Nationalism vs. Patriotism

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 01:19 pm
@Halfback,
This is American patriotism.
The author is the present resident in White house.

The best hope for peace in our world is the expansion of freedom in all the world.

I can hear you, the rest of the world can hear you and the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon.

Americans are a free people, who know that freedom is the right of every person and the future of every nation. The liberty we prize is not America's gift to the world; it is God's gift to humanity.

We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail.

After the chaos and carnage of September 11th, it is not enough to serve our enemies with legal papers.

America is a Nation with a mission - and that mission comes from our most basic beliefs. We have no desire to dominate, no ambitions of empire. Our aim is a democratic peace - a peace founded upon the dignity and rights of every man and woman.

America must not ignore the threat gathering against us. Facing clear evidence of peril, we cannot wait for the final proof, the smoking gun that could come in the form of a mushroom cloud.

America will never seek a permission slip to defend the security of our people.

Every nation in every region now has a decision to make. Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists.

For diplomacy to be effective, words must be credible - and no one can now doubt the word of America.

Terrorist attacks can shake the foundations of our biggest buildings, but they cannot touch the foundation of America. These acts shatter steel, but they cannot dent the steel of American resolve.

Tonight we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger, and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice, or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done.

Leadership to me means duty, honor, country. It means character, and it means listening from time to time.

The momentum of freedom in our world is unmistakable - and it is not carried forward by our power alone. We can trust in that greater power Who guides the unfolding of the years. And in all that is to come, we can know that His purposes are just and true.

You can't put democracy and freedom back into a box.

As my life has become more complicated, I treasure the basics; faith, family, and my friends.

I see a great day for our country.

After the shipwreck of communism came years of relative quiet, years of repose, years of sabbatical - and then there came a day of fire.

There is only one force of history that can break the reign of hatred and resentment, and expose the pretensions of tyrants, and reward the hopes of the decent and tolerant, and that is the force of human freedom.

Our goal instead is to help others find their own voice, attain their own freedom, and make their own way.

Liberty will come to those who love it.

In America's ideal of freedom, citizens find the dignity and security of economic independence, instead of laboring on the edge of subsistence.

History has an ebb and flow of justice, but history also has a visible direction, set by liberty and the Author of Liberty.

There is no limit to the greatness of America!

We also have essential responsibilities here at home, the unfinished work of American freedom. In a world moving toward liberty, we are determined to show the meaning and the promise of liberty. The greatest strength of America is the heart and soul of the American people. Every time a volunteer reaches out to a neighbor in need, our nation grows stronger and more hopeful.

We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free.

It is important for the United States of America never to forget the transformative power of liberty. I believe there's an Almighty, and I believe a gift of that Almighty to every man, woman, and child on the face of the Earth is freedom.

It's also in our national interest to help others realize the blessings of a free society, so that when we look back at the initial chapters of the 21st century we will say we've done our duty; we defended the United States of America, and we laid the foundation for peace to come.

There is no finer honor than being the commander in chief of a fine group of men and women, and I'm proud to be in your midst.

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 02:38 pm
@Ramafuchs,
I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him. ~Abraham Lincoln

The love of one's country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border? ~Pablo Casals

Our hearts where they rocked our cradle,
Our love where we spent our toil,
And our faith, and our hope, and our honor,
We pledge to our native soil.
God gave all men all earth to love,
But since our hearts are small,
Ordained for each one spot should prove
Beloved over all.
~Rudyard Kipling

To me, it seems a dreadful indignity to have a soul controlled by geography. ~George Santayana

My kind of loyalty was loyalty to one's country, not to its institutions or its office-holders. ~Mark Twain, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, 1889

He loves his country best who strives to make it best. ~Robert G. Ingersoll

Patriotism is the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons. ~Bertrand Russell
Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 01:49 pm
@Ramafuchs,
One more intellectual observation about the banal pathetic patriotism.

WHAT is patriotism? Is it love of one's birthplace, the place of childhood's recollections and hopes, dreams and aspirations? Is it the place where, in childlike naivety, we would watch the fleeting clouds, and wonder why we, too, could not run so swiftly? The place where we would count the milliard glittering stars, terror-stricken lest each one "an eye should be," piercing the very depths of our little souls? Is it the place where we would listen to the music of the birds, and long to have wings to fly, even as they, to distant lands? Or the place where we would sit at mother's knee, enraptured by wonderful tales of great deeds and conquests? In short, is it love for the spot, every inch representing dear and precious recollections of a happy, joyous, and playful childhood?

If that were patriotism, few American men of today could be called upon to be patriotic, since the place of play has been turned into factory, mill, and mine, while deafening sounds of machinery have replaced the music of the birds. Nor can we longer hear the tales of great deeds, for the stories our mothers tell today are but those of sorrow, tears, and grief.

What, then, is patriotism? "Patriotism, sir, is the last resort of scoundrels," said Dr. Johnson. Leo Tolstoy, the greatest anti-patriot of our times, defines patriotism as the principle that will justify the training of wholesale murderers; a trade that requires better equipment for the exercise of man-killing than the making of such necessities of life as shoes, clothing, and houses; a trade that guarantees better returns and greater glory than that of the average workingman.

Gustave Hervé, another great anti-patriot, justly calls patriotism a superstition--one far more injurious, brutal, and inhumane than religion. The superstition of religion originated in man's inability to explain natural phenomena. That is, when primitive man heard thunder or saw the lightning, he could not account for either, and therefore concluded that back of them must be a force greater than himself. Similarly he saw a supernatural force in the rain, and in the various other changes in nature. Patriotism, on the other hand, is a superstition artificially created and maintained through a network of lies and falsehoods; a superstition that robs man of his self-respect and dignity, and increases his arrogance and conceit.

Indeed, conceit, arrogance, and egotism are the essentials of patriotism
http://sunsite3.berkeley.edu/Goldman/Writings/Anarchism/patriotism.html
0 Replies