'Cleaning' a drive

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 06:18 am
I've had had recently some troubles with my Windows (XP prof), which were solved by the nice and competent advice of monger.

However, some minor "rumbling" still occurs. So I think, it would be the best, to reformat my drive C (that's the one, where Windows is installed).

I've never did this before. (I know that I must re-install all my programs!)

Perhaps some computer genius can tell me dummy in very simple word how to do so? :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 899 • Replies: 8
No top replies

fishin

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 06:25 am
Hi walter,

Do you have a complete Windows XP Pro disc or do you have a "system recovery disc" supplied by your PC's manufacturer?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 06:27 am
product (!) recovery disc, fishin. (When I re-installed Windows before, it copied the complete program)
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 11:20 am
Hi Walter,

First of all have you backed up any data you'll need?

The easiest way to format your computer would usually be to use a product recovery CD as that will setup all your programs too. The last time you set up your PC you installed a 2nd copy of WinXP rather than clearing everything out, no? Did you see any option when you used your recovery CD to format the hard drive, partition it, do a "clean install" or some such?

The 2nd easiest way would be to use a WinXP setup CD. During the early stages of installation it comes to a point where it lets you re-partition your hard drive (this would wipe everything out while it's at it).

Your 3rd bet would be to get your hands on (or download) a Windows 98 or ME startup disk. It includes format.com & fdisk.exe which will allow you to do what you gotta do from a DOS prompt. Lemme know if you need any help with this.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 11:42 am
Thanks, monger!

I'll try it, option 1, I mean.

And yes, I've backed up what I need: only the favorites from IE and aol :wink: (Which I know now, where to be found Laughing ).

Thanks again!
0 Replies

USAFHokie

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 02:49 pm
what do you mean "rumbling" ?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 03:02 pm
There had been some minor 'disturbances', USAFHokie.
Thanks for asking!

But since I followed monger's kind advice, I've a clean drive "C" with fresh installed Win XP prof now again .... and weeks to wait, until I re-installed all my software :wink:
0 Replies

USAFHokie

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 10:41 am
well "rubling" and "disturbances" isn't really descriptive... but you might want to run scandisk as well, to check for bad sectors and whatnot. repartitioning and formating may temporarily solve the problem... until you write over them again. and if the drive itself is "rumbling" and/or clicking... you might wanna think about guying a new one... cause that could be a sign the io heads are about to crash into the platters (BAD).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 11:55 am
Indeed, it is a very bad description.

I just wanted to say, that Windows wasn't running smoothly. Now, re-installed, it's all okay.

Thanks for your help.
0 Replies