomfortable. I'd put some blankets or a sleeping bag next to the bed for sozlet and offer the bed to the guest. My kids understood that to be protocol even though they always all ended up on the floor.

Oh, and lay in some good snacks, drinks, maybe let it be a special night and order out for pizza. Get an appropriate movie they both like or maybe haven't seen yet. Don't read, take a hot bath or anything else that might make you sleepy before them. Have fun!
0 Replies