Is USA matured or mellowed to have a lady or coloured ....?

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 11:14 am
Many women have sought to become President of the United States. A number received national attention,
either as pioneers in the electoral process, as potential candidates, or as candidates of minor parties with a
significant national presence. Others were from minor parties or were fringe candidates who entered major party
primaries.
One woman, Geraldine Ferraro was nominated by the Democratic party to run for the office of Vice President
in 1984. Another, Frances "Sissy" Farenthold, had her name put into nomination for Vice President at the
Democratic National Convention in 1972. In addition, Toni Nathan, the 1972 Libertarian candidate for Vice
President, became the first woman to win an electoral vote when one Republican elector voted for her instead
of for his party's candidate.

Presidential Candidates

Victoria Claflin Woodhull (1872) - The first woman to run for United States President, Woodhull was the
candidate of the Equal Rights Party
Belva Ann Bennett Lockwood (1884 and 1888) - Lockwood ran for President under the banner of the Equal
Rights Party in 1884
Margaret Chase Smith (1964 Republican
Patsy Takemoto Mink (1972) - Mink, the first woman of color to serve in the U.S. Congress, ran as an anti-war
candidate in the 1972 Oregon Democratic presidential primary, winning two percent of the votes
Ellen McCormack (1976, 1980) - McCormack entered 20 state primaries for the Democratic presidential
nomination in 1976 as an anti-abortion candidate, winning 22 convention votes
Sonia Johnson (1984)
- Johnson ran on the ticket of the Citizens Party
Patricia S. Schroeder (1988) - Schroeder, a Democrat
Lenora Fulani (1988, 1992) - New Alliance Party
Elizabeth Hanford Dole (2000) - In January 1999, Elizabeth Hanford Dole resigned her position as president
of the American Red Cross, a position she had held since 1991, to consider a run for the Republican nomination
for the U.S. presidency. She dropped out of the race in October, 1999.
Carol Moseley Braun (2004) - Ambassador Carol Moseley Braun (D-IL) was among ten Democrats seeking the
2004 presidential nomination
Hilary Rodham Clinton (2008) - Clinton is a candidate for the Democratic nomination for president
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~cawp/Facts/CanHistory/prescand.pdf
So far all those women had drawn some press attention but failed to reach the final post.
Is USA matured or mellowed to have a lady or coloured person as President?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 886 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 12:53 pm
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 04:19 pm
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 04:33 pm
I beg your pardon.
I made a mistake
I thought that this subject should be placed for discussion and without research I put it before you.
After this posting I come to realize that NYT had dealt with this subject and drawn 926 answers.( the link I had produced above)
If, only if, you are interested about this subject and the reactions please read all the 926 reactions in NYT.
It was not my intention to duplicate the subject.
Thanks
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 06:37 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
I beg your pardon.
I made a mistake
I thought that this subject should be placed for discussion and without research I put it before you.
After this posting I come to realize that NYT had dealt with this subject and drawn 926 answers.( the link I had produced above)
If, only if, you are interested about this subject and the reactions please read all the 926 reactions in NYT.
It was not my intention to duplicate the subject.
Thanks

In the United States, the politically correct term for Black people are either Black or African-American. The term you used (Coloured) is pejorative today, and goes back to the segregated 1950's.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 07:12 pm
Quote:
Is USA matured or mellowed to have a lady or coloured ....?

I'm sorry to have to say that my honest opinion is that the majority population of the US are not flexible enough in their thinking to elect a minority or female president. I know that sounds condescending- and I don't mean to be- but that's my honest take on the matter. I honestly believe that until the minority population becomes the majority (has that happened yet-isn't it supposed to happen soon?) the office of president will be selfishly guarded as an honor fit only to be bestowed upon a white male comfortable within the establishment, and with whom the establishment is comfortable.

I was talking to someone who has lived and worked both in Europe and America and we were comparing notes on the differing manifestations of thinking evidenced by communication patterns on the two continents.
This person said, "It's like there are absolutely no filters here (in America). The people here just say whatever comes into their heads without thought as to how another might receive it. It must be related to that whole freedom of speech mandate."
He then went on to compare the press and radio and tv news of the same countries, and stressed the same point.

I had to agree with him. I also notice a marked and discernable difference. And then I was thinking about how the US is a comparatively young country and I think that's reflected in its citizens, and in their methods and modes of thought and communication. I notice a certain less flexible or adaptable attitude sometimes- almost like a youthful or stubborn refusal to change or accept any sort of compromise.
And I think it's this attitude that would make the thought of a woman or minority president difficult for alot of Americans to swallow.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 07:21 pm
I have no problem with having a minority or woman president - but it all depends on who the person is and what they believe.

