Bush threatened nations that did not back Iraq war: report

Zippo

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 10:33 am
Bush threatened nations that did not back Iraq war: report

"US President George W. Bush threatened nations with retaliation if they did not vote for a UN resolution backing the Iraq war, according to a transcript published Wednesday of a conversation he had with former Spanish prime minister Jose Maria Aznar.

In the transcript of a meeting on February 22, 2003 -- a month before the US-led invasion of Iraq -- published in El Pais newspaper, Bush tells Aznar that nations such as Mexico, Angola, Chile and Cameroon must know that the security of the United States is at stake.

He says during the meeting on his ranch in Texas that Angola stood to lose financial aid while Chile could see a free trade agreement held up in the US Senate if they did not back the resolution, the left-wing paper said."

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5g3bV2LfRcSgbK7btDtgfbe2NGt8Q

-------------

Wow, Bush attempting economic blackmail on other countries if they didn't support his war!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 362 • Replies: 4
No top replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 11:26 am
i remember this story, and several others i've read today.

it's just as stupid as it was back then. the president, not the story. although the story is pretty dumb as well.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 11:58 am
From the AFP article:

Quote:
In the transcript of a meeting on February 22, 2003 -- a month before the US-led invasion of Iraq -- published in El Pais newspaper, Bush tells Aznar that nations such as Mexico, Angola, Chile and Cameroon must know that the security of the United States is at stake.

He says during the meeting on his ranch in Texas that Angola stood to lose financial aid while Chile could see a free trade agreement held up in the US Senate if they did not back the resolution, the left-wing paper said.

Wow. Proper reminder of how brave these countries - poor and small in comparison with the world's superpowers - were in refusing to give in. In refusing to back the vote to authorize the war that the US was pushing for. Leaving Bush with just four out of fourteen countries on the UN Security Council willing to support it.

Quote:
But during the meeting with Aznar, Bush made it clear the US would invade Iraq by the end of March 2003 whether or not there was a UN resolution to authorize it, El Pais reported.

Well, so much for the repeated assertions that it was not a done deal then.

And then, for the kicker,

Quote:
We will be in Baghdad at the end of March," Bush said in the transcript which was translated into Spanish by the newspaper.

"We can win without destruction. We are already planning a post-Saddam Iraq and I think there is a good basis for a better future. Iraq has a good bureaucracy and a relatively robust civil society," he added.

During the meeting Aznar tells Bush that he is worried by the US president's optimism.

"I am optimistic because I believe I am right. I am at peace with myself," Bush responded according to the transcript.

Dude. Shocked

Epitaph to a folly.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 12:01 pm
Oh wait, this bit is interesting too: Smile

Quote:
Asked by Aznar whether Saddam could leave with a guarantee that he would not be prosecuted, Bush replied: "No guarantee. He is a thief, a terrorist, a war criminal."

"Compared to Saddam, Milosovic is a Mother Teresa. When we go in we are going to find many more criminals and take them to the International Court of Justice in The Hague," he added.

Who knew Bush was such a supporter of the ICJ?
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 02:13 pm
Bush probably thought The Hague was just french for "To Hang".

Innocent error.
0 Replies