Italy or France: Which has the better cuisine?

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 01:47 pm
Out of the two great superpowers of cuisine, who wins the overall prize?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 6,369 • Replies: 97
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 01:49 pm
Italy.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 01:50 pm
What are you expecting, Kicky?

Let those who know both, talk..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 02:20 pm
Re: Italy or France: Which has the better cuisine?
kickycan wrote:
superpowers of cuisine
Neither of the options provided.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 02:33 pm
Sweden

well how the hell should I know

its all the same stuff, just comes in different packets.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 02:34 pm
Re: Italy or France: Which has the better cuisine?
ehBeth wrote:
kickycan wrote:
superpowers of cuisine
Neither of the options provided.

Well then, who are the two superpowers of cuisine in your opinion?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 02:35 pm
Botswana and Sweden
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 02:36 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
Sweden

well how the hell should I know

its all the same stuff, just comes in different packets.

Thanks for your opinion. You being from England I can understand how you might be a little bit confused by a thread about great food.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 02:39 pm
Quote:
It is a frequent boast that London is the restaurant capital of the world. Today that is demonstrated beyond a shadow of doubt. According to a panel of international experts more than one in five of the best restaurants in the world are in London. The jury of more than 500 chefs, critics and journalists voted for the 50 best restaurants in the world - and chose 11 from London. That is an increase of two on last year - even though this year's panel includes far more restaurateurs from abroad. Fourteen British restaurants made the top 50, one more than last year. Evening Standard - London
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 02:41 pm
Francis wrote:

I have no expectations, just curiosity. I remember when I was in Italy I got into a conversation with a guy who owned a bar/restaurant and he mentioned that the Italians and the French were always bickering about which one had the best cuisine, the best wine, etc. I don't know why that popped into my head just now, but I thought it would be interesting to see what people on A2K thought about it.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 02:44 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
Quote:
It is a frequent boast that London is the restaurant capital of the world. Today that is demonstrated beyond a shadow of doubt. According to a panel of international experts more than one in five of the best restaurants in the world are in London. The jury of more than 500 chefs, critics and journalists voted for the 50 best restaurants in the world - and chose 11 from London. That is an increase of two on last year - even though this year's panel includes far more restaurateurs from abroad. Fourteen British restaurants made the top 50, one more than last year. Evening Standard - London

Yeah, but what they didn't tell you is that most of those restaurants probably serve italian food. Ha!
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 02:44 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
Quote:

Any of them serve english food? Very Happy
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 02:48 pm
Having been to both countries and eaten & cooked both cuisines, I'd have to say they are equal for different reasons. One of the things the French do best is sauces, and to me, a great sauce can retrieve an otherwise bland meal (not that I've ever had a bland French meal). But their sauces are a work of art.

On the other hand, Veal Marsala, Osso Bucco, Italian pizzas (sans cheese!), and espresso are to die for. I love Italian, except for the pasta, which I find feh Smile However, some of their pasta sauces are wonderful, redeeming the pasty dishes.

I don't like heavy food, so if you eat French food, you won't get that, as a rule. With Italian, I just order or eat less as I find their food to be extremely filling.

But they're both delicious.

Okay, that's my 2 cents' worth.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 02:48 pm
kickycan wrote:
Francis wrote:

I have no expectations, just curiosity. I remember when I was in Italy I got into a conversation with a guy who owned a bar/restaurant and he mentioned that the Italians and the French were always bickering about which one had the best cuisine, the best wine, etc. I don't know why that popped into my head just now, but I thought it would be interesting to see what people on A2K thought about it.
With respect I think its a daft question. Who produces the better art? Music? Motor cars? Spaghetti?

Perhaps they are both pretty good. Why just France and Italy? What about Germany?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 02:56 pm
kickycan wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, but what they didn't tell you is that most of those restaurants probably serve italian food. Ha!
define italian food! Food that says made in Italy on the can? A chef who's grandmother was Sicilian? Its all just stuff mixed together and warmed up a little.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 02:58 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
Why just France and Italy?

I'm sorry, I was unaware that every question on A2K had to be all-inclusive. Where does it say that in the TOS?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 02:58 pm
Ahhh, Germany. Their claim to fame is their meat! In fact, I don't even think they know what a vegetable is, other than sauerkraut. I had a difficult time finding veggies while there.

However, their bratwurst and weisswurst is to die for, as is their wienel schnitzel...

And I had something called groenesausse (sp?) which I loved and could be called a veggie condiment.

I did have one terrible meal, I think it was in Frankfurt - it was some kind of Schweineplatte and came with these hideous huge and fat boiled sausages which squirted their insides out when you pierced them. I completely lost my appetite.

I could have lived on their bratwursts, though. Yummy.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 03:00 pm
kickycan wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
Why just France and Italy?

I'm sorry, I was unaware that every question on A2K had to be all-inclusive. Where does it say that in the TOS?
It doesnt. Just being argumentative. But what about Germany?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 03:03 pm
I couldn't imagine 500 of the best restaurants in the world all competing to see who can serve the best bangers and mash.

The best cuisine in the world is cajun/creole...
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 03:05 pm
cjhsa wrote:
...The best cuisine in the world is cajun/creole...

no it isnt

The best cuisine in the world is what my mother used to cook
0 Replies