Anti-depressants and creativity: Help or Hinder?

jake123

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 07:07 am
I've been diagnosed with depression and prescribed anti-depressants. I just started taking them and I'm a little afraid.

I write lyrics for my heavy-metal band. I've drawn deeply on my hurt, anger and sadness to do so.

What I'm afraid of is how the A.D's will affect my writing.

Has anyone experienced this. Has anyone felt their writing has improved or declined after going on anti-depressants?

Should I post this in another section? Or, has this been brought up somewhere else?

Noddy24

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 09:32 am
Jake--

Depression is a notorious energy sapper. Creativity needs energy.

Hurt, anger and sadness are powerful emotions--but they are not the only emotions. Hurt is generally personal, but anger and sadness can be cosmic.

You say you write the lyrics for your heavy metal band. Do you get the credit on the jacket cover for the lyrics--or do you credit the black beast riding your shoulder?
0 Replies

jake123

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 09:46 am
I get the credits, but I'll give the black beast his due from now on.

I do know that I've felt stuck in a rut when it comes to writing lyrics. I've wanted to get away from the death and doom in my lyrics and try to turn more to a political and social voice.

My best lyrics, IMO, have been inspired by and tell stories. Some about people I've known and some about stories I've read.

Much of what I've written is just stuff that pops into my head and follows the formula for a heavy metal song.

You are spot on when you say depression saps energy. I know that the anti-depressants are supposed to take 10 days to three weeks to kick in. It seems though, that they have already started to make a difference in my energy level. Today is only the second day. I'm not all mopy and morose like I've been for a long time.

I just hope I can really start to put together some intelligent, thought provoking lyrics. I know some people would say that those are not properties of a heavy metal song, but they are people that never really tried to listen to some of the more intelligent metal out there.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 10:22 am
I work in a creative field (photography) and I have taken Prozac on and off (mostly on) for years.

Taking anti-depressants hasn't changed who I am or what I think -- they allow me to function more as a part of the world instead of everything being so directed inward. I still feel sad (and scared and mad and frustrated) at times but it isn't so overwhelming.

I can't really say if it has had an effect on my creativity. I'll have to think on that a bit. What it has helped is my ability to communicate with other people and for you, I imagine that would be a good effect since that what writing is all about, really.

As far as feeling immediate effects I think it probably has something to do with admitting that you need help and getting it. That in itself is a doozy of a step -- psyhic liquid plumber or something -- unblocking a lot of stuff you haven't allowed yourself to express can make you feel a lot better.

Good for you for taking that step to helping yourself feel better.
0 Replies

jake123

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 10:35 am
Thanks Boom!

Quote:
As far as feeling immediate effects I think it probably has something to do with admitting that you need help and getting it. That in itself is a doozy of a step -- psyhic liquid plumber or something -- unblocking a lot of stuff you haven't allowed yourself to express can make you feel a lot better.

I actually had this same thought from the beginning. Since I've only had two days on the Wellbutrin, it seems unrealistic to believe it is actually working already. I do know I was told there could be some "hyper" feelings at first like a stimulant effect. I've felt that, but not sure if its the meds or the pot of coffee I drink every day.

I am really hoping this will help to unlock the ability to explore some of the subject matter I've been wanting to write more about.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 11:05 am
My daughter is extremely creative (artistic, musical, writer) and she does her best drawings when she isn't depressed. Her meds took a week or so to become effective, but she was too exhausted to draw/play/write when she was clinically depressed.

Anti-depressants don't make you a different person. They just remove the anvil you carry around.
0 Replies

Willows

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 11:36 am
jake, what's the worst that could happen? You could start writing songs for some boy-band or Hillary Duff. :wink:
0 Replies

jake123

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 12:16 pm
Willows wrote:
jake, what's the worst that could happen? You could start writing songs for some boy-band or Hillary Duff. :wink:

Uh, Um, yeah. You're right. That's the worst that could happen! Very Happy
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 12:35 pm
jake123 wrote:
Willows wrote:
No, it isn't jake123. I suggest you read the side effects real carefully.
0 Replies

jake123

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 01:22 pm
TTH wrote:
jake123 wrote:
Willows wrote:
No, it isn't jake123. I suggest you read the side effects real carefully.