Just off the top of my head, Congressman J.C. Watts would probably make a better president than many of the announced candidates. And I have great admiration for former Prime Minister Thatcher. I would wholeheartedly support any American woman candidate of a similar stature.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 10:38 am
Outsourcing the American politics will make more damage.
Accepting the human values will not uphold the unfulfilled Dreams .
Non critical intellectuals are patriotic persons who denigrade the critical one.
Democracy is a foreign product in USA
SYSTEM IS ROTTEN TO THE CORE.
Iran is awaiting for the blood thirsty barbrians.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 12:44 pm
Rama,

I agree with you that the United States has no business telling other countries what form of government they should have.

I respectfully disagree with your other points.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 01:02 pm
Jim
Thanks.
Accept my views that USA is not yet matured to allow a lady or to tolerate a black person( irespective of their political vissions) in the white house.
It is reserved only for the WHITE males.
Can you contradict?
Awaiting eagerly for your response.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 01:06 pm
Sentenses that strike the attention and hurt the conscience

What a joke. White folks and other Americans are so eager to believe race is not an issue in this country. Let's reflect on the immigration issues that still plague us as a nation. Get real America.
Just because the Republicans are crazy doesn't make the Democrats sane
A strong infection requires a strong medicine
Let's not measure our progress in 217-years, but rather in our American-way of thinking. Because that is what holds a good future for the next generation
Might I point out that we have never had a Jewish president either though all the western democracies have had Jewish leaders, starting in the nineteenth century. Women have led these domocracies as well
It is time that America catches up with the rest of the world and practices what it preaches
Sure you will have black mayors and legislators , but not for the highest government position. Let not Obaama fool himself. Remember the Ad. against Ford.That will be put out against him too.
O.K. so it's time to elect a woman or a black. If either actually win in this country, I hope they too will be given another 200+ years of fixing it!
I think that Americans are skeptical about the possibility of an African American or female presidential candidate
So why are we even asking the question of whether we are ready to be who we think we are?
The same people who do not want female pastors, do not want female politicians. In the whole Christian (esp homeschool) arena, the idea of a woman leading a man in anything is not cool.
It does not matter if America is ready for them. All that matters is that they are ready for the position
The issue of the next political election should not be if Americans are sexist or racist. There are enough prime economic, juridical, and political issues to be addressed without adding these to the fray for the sake of the polls. Let's all hope that the strong candidates we all crave magically appear from the ashes of our republic in time for 2008.
If a highly Catholic nation like Chile can elect an atheist woman, we should be able to be able to follow in their footsteps..
http://news.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/12/11/the-pattern-may-change-if/
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 05:41 pm
Rama,

I would like to think the American electorate is intelligent enough to look past the color or gender of a candidate, and vote based on the positions that candidate has. Of course, I am wrong and hopelessly naive.

Today, we have a multitude of candidates running for President. Nearly every one of them is trying to become the front runner by promising more and greater government handouts to more and more people. And the few candidates who suggest restraint are hardly making a blip in the polls.

America has bankrupted herself so a generation or two of corrupt politicians (of both parties) could buy their way into, and remain in office. One day, perhaps soon, the World will admit that the Emperor has no clothes, and the Dollar will collapse in value. I imagine China will then take the place currently occupied by the United States. I wonder how all of the people who object to the United States today will fare when that happens?
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 12:18 pm
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 12:15 pm
Rama, may I ask you a question?

Let's suppose that Senator Clinton is elected the next American President in 2008. Do you really think her policies will be any different, any more enlightened than the policies of her husband when he was President? I do not see how gender is a factor in this case.

I honestly do not see any difference between any of the Democratic candidates for President. And most of the Republicans today are carbon copies of the Democrats 15 or 20 years or so ago.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 03:54 pm
Jim
I say no .
My observations are based on the news and views which I read.
I had never been to USA.
After all my "so called research" I come to the conclusion that the system is rotten to the core.
Changing the jacky will never win the race because the horse is dead tired .
My humble request is this.
go out and talke with the neighbours and shape a NEW WORLD ORDER.
Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 05:53 pm
@Ramafuchs,
My early critical prediction will prevail.
USA is so an innocent immatured country which will never admit its past, present politics.

Ask Afganisthan where Democracy is in fullwing.
Or Iraq where the people are highly elated with USA's democratic behaviour.
Come to Germany and ask the normal people about the virtues of USA's political system.
Rotten
Rubbish
Show business.
are the apt words
0 Replies