Anti-depressants and creativity: Help or Hinder?

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 04:07 pm
Why is this topic in "Original Writing"? Shocked

Jake, did you ask your therapist what kind of depression you're
suffering from? p.e.predator raises some excellent questions here,
especially when medication is altering seratonin levels.

I've cautioned you before on these anti-depressants, and I would
like to hear an update, if you don't mind.
0 Replies

jake123

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 08:16 am
CalamityJane wrote:
Why is this topic in "Original Writing"? Shocked

Jake, did you ask your therapist what kind of depression you're
suffering from? p.e.predator raises some excellent questions here,
especially when medication is altering seratonin levels.

I've cautioned you before on these anti-depressants, and I would
like to hear an update, if you don't mind.

This topic is in "Original Writing" because I write lyrics for my band and I wanted to see if other writers have been through depression and anti-depressants. I wanted to find out what, if any, effect the meds had on creativity.

As far as what kind of depression? I asked my counselor, "If you think I'm depressed because of all the loss in my life, isn't that more situational than chemical?" She told me that yes, it is circumstances that lead to my depression, but the effects on the chemical makeup are the same whether the depression originates with the chemical imbalance or whether life events trigger the depression and cause the chemical imbalance.

I don't know if I've paraphrased what she said well enough, and I'm sure someone is going to tell me that it is inaccurate, but frankly, When I talk to the psych. or my therapist I am more focused on my therapy and forget to ask about the meds. I will make a point to probe more into it with the psych. next session.

I feel that the meds are helping me out. I've had no noticeable side-effects aside from "jitters" every once-in-a-while. My focus has improved, and I don't get the rock-bottom emotional lows that I did before.

Could I have come to this point with therapy alone? I don't know. At the time the meds were prescribed, I felt a real need. I wasn't able to focus on my job. I wasn't able to keep my finances in order. I wasn't attentive to my children.

Thanks, C.J. for the concern. And for reminding me to do some more research. I know at this point, having been on the meds since...well since I first posted here, they are pretty well established in my system. I can start asking about what they need to see in me to determine that the meds are no longer necessary.

As far as my writing...I haven't been doing much. That is not unusual, meds or not. I go through more dry periods than active all the time.
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 01:56 pm
Jake123,

I am a writer (essay, short fiction, screenplay, poetry, memoir--but only ONE song!), and I have been clinically depressed several times in my life. I have been treated always by "talk therapy" and, usually, with prescription drugs as well. There is considerable scientific evidence that the combination of talk therapy with drugs leads to the most rapid results and least chance of serious return bouts of depression. If you can communicate well with your therapist, this is possibly even more useful to you than the drug component of your treatment. BUT, please don't stop the drugs without a physician's okay! Usually, the drugs take several weeks to do their best job. Some do, as you have noticed, make you feel different, if not yet better, quite quickly. And some drugs work VERY well for some people (matching your body chemistry to the most effective drug is the province of M.D.s). Wellbutrin belongs to a chemical family of its own, and it's very low in side effects. Also, it's strong. These MAY be some of the reasons your doc started you on it. By the way, NEVER take advice on medication or dosage of any sort from anyone other than a physician who knows you personally and whom you have met with personally. Lots of laypeople have thoughts about drugs--esp. psychtropic drugs; they typically mean very well, but please remember that your body chemistry is at least partially unique to you, and, therefore, you need expert medical advice when it comes to meds/dosage.

I have NEVER found that anti-depressants blocked my writing. Nor have they distorted my moods, my judgment, or my creativity. However, as several people on this thread, yourself included, have pointed out, a chief side effect of depression is feeling tired. This lack of energy comes and goes. If it's really bad, then, of course, you're going to find it hard to pick up pen and paper. This has very seldom happened to me. I have found that there are "tired" and "tired." If I feel too tired to write easily, I go out and grab some physical exercise, for which I typically do not feel tired. The last time I was depressed, I went climbing for an hour every day--and walked the road hard for an hour every day it was too wet for the hills. Often, I'd come home feeling refreshed and with the kind of energy I needed to think and write. Again, there is a good deal of scientific evidence that regular, moderately-heavy exercise speeds recovery from depression. Do try to get a normal (for you; if in doubt, ask your therapist) amount of sleep, too. That's really important. Also, every day, try to do at least one thing that's FUN for you. I know that sounds dumb, but it can be a major help. You are, after all, training your body and mind to feel good again!