Oh yeah! I forgot about that! I'm actually on two meds, one could cause impotence and the other I should look out for priapism!

Actually, I think being responsible for boy-band swill is kinda like being impotent anyway.

Or were you refering to the risk of seizure??? Or was it the possible increased thoughts of suicide. That one I'm not concerned with as much as I am 37 years old.
0 Replies

Willows

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 06:46 pm
jake123 wrote:

Oh yeah! I forgot about that! I'm actually on two meds, one could cause impotence and the other I should look out for priapism!

Actually, I think being responsible for boy-band swill is kinda like being impotent anyway.

Laughing
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 04:53 am
I was only pointing out that there can be side effects and you should be aware of them.
0 Replies

jake123

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 06:19 am
TTH wrote:
I was only pointing out that there can be side effects and you should be aware of them.

I know. Thanks.

I'm the type of person that will read the data sheets that come with the prescription. Then, I go online and research as much as I can.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 10:36 am
Well, that is more than most people do. Are you talking about the data sheet from the pharmacy or from the manufacturer of the drug?
0 Replies

jake123

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 11:03 am
TTH wrote:
Well, that is more than most people do. Are you talking about the data sheet from the pharmacy or from the manufacturer of the drug?

Both
0 Replies

preeminentpredator

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 04:02 am
Did your psychiatrist tell you what form of depression you have before giving you meds? So many people are given anti-depressants when they honestly do not need them. I majored in abnormal psych just to understand my condition more clearly. DEPENDING ON THE SEVERITY. If you are suffering from "normal" depression and take scripts, your serotonin levels may change over time, for the worse. You may need to switch scripts just to feel normal again when you were not lacking in serotonin to begin with.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 04:36 am
jake123 wrote:

Oh yeah! I forgot about that! I'm actually on two meds, one could cause impotence .

There's a few anti-depressants that cause ejaculatory delay in males. It's not impotence exactly, in that you can still "do the deed". You just can't feel anything.
0 Replies

jake123

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 10:46 am
preeminentpredator wrote:
Did your psychiatrist tell you what form of depression you have before giving you meds? So many people are given anti-depressants when they honestly do not need them. I majored in abnormal psych just to understand my condition more clearly. DEPENDING ON THE SEVERITY. If you are suffering from "normal" depression and take scripts, your serotonin levels may change over time, for the worse. You may need to switch scripts just to feel normal again when you were not lacking in serotonin to begin with.

No. She didn't tell me what kind of depression. That is an excellent question for me to ask her.

I see my therapist this afternoon, so I will bring it up. I still have to talk to the prescribing psych about it though.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 12:56 pm
Re: Anti-depressants and creativity: Help or Hinder?
jake123 wrote:
I've been diagnosed with depression and prescribed anti-depressants. I just started taking them and I'm a little afraid.

I write lyrics for my heavy-metal band. I've drawn deeply on my hurt, anger and sadness to do so.

What I'm afraid of is how the A.D's will affect my writing.

Has anyone experienced this. Has anyone felt their writing has improved or declined after going on anti-depressants?

Should I post this in another section? Or, has this been brought up somewhere else?

Anti-depressants should not hinder your ability to feel hurt, anger, sadness, or happiness, they should allow you access to the whole gamut of feelings. In the correct dosage there should be no symptoms except the lack of depression, if there are then change the dosage or try another anti-depressant. I used Limbitrol in the past with no side effects except a little constipation, which was alleivated with more fiber in the diet. Initially the dosage made me feel terrible so I cut the pill in half, and it removed the side effects. I would reject any drug that had impotence as a side effect, because that would be substituting a drug for a natural release.
0 Replies

jake123

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 01:23 pm
Well, so far my "equipment" is functioning properly.

As for lack of depression? I am finding it difficult to differentiate between normal hurt and sadness and real depression.

I am going through and enormously emotional time now. (see the "married and started an affair with an old flame" thread in relationships and marriage)
0 Replies