Leaked Bush speech reveals pronunciation help

Zippo

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 09:16 am
From The Times
September 26, 2007
Mix-up reveals what President George Bush must do when words fail him at UN

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00212/president-385_212710a.jpg

James Bone in New York

George Bush gave a rare insight into his struggle with pronunciation yesterday when the White House mistakenly released an unedited script of his speech to the UN General Assembly.

The President, famous for mangling the pronunciation of 'nuclear', coining words such as 'misunderestimate' and once forgetting the name of President Musharraf of Pakistan, gets a phonetic guide to key foreign names, the text reveals.

Mr Bush is coached not only on far-flung foreign places such as 'KEYR-geez-stan' but also the name of his new French ally, President 'sar-KO-zee'. He received no aid with the pronunciation of the Burmese opposition leader, and duly stumbled when he tried to pronounce 'Aung San Suu Kyi'.

David Frum, a former Bush speechwriter, told The Times that all presidential speeches contained phonetic guides, but passing the unedited version to the press was an 'oversight'. The accidental release of the pronunciation guide marred an otherwise eloquent address to the 192-nation UN General Assembly, Mr Bush urged member states to join in a 'mission of liberation' and predicted that 'the long rule of a cruel dictator is nearing its end' in Cuba.

'This great institution must work for great purposes: to free people from tyranny and violence; to combat disease, illiteracy, and ignorance and poverty and despair,' he said.

Making only a passing reference to the war in Iraq, Mr Bush saluted 'young democracies' in Iraq, Lebanon and Afghanistan, and called on the world to support the 'moderate' leaders of the Palestinian lands.

The President gave warning that extremists were trying to impose a 'hateful vision' on the world, although he did not mention al-Qaeda by name. 'In the long run the best way to defeat extremists is to defeat their dark ideology with a more hopeful vision ' the vision of liberty.'

Mr Bush excoriated the 'brutal regimes' in Belarus, Iran, North Korea, Syria and Zimbabwe and looked ahead to the end of Fidel Castro's rule.

'The Cuban people are ready for their freedom,' he said. 'As that nation enters a period of transition, the UN must insist on free speech, free assembly and, ultimately, free and competitive elections.'

The Cuban delegation walked out, calling Mr Bush's speech 'arrogant and mediocre'. Most of the US delegation in turn left the room when President Ahmadinejad rose to speak, reiterating that Iran's nuclear programme was 'completely peaceful and transparent'.

The major powers had 'lost the competence to lead the world,' the Iranian leader declared. 'Palestine and Iraq will be liberated from the domination of the occupiers, and the people of America and Europe will be free of the pressures exerted by the Zionists.'

This is how he says it

Pronunciation guides from the mistakenly released speech:

Sarkozy sar-KO-zee
Mugabe moo-GAH-bee
Harare hah-RAR-ray
Kyrgyzstan KEYR-geez-stan
Mauritania moor-EH-tain-ee-a

------------------

When Bush speaks, the world laughs. Shame on America for electing a retarded President. Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 722 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Coolwhip

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 12:39 pm
And no other presidents have used phonetic guides?
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 12:54 pm
Quote:

If you know of any, then please post their names. What are you waiting for? I can't imagine any of our past Presidents with lower intelligence than Dumbya.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 12:58 pm
Quote:
What are you waiting for?

Jesus christ you're aggressive. I was merely asking a question... The few points you make are lost in you being a complete fanatic.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 01:08 pm
Zippo wrote:
Quote:

If you know of any, then please post their names. What are you waiting for?

Quote:
Facts about John F. Kennedy's 1963 "ich bin ein Berliner" speech

BERLIN: John F. Kennedy's visit and his "ich bin ein Berliner" speech have become the stuff of history and legend in the ensuring 43 years. Some facts:

Kennedy, not speechwriters, seems to have come up with the phrase, according to historian Andreas Daum. Notes from a meeting before he left for Europe have "I am a Berliner" scrawled in a bottom corner in Kennedy's handwriting.

The president rehearsed a few German phrases with interpreter Robert Lochner at the White House before traveling. Lochner, who died in 2003, recounted in an interview that the president mangled the pronunciation, then asked how he sounded.

"At least it was better than your brother Bobby," was the best Lochner could muster, referring to Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy.

Kennedy wrote the line out phonetically on a note card: "Ish been ein Bearleener" to get the pronunciation right.

"Ich bin ein Berliner" does not mean "I am a jelly donut" as some later claimed, maintaining Kennedy should have omitted the word "ein." (A Berliner is a kind of pastry.)

Heinz Weber, the German Foreign Ministry interpreter who translated Kennedy's speech to the crowd, says the donut story was "nonsense." Omitting "ein" would have been wrong because that would have meant the president was born in Berlin, he said.

What Kennedy wanted to say was "I am one of you...I want to let you know that I will stand by your side," said Weber, 82. "All of that is in 'Ich bin ein Berliner,' but not in 'ich bin Berliner,' that's too weak," Weber said. "And I'm not aware of anyone making fun of him."

Historian Daum concurred: "Kennedy's German was perfectly correct."
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 01:11 pm
Sorry Coolwhip Crying or Very sad

I wasn't born aggressive, it's Dumbya's fault. When i go abroad, it's embarrassing to say i am American. I pretend to be Canadian. Americans are hated all over the world, because of Bush's illigal wars...
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 01:13 pm
Zippo wrote:

I wasn't born aggressive, it's Dumbya's fault. When i go abroad, it's embarrassing to say i am American. I pretend to be Canadian. Americans are hated all over the world, because of Bush's illigal wars...

What does illigal mean?
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 01:15 pm
And it makes sense, as a president you are required to read a LOT of documents and if you can ease this burden in any way then phonetic writing is probably a good solution.

I don't like Bush but you're grasping for straws.
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 01:17 pm
Quote:
Kennedy wrote the line out phonetically on a note card: "Ish been ein Bearleener" to get the pronunciation right.

That was very smart of Kennedy he doesnt need to be 'coached'. Why is Bush unable to use his mental abilities?. Do you see the difference old europe ?
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 01:19 pm
Brand X wrote:
Zippo wrote:

What does illigal mean?

It means that i can't spell. What do you want a medal?
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 01:20 pm
Zippo wrote:

Oh sorry, didn't see your post there. It's fine, but I wouldn't blame America's bad reputation on 'Dumbya' alone. The way America acts like some kind of 'world police' is probably what pisses most people off. And America did this before Bush was instated. Bush just enforces the stereotype that all Americans are stupid. Very Happy No offence, just layin' it out there.
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 01:30 pm
Coolwhip wrote:
Zippo wrote:

Oh sorry, didn't see your post there. It's fine, but I wouldn't blame America's bad reputation on 'Dumbya' alone. The way America acts like some kind of 'world police' is probably what pisses most people off. And America did this before Bush was instated. Bush just enforces the stereotype that all Americans are stupid. Very Happy No offence, just layin' it out there.

Thanks for being straight forward, i like you.
This old quote still stands then:

"The Left is always Right, and the Right is always wrong"
0 Replies