All Best wishes
0 Replies

jake123

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 02:20 pm
Thanks Miklos.

I am indeed putting trust in the doctor. At the same time, trying my best to advocate for myself and ask important questions.

As far as writing goes, I think I've limited myself to song lyrics because they're relatively short and I can edit to an end result faster.

I have wanted to delve into prose, maybe starting with short stories. I've had big ideas come into my head about writing a novel-length story, but I seem to run out of steam even in the outline stage.

I like the Idea of using exercise to energize. Way back, before my sons were born (9years) I used to work out at the Y. I'd leave work all tired and dragging, but feel refreshed after a workout.

I'm also trying to buy into "positive thinking". Although chronically positive people have always irritated me. That may have been a symptem of the depression though.

Doing something fun every day? Not a lot of time for that. But I could try and find little 5-10 minute things.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 02:37 pm
Jake--

I understand what you were talking about---depression and difficulty open people up to a deeper reality that many times leads to better writing.

Loss of depression made me unable to write for a while...but it does improve.

The most important thing is feeliing better. Everythng else must adjust to that, sweetheart.

I'm happy that you're addressing your health. I'm sure you'll be able to write. Don't freak if you have a period of adjustment.

Best luck, sweety!!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 02:39 pm
PS-- If you write for boy bands of any of those annoying preteen girls, I will have to put a hit out on ya.

Amen.
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 02:57 pm
Jake123,

I, too, have a problem with "chronically positive people." I find them unrealistic and, sometimes, self-deluding. Life simply isn't happy ALL the time. I have a strong hunch that some of these blue birds are whistling in the dark and are sometimes down themselves. There may, in fact, be a Blue Bird Sign for depression. When I have been depressed, it was important to me that I minimize my exposure to anyone who aggressively tried to jolly me along. There IS a certain amount of boot-strapping that comes into play as you help yourself rise from depression, but I bloody well don't need a cheerleader, thank you very much! A kind word or look of understanding--that's all I needed.

Five-to-ten minutes of fun is PERFECT. Hey, if you could do fun for several hours, you probably wouldn't call yourself depressed, right?

I, too, occasionally, have novel-sized ideas. You can feel the dimension of various propositions in your mind. As I tend towards multiple edits to get things to say close to what I want them to, I have gravitated towards shorter works. The memoir took me 2 and 1/2 years. The thought of writing at that length again is daunting! I've come to feel that our natural forms chose us. Yes, we can write against this natural grain, but it's likely going to be a slog. If you can write songs, I'll bet you could write short fiction. If you're inclined, try it sometime when the energy feels right for it. It's always nice to have two genres to switch back and forth between. If I slow at poetry, I write another style of poem--or a short essay, or a short story. Then, back to poetry. The double option helps one avoid running out of gas. No need to feel "blocked;" switch to another form.

You have kids! They can be a major help. Play with them, and you will likely find that this is yet another form of energy--and you'll probably feel refreshed. Also, kids are very smart; they can sense where you are. If you play with them, they'll be reassured and they'll feel helpful.

All the Best
0 Replies

PianoManAlex

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 01:53 pm
Thank you for discussing this topic. Interference with creativity was one of the chief concerns I had when frist introduced to anti-depressants. Lately, I don't seem to create at all--no poetry, no music, no acting for a while. I'm hoping it's not because of the anti-depressants. Frankly, I just don't want to lose my spontaneity or even interfere with the part of my mind that was always good at mathematics and science. But I'm glad some of you are reporting that creativity hasn't necessarily been affected.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 05:39 pm
@PianoManAlex,
Hello PianoManAlex,

for how long have you been taking antidepressants ? If taken too long they can
counteract and trigger adverse symptoms. A good therapist is using antidepressants as a last resort and teaches you how to cope with your problem
resp. lets you see the light at the end of the tunnel, as opposed to being in
the tunnel nonstop.
0 Replies